Suppressor question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Eunice, La
    I was told by a gun store that my son that’s 19 could be on my trust and posess suppressors. That i can buy all the suppressors i want and then add him to the trust. Then my attourney said he cannot be a trustee till he is 21. He is a beneficiary on the trust but not a trustee. Can anyone help me?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    He is a beneficiary but not a trustee. He cannot be in possession or use them out of your (or another trustee) presence until he turns 21. He can possess/use/shoot them in your presence now.

You can make him a trustee at 21, and he can possess/use them alone. Doing it now, he could access them as part of the trust when he turns 21 should something happen to your and or trustees.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Or call Kenny @meplatgroup who is an attorney, builds trust, and sells the most suppressors in Louisiana.

In all likelihood I’m the one who drafted his trust and told him 21 in the first place and yet he’s taking the word of some mouth breathing, window licking, counter monkey because he’s telling him what he wants to hear. We deal with this all the time.

I don’t mind explaining things more than once as talking to me can be like trying to drink from a firehose because there is a lot of info coming at you but as you can imagine I get a bit snippy when people argue with me on legal matters based on what they read on a forum or was told to them by someone in another shop.

I’ve been practicing law for over four lustrums (be the first to name the only movie I’ve ever heard that term in and you can pick up a free Meplat Group koozie at the shop) and doing gun trusts for a dozen years. I never stop learning and I don’t know everything but this one is one of those easy answers.

For those in the cheap seats, the answer is 21 years of age to be a responsible party (trustee or individual purchaser) on NFA items. And if you need ammo to win this argument with your local gun shop expert who swears trustees can be 18, ask him what are the only types of firearms an 18 year old can acquire on a 4473. He should reply “long guns”. Then ask him which category gets checked on a 4473 when you dispose of an NFA item to a non-licensee. He should reply “other firearms”. Then stare at him intently until the lightbulb goes on.

Top Bottom