Suppressed Steyr Scout *Added Video*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wasn't refering to Teddy in particular (I'd never criticize one of his videos!). All videos make gun shots sound like .22's. His dad shooting the .30/30 is a perfect example. Watch the video then imagine the noise if he were next to you on the range and you didn't have your ears on...

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wasn't refering to Teddy in particular (I'd never criticize one of his videos!). All videos make gun shots sound like .22's. His dad shooting the .30/30 is a perfect example. Watch the video then imagine the noise if he were next to you on the range and you didn't have your ears on...

Yeah I know. I can't speak for certain about the 5D because it's a professional level body, but on my T2i even with an external mic on the hot shoe, the camera automatically adjusts sound levels so everything is the same volume, thereby exacerbating the problem you're referring to.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The 5D actually has a manual audio setting and I had it at the lowest setting. Unfortunately it still didn't have the quality I was going for. Next time I am taking one of the pro audio recorders and shotgun microphones we have at the studio and doing the audio Hollywood style. Woodman Springs is a great range to do this at because there is never anyone there. It's just a 90 minute ride from Baton Rouge.

Tib

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Walker, LA
    The only problem with the bi pod is it's kinda loud. I can't really see anyone sneaking up on a target then releasing the bipod. It makes several loud clicking noises when it opens or closes. My regular Harris bipod is completely silent.

Rough when the bipod is louder than the muzzle blast.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The 5D has a manual mode that bypasses the AGC. I used that. I think the small mic just doesn't have the dynamic range needed to capture the peak of the gun shot and the resulting falloff of the muzzle blast. A higher end shotgun mic would do the trick. Maybe two mics, even. One for the high end and one for the low end.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm wayyyy out of my depth here, but I do know that in order to measure db's you need a meter with a special mic due to theduration/impluse of a gun shot... you can't use a $200 db meter to measure, as the mic isn't "quick" enough to capture the blast - IIRC the least expensive one that was professional grade, absolutely accurate was $3000.

Obviously you don't need a db meter for sensitivity to real sound, but whatever the measure is for ability to capture short impulses would be the direction I went.

I will just borrow the mic we used on Sons of Guns. I am sure they would use the correct mic for accurately measuring dB, right?

Top Bottom