Tac Drivers Concealed Carry Class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I attended a concealed carry course given by Mike Moore at Tac Drivers last Saturday (1/24/09) and I recommend it. Here’s a review. (BTW, I’m required to sit through 40 or so hours of continuing education per year, so I see enough instruction to get irritated when it’s done badly.)

The basics…the class is held in a rural location, so lunch was provided. We shot at Mike’s on site range. We left with an application packet, certificate of training, completed fingerprint card and photo. Be warned, Mike has a unique camera that makes you look ugly!

The class was small, five of us, and ran from 9a to 5p. Mike covered NRA gun safety rules, Jeff Cooper’s four rules and safe handling and storage in general. He also went through pistol and revolver nomenclature, safe and efficient loading and unloading, and proper cleaning procedures. He gave a brief but informative lecture on pistol grip, shooting stance, and general shooting skills.

Where I thought the class went to the next level was when Mike covered the homicide statutes, post shooting events, and the psychological aspects of being in a shooting.

He covered all the homicide statutes in detail, not just “justifiable.” We spent a good deal of the afternoon on this and Mike really drove home the point that you are undertaking a very serious responsibility, you must know the law and be able to make good judgments quickly, in stressful or even panic situations.

Drawing on his experience as a detective, Mike detailed what happens with you and the system after a shooting. From patrol responders to the detective’s role in the grand jury room, he went through each possible step, explaining what to expect. This part was very informative.

Finally, Mike spent some time discussing what to expect mentally after you’re involved in a shooting. He discussed the immediate aftermath and long term. It made me look “over the horizon” and gave me another reason to look for a way to not have to shoot.

I can speak only for myself, but these three aspects of the class, presented as well as they were, by someone with Mike’s credentials, added weight and gravity to what I already considered a very serious matter - My decision to carry a weapon.

You can see Mike’s credentials at his website. I think he is uniquely qualified to teach this class and that showed through in the class quality.

Top Bottom