tactical reload with a pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The tactical reload with a pistol is something I rarely spend time doing but wanna work more on it.
    Right now my full mag ends up between my 1st 2 fingers and my palm pushes the mag into the gun. The mag that I'm stripping from the gun ends up between my thumb and 1st finger.
    Does that sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't think it really makes much difference as long as fresh mag ends up in the gun and half full mag ends up in your hand. What works for you might not work for someone with small hands, so I don't really think there is a 100% answer.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What Jack said, and someone with small hands and double stack magazines may place the used magazine into his belt or pocket and then install a fresh magazine.
    Reload with retention.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have a weird way of doing it I think... Never seen anyone do it this way but it works for me I guess.
    I grab the new mag with my thumb and index. Like take you hand and just make your index finger hook towards you then press between the first and second knuckle with your thumb. (Just to get an idea of how I grab new mag.
    Then I turn my gun action away from me and pop the bag free. I pull it out with the base of my hand using my palm and pinky/ring fingers. Flip my wrist and insert new mag confirming it by pressing with the top side of my hand. (Same side mag was held on just closed now).
    The way the old mag is facing now lets me reseat in mag slot or into a dump pouch behind my back.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Most shooters do not carry a speed rig and 5 extra magazines unless they are shooting in competition.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Video is to See how it can be done, then apply to your needs and way you carry.

Try shoot some IDPA matches for more tactical type of shooting.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I find grabbing the mag between the pinky/ring finger doesn't work well. It works great playing around with empty mags, but load half a mag worth of ammo in there and chances are the mag won't survive the trip back to the pouch/pocket. And even if you do manage to hold on to it, you're forced to fumble around with it trying to get a usable grip on it to put it where it needs to go.

I find the middle/ring finger works slightly better, although it is a little more challenging with double stack mags.

Personally I find what works best for me is bringing the fresh mag up like normal (pointer finger indexed on bullet tip), and once I reach the pistol I move my pointer finger to the thumb side of the mag (mag ends up inbetween pointer and middle finger) and pull the old mag out with my thumb and pointer finger. Rotate wrist insert fresh mag and slam home with palm.

The downside to this is it's a little slower getting the freshie in since you give up your pointer finger index. However, the used mag is much more secure. And the way I see it, if you're in a situation where that split second mattered you probably shouldn't be doing a tac reload to begin with.

Like Jack said everyone is different though and YMMV. Only way to know is get out there and try it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Personally I find what works best for me is bringing the fresh mag up like normal (pointer finger indexed on bullet tip), and once I reach the pistol I move my pointer finger to the thumb side of the mag (mag ends up inbetween pointer and middle finger) and pull the old mag out with my thumb and pointer finger. Rotate wrist insert fresh mag and slam home with palm.

This is what I've been doing you just explained it much better lol. So far this feels best for me but I will try the other ideas also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom