Taking possession of "illegal" Class III

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Been watching that show "Storage Wars". it got me to thinking (step back, don't want anyone getting hurt ;) )

Say I win one of these storage units or some kind of estate sale and there is a Class3 item like a NIB full auto MP5....is there a way for me to register it legally and keep it?

What if grandpa has a war souvenir M16 in the attic?

Lastly, if Bubba down the street decided to make an SBS, will it forever be illegal, or is there a method in place for him to become righteous and for me to buy it from him?

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am just a guy, sitting in front of a computer, asking another guy to love him. :wtc:

Who's more gay, you for saying it or me for understanding the reference?

Not knowing the answer to the MP5 question I would probably strip it down for parts, torch the receiver and the re-build as a semi. I doubt there is a way for it to be yours if it was not already a transferable Class III. Apparently the part sets are worth a cool grand.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/H_K_MP5_parts_kit.html

They don't gots to know about it. It could be our milk.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

I already sent you a friend request there, waiting for your reply. :love:

You were a little hard to find since you had your body type listed as "athletic". But I searched under the keywords...."just a computer geek, looking for a man who has never been there or done that", and BAM!!! you popped right up.

FYI, I listed you as a referral, so you should get your 20 mankiss points! :D

Anything to help a brother out!:rockon:

;)

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    For bubba's sbs, I suppose you could buy the rest of the gun, leave the bbl with him, then tell him you'll be back for it when your stamp comes in.

As for mp5 in the storage locker, I'd think unless it was already registered you'd be out of luck. You could probably cut it up, send the atf pics of it cut up and the story to cya, then rebuild it as a semi.

Strip it down to a bare receiver, surrender the receiver to the
    ATF and sell the parts.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    So if gramps had a vietnam era M16 in the atttic, i could change out the sear and be legit?

as far as I understand, yes you should be ok because they have drop in sears. Now an ak on the other hand you would have to cut the receiver or demill it because there would be another hole drilled in it for the FA sear.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    So if gramps had a vietnam era M16 in the atttic, i could change out the sear and be legit?

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-b.pdf

"In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt
    carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have
    been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled
    with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1
    type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15
    Model SP1 configuration."

The above was as of the year 2000.

Art

Last edited:

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    as far as I understand, yes you should be ok because they have drop in sears. Now an ak on the other hand you would have to cut the receiver or demill it because there would be another hole drilled in it for the FA sear.

I believe the m16 receiver has some slight differences from an ar15 that would make it illegal even without the seer. I'd take gramps' m16, replace the lower with a plumcrazy, then drag that beast through the tapco bin at the gun show, mount a sweet peace of ncstar glass on top and call it a day.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I know when it comes to ar/m16, it is just the sear as far as I know.

Thats wrong. The lower is the registered part on a real deal M16. If you do not own an ar15, or lower reciever, it is not illegal for you to own a sear. a registered drop in auto sear is different, and registered as a machine gun, as it can be swapped into any lower that has a low shelf.

if you were to buy a storage building, and it happened to have a NIB full auto MP5 inside it, I would call the NFA and inquire if it were in the database. If it were in the database I'd see if I could find a dealer who would transfer it into your name.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom