Surplus Rifle Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Have any of you ever purchased and refinished a M1 Garand or M1 Carbine from CMP? (www.thecmp.org)

I have heard some talk about them. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the topic and quality of the rifles. I am interested in doing some restoration and refinishing. Thought this might be a good way to start the project.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It's pretty much the luck of the draw when you order a rifle from the CMP . They are certainly worth what you pay for them though . Some of them are in pretty good shape and some are a little rough . All are functional weapons . Buy one and give it some TLC .
    The M1 is an awesome rifle .

Mr.Hatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Central
    As soon as i get my GCA membership info in i'm sending in my order for my first Garand.

From all the research i've done, the CMP is definately the way to go for an M1 (Garand or Carbine). Mail order is luck of the draw but the rifles are graded pretty well - you will always get what you order or a little better. Their customer service seems really good too.

Or you can go to their South Store in (i think) Anniston Alabama and pick exactly the rifle you want.

I'm ordering a Service Grade with a WW2 serial and a USGI stock. Some come with a new Boyd's stock if the original was craked or damaged. Most will have been rebarreled in the 50's.

Take a look on the CMP's forum or over on SurplusRifle.com - you'll see lots of pics or CMP Garands there.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Have any of you ever purchased and refinished a M1 Garand or M1 Carbine from CMP? (www.thecmp.org)

I have heard some talk about them. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the topic and quality of the rifles. I am interested in doing some restoration and refinishing. Thought this might be a good way to start the project.

You can buy it from the CMP for X dollars. You can find the same M1 at a gunshow for about 2X dollars.

You may luck out & get a deal from an individual. The CMP does have some customer service.

billy82269

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    DeQuincy, LA
    I sent off for a HRA service grade (My first order from CMP) a few weeks ago. order delivered 12/5, envelope opened and email sent to me confirming they received it 12/18.Not looking for rifle to be shipped untill at least late Jan. or early Feb. I sent a letter with it saying I wanted a good shooter & asking for the best MW & TE readings on one close at hand & one that had the new boyds stock would be all the more better. I'll post pics when I get it. The wait is going to kill me.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Unless you can get an M1-C or an M1-D from the CMP the regular M1 Garands are your standard rack grade rifles. I don't own one but have several friends who do and they are good shooters. They have been refurbished back to "issue" condition. I bought an M1 Garand some years back from a company in California called MilTech Arms. Paid $800 for it, which at the time was a pretty penny but now that same weapon goes for around $1,700. You can check MilTech out at http://www.miltecharms.com/

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    As soon as i get my GCA membership info in i'm sending in my order for my first Garand.

From all the research i've done, the CMP is definately the way to go for an M1 (Garand or Carbine). Mail order is luck of the draw but the rifles are graded pretty well - you will always get what you order or a little better. Their customer service seems really good too.

Or you can go to their South Store in (i think) Anniston Alabama and pick exactly the rifle you want.

I'm ordering a Service Grade with a WW2 serial and a USGI stock. Some come with a new Boyd's stock if the original was craked or damaged. Most will have been rebarreled in the 50's.

Take a look on the CMP's forum or over on SurplusRifle.com - you'll see lots of pics or CMP Garands there.

Mr Hatch,
    You do NOT have to wait for your GCA stuff to come in, as they are the largest CMP affiliated club, and update their records with the CMP weekly. Simply fill in the spot on the CMP form asking about your affiliate membership "New GCA Member, Info will be provided by GCA".

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    It's pretty much the luck of the draw when you order a rifle from the CMP . They are certainly worth what you pay for them though . Some of them are in pretty good shape and some are a little rough . All are functional weapons . Buy one and give it some TLC .
    The M1 is an awesome rifle .

I lucked out w/my service grade SA and got a 1945 reciever and 45 bbl. and nice wood to boot!

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I REALLY want to join one of the clubs and make an order on a Garand. Funding is a little on the low side for the moment though. It will have to wait for now I guess.

Thank y'all for all the input!

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Everyone should go to the South Store in Anniston at least once. You should call and see if there are any rifles on the racks before making the trip, and if the racks are full, drive on up and pick one out. Dont forget to bring cash for a couple crates of the HXP as well!

Mr.Hatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Central
    Mr Hatch,
    You do NOT have to wait for your GCA stuff to come in, as they are the largest CMP affiliated club, and update their records with the CMP weekly. Simply fill in the spot on the CMP form asking about your affiliate membership "New GCA Member, Info will be provided by GCA".

It came right after Christmas. I wanted to make 100% sure I had all my ducks in a row before sending it out. I knew they were backlogged so a week or 2 wouldn't make much difference.

Got my DBU a few weeks ago. I'm not expecting my M1 in until April. Looks like they haven't even gotten to the 12-1 Winchester orders yet.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I think you will find CMP and excellent place to do business with. I ordered a Winchester Garand a few years ago. Turns out it is a 1943 manufactured rifle, right in the middle of WWII. Never know where it was or where it served. Mine was pristine condition with an excellent bore and muzzle. Shoots like a dream. Also, being able to by ammo, 30-06, 223 and .22 is well worth the few hoops you have to jump through. But, once you are in....you are in!

Top Bottom