Suggestions anyone??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgoochman

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Metairie, La.
    He guys. Looking for some suggestions on what would be the best format to try competition shooting. I heard some guys talking about it at lunch a while back, and it has sparked my interest. I just have no idea were to start. Any feed back would be much appreciated!!

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, first thing is: don't go buy a bunch of equipment you don't already have. If you have a good over under go shoot some skeet / sporting clays. I used to compete pretty heavily in Texas with clays. If you have a pistol with a good holster and 4+ magazines come shoot USPSA (www.lagator.org), and if you already own a good "service rifle", you can google "high power rifle" matches around your area. If you give us a little more information about your interests there's a ton of guys on this board that can help you.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    He guys. Looking for some suggestions on what would be the best format to try competition shooting. I heard some guys talking about it at lunch a while back, and it has sparked my interest. I just have no idea were to start. Any feed back would be much appreciated!!

What do you have to start with? Pistol? Type? Experience? Holster?
    Do you have weekends off?
    How much money do you have/want to devote to competitive shooting?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Steel is the least demanding (equipment wise) and by far the easiest for a new shooter to get in to. The most pressing safety issues are eliminated thanks to the mostly static nature of the CoF, which seems to take a lot of stress off of new shooters.

TPS runs steel matches in place of IDPA when it's "too hot", and the last I heard would still be conducting them now that the weather has cooled down. LSS has a regularly scheduled match in Thibodaux every second Saturday. There are also man-on-man "clash of steel" type matches in Mississippi, although that may be a bit far for you to drive.

The Steel Challenge-style matches are a wonderful introduction. It stresses/tests the fundamentals of action/speed shooting, exposes you to the stresses of the timer, doesn't require a ton (if any) movement, and typically doesn't call for reloads at speed. If you've got a pistol, 3 magazines with 15+ round capacity (or anything else that adds up to a similar total number) and a feasible OWB holster, you're already equipped to compete. You'll get to shoot a lot, which is huge for your first time out IMO. The set up and take down is short and sweet, and resetting the stage is little more than a few spritzes of spray paint. Best of all-- instant feedback on your performance! There's nothing like making that steel sing!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Steel is the least demanding (equipment wise) and by far the easiest for a new shooter to get in to. The most pressing safety issues are eliminated thanks to the mostly static nature of the CoF, which seems to take a lot of stress off of new shooters.

TPS runs steel matches in place of IDPA when it's "too hot", and the last I heard would still be conducting them now that the weather has cooled down. LSS has a regularly scheduled match in Thibodaux every second Saturday. There are also man-on-man "clash of steel" type matches in Mississippi, although that may be a bit far for you to drive.

The Steel Challenge-style matches are a wonderful introduction. It stresses/tests the fundamentals of action/speed shooting, exposes you to the stresses of the timer, doesn't require a ton (if any) movement, and typically doesn't call for reloads at speed. If you've got a pistol, 3 magazines with 15+ round capacity (or anything else that adds up to a similar total number) and a feasible OWB holster, you're already equipped to compete. You'll get to shoot a lot, which is huge for your first time out IMO. The set up and take down is short and sweet, and resetting the stage is little more than a few spritzes of spray paint. Best of all-- instant feedback on your performance! There's nothing like making that steel sing!

^^^ What he said...
    PM me when you decide to go. I'll help you and give you a ride.

dgoochman

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Metairie, La.
    alot of great info guys!!! I have been a collector for many years. I have a couple of springfield 1911's and glock's of just about every caliber and size. All guns are pretty much standard configuration for the exception of some light laser combinations. Equipment and budget is not as much of an issue as what format, class, caliber would be best for a beginner.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.

Couldn't agree more. Lafourche Speed Shooters has a monthly steel match the second Saturday of the month at the Southern Shooting Center in Thibodaux. More info on lagator.org.

Top Bottom