Super Redhawk Barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Hi, I'd like to get a ruger super redhawk. I'd like one with a shorter barrel than the 7.5". The barrel will need to be cut and recrowned. Also, the front sight would need to be reinstalled. I know Hamilton Bowen and magnaport will do the work, but they are much package oriented and I would probably end up paying for more than I actually want. Who else should I look into for this work? I know of people like Andy horvath in Ohio and Ben Forkin in my Montana, but I can't get contact info.

Last edited:

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I'm thinking 5-6" range. Larry kelly made one for a writer and it looked well balanced at 5". Bowen arms will be about 300$+ for the barrel cut. I knew a guy who carried a 5.5" SBH for Hog medicine. He much preferred it to the 7.5". I wish ruger offered the same barrel options as they do for the SBH or smith does for the 29/629.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, Talo is having ruger make a 5" version in .454 Casul. Look for model 5517.

5517.jpg

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Oh, Talo is having ruger make a 5" version in .454 Casul. Look for model 5517.

5517.jpg

Exactly. I thought about that, but it's 454 only. I asked ruger if they'd make that in 44 mag, they said no. :(I imagine the 9.5" is kept alive due to the silhouette shooters, but I argue this would be more practical for everyone else.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, unless you are set on .44 Mag, .454 Casul is more powerful.... and you can shoot .45 Colt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rasputin

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Plaquemine
    I own a 44 Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel. They can be easily obtained, are very accurate, and much cheaper than the route you are trying to take. Are you doing this for the scope mounting ability, or for the look?

Last edited:

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I own a 44 Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel. They can be easily obtained, are very accurate, and much cheaper than the route you are trying to take. Are you doing this for the scope mounting ability, or for the look?
    I'd like to be able to mount a scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom