Talked Myself into an AR - What to Buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    I'm a long time hunter. My thing is accurate good handling rifles. I have bolt action rifles in multiple calibers, a 45 ACP handgun and a 7+1 12ga pump. I also have an M1A Scout Squad. I have decided that with the likelihood of the coming "Democrat Apocalypse" I should add a 5.56 AR-15 to my supplies. Don't want to break the bank but, do want something reliable. Will likely gather dust in the safe but, want it ready if the need arises. The only reason I can see for a 5.56 is to go to war, in my opinion it is on the light side for ethical hunting of deer size game. So, looking for practical recommendations. Thanks!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Can't beat a colt or Olympic arms for a good solid AR but ya don't have to go that route. A good PSA rifle will do fine. You can generally get a complete lower for way less than $200 and their CHF barrels are made by FN. I've shot too many to concede to any argument about their accuracy or quality. They generally sell their complete uppers with those cold hammer forged barrels in the $300-400 neighborhood. Right now their premium BCG is on sale for $80. Also, I bought an upper from double star a few years ago in a 16" HBAR flat top configuration that continues to be one of my most accurate AR rifles. My comments are based on 34 years of owning, shooting and building countless ARs from the preban Colts and Armalite to Adams arms and higher end rifles. Spend as much as you like if you simply want to have bragging rights, but a real good shooter can be had in the $600-800 range if you're smart. Good luck in your quest

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Really, the answer is "How much do I want to spend?" The top tier manufacturers --Daniel Defense, et al, will set you back $1000-$1700 depending on features and accessories. A robust, decent AR can be bought new in the $600-$1000 range from DPMS, Colt, etc. If money is tight you can piece together an AR from a lower such as Aero Precision, New Freedom Armory, Spikes, Del-ton etc and add the upper in the length and configuration you wish, for $550- $750 total price. I would suggest that you strongly consider some type of optic as well, and there are a LOT of choices there for your consideration. I have several AR's in different configurations and my 'democrat apocalypse' one is a DPMS 16 inch A2 configuration with MagPul furniture and a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot. Best of luck!

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Price: $389.98
    @Classic Firearms

Complete AR Rifle - $389.98 + Shipping From Classic Firearms
    Bear Creek Arsenal AR-15 Complete Upper - $279.99 https://www.classicfirearms.com/bearcreekarsenalupperar15assbly E3 Arms Omega-15 AR-15 Black Polymer Complete Lower Receiver - $109.99 https://www.classicfirearms.com/omegae3reccomplete $279.99 + $109.99 = $389.98 Shipping to IL is $18.25 for a shipped total of $408.23 AR15-UPPER ACCBCA-AR15-Upper E3 Arms Lower LNG-OMEGA-ARLOWER-C

Here is a current ad from SLICKGUNS for a complete AR for $408.

View score

@Classic

Last edited:

CajunR6

Long Time Lurker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As most have already said your options are near limitless. I bought my CMMG back in 2007 and it's been a great gun with thousands of rounds with no problem. I've also owned some of the "higher" end DPMS' (LR-SASS) and it too was a hammer. I don't think you can go wrong with a reputable manufacturer. Just do some research on what few features you want and decide how much you're willing to spend, that should dictate which one you get not just a name IMO

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The Ruger AR556 can be found at great pricing, and is a quality gun for the sub $600 range if you are on a budget. Obviously the best quality guns are going to cost more, and Bsoileau24 has named them.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    Spend the extra cash once and go with a Daniel Defense. You won't be disappointed. Over, the years the couple hundred extra will be worth the quality and dependability. They hold their value also. Another option, get a less expensive rifle and put the money you saved into training. The rifle is only as good as you are to an extent.

Last edited:

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Don't forget the scope should cost twice as much as the rifle! ;-)

Maybe back in the 1960's 1970's but we now have a GREAT choice of optics which perform and do not cost twice what the rifle does! ( BTW I realize that your post is ironic). If you plunk a $1400 ACOG on a $700 AR you would be correct.

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks for all the input guys. One thing I failed to mention is I have a little over $500 in Cabela's gift cards I'd like to use toward my purchase. This kind of limits my options to on the low side a DPMS Oracle @ $550, Windham, Ruger AR-556 or at the upper end a Colt 6920 @ $1000. I don't see spending more than that for my purposes. I've only sold a couple of guns in my life so once I buy it's mine so, resale doesn't matter. For hunting I agree good glass is a must. Not sure where I'll go for an optic on this. I have Leupold on most of my guns with a couple of Zeiss. For my money you can't beat Leupold for value and the customer service is second to none.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Build a rifle. It's all too easy, you get exactly what you want, and will save money.

X2. There is no point in me buying a complete rifle just to take stuff off of it! I'm at the point where I like Geissele triggers, the Ergo Stock, and the Magpul MIAD grips. It makes no sense to buy a complete rifle knowing that I'll be dropping $500 right off the bat to get what I want with the stock, grip, and trigger. Prior to the Ergo stock, I was into the Ace SOCOM, but I started having problems with my original one being tough as hell to extend and collapse, so I don't want to use the one that I was going to use on my next build...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    X2. There is no point in me buying a complete rifle just to take stuff off of it! I'm at the point where I like Geissele triggers, the Ergo Stock, and the Magpul MIAD grips. It makes no sense to buy a complete rifle knowing that I'll be dropping $500 right off the bat to get what I want with the stock, grip, and trigger. Prior to the Ergo stock, I was into the Ace SOCOM, but I started having problems with my original one being tough as hell to extend and collapse, so I don't want to use the one that I was going to use on my next build...

A buddy and I just built a rifle each. He used a Magpul STR and I used a Magpul CTR. We brought them to the range and instantly hated the stocks on our rifles. We ended up swapping stocks and were completely happy. So I agree, why buy a rifle that I KNOW will have parts I don't like. If I bought a new rifle and it was as simple as the stock was the only change, then maybe I'd do it, but there aren't many rifles that have exactly what I want unless you spend $3,000+.

Tony Stark

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I would buy a lower since that is the part that will be hard to come by if there is another ban, and whatever good parts that I could afford now, and just piece it together as you go. I'd rather take a longer time to end up with a quality rifle than jump in quick and get a POS.

BCM would be my recommendation. You can buy a complete lower for about $380.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If you want to use your gift cards, i'd suggest a Smith or Ruger. Get a sling and a light, stack in a supply of magazines and ammo and you are set.

Top Bottom