Suggestions wanted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I decided to get a bow for my birthday since my parents would get mad if I shot a firearm in the backyard. I figure a bow would be all right since a bale of hay would more or less stop it.

So the question is, what would you guys suggest for a beginner? I will more than likely not do much hunting with it but who knows what the future holds? Just looking for something in the $300 range(if it is even possible) to shoot in the backyard.

LouisianaAKman

B.O.W. #318
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    West Monroe,LA
    As far as the best bow for the money, I shoot a Mission X-3 The bare bow was around $370 and depending on what sight, rest and peep you want, the sky's the limit. The most important thing is to go get "fitted" for a bow at a pro shop(Archery shop) You never just want to buy a bow at a pawn shop because it is cheap and you can pull it. Draw length is very important to accuracy.

Back to the bow, Mission is made by Matthews but without a few extras. Are you wanting to hunt with this bow, or just target shoot?

Feel free to PM my anytime with questions. I would be glad to introduce a new shooter to the sport.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    This is just for a little shooting in the backyard between range trips, maybe a little hunting but not in the immeduiate future, I have guns for that.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I stopped over at Lafayette Shooters on the way home today to see what they had and they had a Parker Buck Hunter (I think) for $277 and the guy said "ready to shoot". Had anyone had a parker and how does that sound deal wise?

cajungunslinger

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I stopped over at Lafayette Shooters on the way home today to see what they had and they had a Parker Buck Hunter (I think) for $277 and the guy said "ready to shoot". Had anyone had a parker and how does that sound deal wise?

I bought my Parker Spitfire for $299 Ready to Shoot from Cabelas in Gonzales. I love it.heres a pic of it too...

try to find the Spitfire. the Buck Hunter is only a 50lb bow. Mine goes up to 70 lbs.

Spend the extra $30 and get this bow I Highly recommend it.

v73ugnf1gt35w21l2mbu.jpg

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Get a recurve. It WILL make you a better shooter than if you use a compound. Also, if it is for backyard use, you wont need a 70# pull. Anything over 50# just make you tired.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Get a recurve. It WILL make you a better shooter than if you use a compound. Also, if it is for backyard use, you wont need a 70# pull. Anything over 50# just make you tired.

+1

Parker, Browning, Matthews, BowTech, Diamond, Archery Research, Bear - all these are good names in bows. You really need to go to an archery shop (Bowie Outfitters or Kemosabi [site sponsor]) and let them fit you to a bow and shoot a variety of bows. You need to find something that fits you. When shooting pay attention to how it draws and when you release pay attention to any vibration or recoil there is. Try to find something you feel comfortable with.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    ive got a few suggestions. first you need to go put your hands on a few bows they all have different grips. also dont go buy the shortest bow you can find generally the shorter the less forgiving. newer bows with lateral lims are getting alot shorter axel to axel than your normal bow but still have a taller brace height and are more forgiving. another thing it you dont have to have a 70lb bow get what you are comfortable with if its 50 its 50. im pretty comfy at 64lbs i have no problem with 70 and have even shot and old psc with 85lb draw but i was the most comfy with 64 and 85 letoff. just remember even if your bows shooting over 300fps doesnt mean anything if you cant hit the target so practice practice practice.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Parker is good bow. Everything thats been said is good advice, but one more thing, whereever and whenever you buy one, make sure they measure you for draw length and have them set the bow up to fit you.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Parker is good bow. Everything thats been said is good advice, but one more thing, whereever and whenever you buy one, make sure they measure you for draw length and have them set the bow up to fit you.

Yeah that is why I am going to go somewhere that will take the time and talk to me. I am not gonna buy from a place that just sells me a bow then forgets about me. I need someone who knows bows to help me find one and if they don't want to give me some attention and help me out they are going to lose a sale.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    You might want to try Kemosabi. He sells bows and seems like a real knowledgeble fella. Check him out under the website sponsors. Hes in upper Lafayette.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Kemo was the first one I called. I stopped in at Lafayette Shooter just to see what they have then called Kemo on the way to work right after. I would have liked to do business with him again (bought a mosin from him) but he didn't have anything in the price range I was looking for.

Today while at school I ended up talking to a guy that I have a few classes with and he said his friend owns a shop here in Lafayette that he could get me set up and even teach me the basics of shooting. So I ended up going there after class today and talking to them. He said he most inexpensive bow he had was about $450. That was a little out my price range, I then asked him if he had anything used that he wants to get rid of and he said he had to go check in the back. I waited about 15 mins while he was finishing work on a bow and he went and found one. It is a 2000 Hoyt MagnaTec. He also gave me 4 carbon field tipped arrows, a release and helped me get it sighted in and a comfortable pull weight. I got all that and out the door for $400 even. He also said he would warranty it and if I had any problems just go in and talk to him and he would get me fixed up and ready again.

I am happy with what I have, it is what I wanted, a nice bow that I an walk outside and shoot with and even go hunting with it if I get a chance. The person that had it before me killed quite a few deer with it and he just wanted an upgrade.

I will post a few pics later tonight.

lurkerwisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    :\ Having taught archery for a summer I'd have gone with something more simple for just starting out. The skill's tricky enough without adding anything extra to it. Just my opinion though.

Have fun!

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Well when I bought it they took time to teach me a little and help me sight it in. At 20 yards I was shooting in a 6 inch group after a few sets of 4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom