tactical .22 LR advise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    so, i've always wanted a ar15, but can't afford it right now.. been thinking about getting a small .22 LR and came across a tactical rifle that mossberg & colt makes. the mossberg is $230 and the colt is $560... i'm leaning more towards the mossberg just because its more than half the price.. anyone with any previous experience with any of these rifles?

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Here is my take on it all. First, this is my opinion only, the Mossberg is very tempting as far as the price is concerned and it does look like a "real" AR but it requires a screwdriver to take apart and clean and in my book that is a no go for me. I have done extensive research and here is what I have come up with and purchased. If your ultimate goal is an AR, like mine was, then take a look at the CMMG Quebec A. I just picked one up and it has a .22lr upper and a milspec lower so that when I get the money in the future I can get another upper and have a 5.56 upper and maybe pick up a Plum Crazy lower and throw the 22lr on it and have two rifles.

Picked it up at 10-8 Tactical. It was the last one but they do stock them. I would give them a call and see when they are getting another one. Or, ask your favorite gun shop to order one. They are pretty sweet.

Last edited:

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i vote sig 522 also. its very reliable with cheap bulk federal and winchester from wal mart and even the remington thunder bolt every body hates. i have shot a little of the mexican .22lr ammo and they all work great. of course cci works well. all .22lr ammo i could ever get my hands on works very well in my sig 522. excellent rifle. it is on standby as one of my home defense weapons. its that reliable. its not just a toy like my 10/22 or s&w 22a.

i have shot well over 3,000 rounds of cheap stuff in the 522. i had 3 easily cleared stovepipes in the first couple mags. 0 malfunctions since. i do clean it very well after each shooting session which is usually a box of federal or winchester 500+ bulk.

my 522 is very very accurate. the only bad thing about them is they don't come with any sights at all. my brother in law bought the s&w 15-22. its great and looks more like the ar15s. its really good but not great like the 522. the trigger and accuracy is not as good, and the bolt handle(?) is plastic, the receiver is plastic. the 15-22 puts the glock to shame, way too much plastic for me. it seems to be pretty reliable.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I've been VERY pleased with my S&W 15-22's. $400 OTD.
    I've heard about many Colt's being sent back for repair. I took the flash suppressor off of one the other day and besides it having non-standard threads, I noticed that the barrel is a very small flexible tube on the inside of a shroud. A suppressor would not work on this gun. The M4 profile barrel seen from the outside is nothing more than a shroud. If you want one, Arm's Merchant in Mandeville has one on consignment for $350.

The Mossberg is not a flat top upper - carry handle only. It is also not threaded.

I have the S&W 15-22 and love it. I have zero issues with it. I vote the S&W 15-22.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    S&W 15-22 all the way, it's the best deal going.

Here is my Thompson machine .22. 5" barrel, 11" can

IMG_0498.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sig522 is really nice and uses the same mags as would .22lr conversion for an AR15 but it's controls are different from an AR15. the M&P15-22 is nice, but slightly smaller than an AR15 and it uses proprietary mags. i'd go w/ something like the CMMG upper. i personally have a Spike's upper but they don't sell them anymore. it is cheaper to get something like the Sig 522 or M&P15-22.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Is that sarcasm, I hear its....

No its not a gunfighter in the picture, but it does have one now. In fact, if I ever design a new charging handle for the ACR, its going to carry the name "Gunfighter". Out of spite.

My keltec RFB is going to have a gunfighter too.

Last edited:

KajunKat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Lutcher, LA
    I handled the ruger tactical based on the 10/22 action the other day and was really impressed. Everything is made to attach AR accessories to it and the receiver is made out of metal instead of plastic. The barrel was fully free floating so it should be a pretty good shooter too. Tons of accessories in both the AR and 10/22 market will fit it. It is the first 10/22 that I have actually liked the feel and looks of.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I handled the ruger tactical based on the 10/22 action the other day and was really impressed. Everything is made to attach AR accessories to it and the receiver is made out of metal instead of plastic. The barrel was fully free floating so it should be a pretty good shooter too. Tons of accessories in both the AR and 10/22 market will fit it. It is the first 10/22 that I have actually liked the feel and looks of.

Just remember if you want to train on an AR, use an AR platform with the same manual of arms, mags, etc. The ruger won't give you that.

And vanilla, I've been stippling....

Sin-ster, nothing is wrong with the gunfighter, it's by far the best charging handle in existence.

Top Bottom