Tactical Rifle Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Well unless you are an operator it will not be a "Sniper" rifle. A precision rifle maybe. The Remington 700 is a good starting point. There are tons of aftermarket parts for them and they can be made into great shooters.

Lots of folks say that Savage is more accurate out of the box. I have had both and both were accurate out of the box and both were improved upon.

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I have a Remington 700 and my friend has the savage fcp-k. Savage it is. Mine will shoot like his but I've put money into it. His is stock. Trigger is ridiculously good out of the box. I swapped mine for a timney and it's close. Both of our rifles are .308. Spend the little extra. That's my take.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You can find a 700 sps tactical for $550 all day long in .308.
    Sell the Hogue stock it comes with for $100 ($100)
    Buy an HS Precision LTR stock used for $200
    Buy and install a Rifle Basix trigger for $100

There you'll have $750 in a nice rifle that traditionally will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" at 100yds with good ammo and a good shooter. The Remington varmint contoured barrel will handle 1 shot/min without overheating too much. You can save a few steps and look around for a NIB 700LTR or 5R within your price range if it's been sitting in a store room for a few years. They'll come with the older style triggers which can be pretty good.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Good plan, Ritten, but he might have a hard time getting $100 for the Hogue that's on the SPS. Seems like for every SPS ever sold to someone on the Hide, there's a stock Hogue up for sale at bargain prices ;)

Edited to add: Just to double check my thinking, I just went on Snipers Hide and did a classified search. The first that came up on the list was offered for $70 shipped, and went for $50 shipped after a series of price drops.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Good plan, Ritten, but he might have a hard time getting $100 for the Hogue that's on the SPS. Seems like for every SPS ever sold to someone on the Hide, there's a stock Hogue up for sale at bargain prices ;)

Good point.....ok, so he'll have to go to the top end of his budget and/or sell the x-mark trigger as well.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks guys im some what new in the gun world and generally know what i want just not the best way to get it.

On the first Saturday of every month you can come out to Palo Alto in Donaldsonville and see some top notch rifles being put through their paces. There are .308's, .223's, 6.5 x 47's, etc.
    F-T/R is only .308's and .223's, so you can get an idea of what the capabilities are before you buy. Might help you .....or not.

Top Bottom