Talked Myself into an AR - What to Buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    PSA rifle kit $399.99 + lower for 49.99 to shipping and paper work complete gun under $500 Brownell's has good instructions for putting lower together

You can't beat Brownell's videos on how to make your 1st AR build. I used a PSA rifle kit and a Spikes tactical lower from Jim's firearms

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't see the point in the high priced ARs that aren't specialized for something (3 gun, mini-SASS type, etc). A PSA CHF barreled rifle with an upgraded trigger of choice...that is a $700 recipe that is tough beat.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I would buy a lower since that is the part that will be hard to come by if there is another ban, and whatever good parts that I could afford now, and just piece it together as you go. I'd rather take a longer time to end up with a quality rifle than jump in quick and get a POS.

BCM would be my recommendation. You can buy a complete lower for about $380.

I'm currently putting together my first build and wondering why in the world I hadn't done it sooner and just passed on complete package guns from the big producers. As stated earlier, I ended up swapping so much out that they ended up being much different guns than what I started out with, and ballooning price tags. Now, I'm buying exactly what I want on my gun the first time around and no extra parts listed in the classifieds or laying around my workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I'm currently putting together my first build and wondering why in the world I hadn't done it sooner and just passed on complete package guns from the big producers. As stated earlier, I ended up swapping so much out that they ended up being much different guns than what I started out with, and ballooning price tags. Now, I'm buying exactly what I want on my gun the first time around and no extra parts listed in the classifieds or laying around my workshop.

Same here...started out with a Olympic Arms AR15 and ended up changing out stock, handguard, trigger, break, etc.
    Now I just build em piece by piece to my liking.

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Well I wound up with the Colt LE 6920 from Cabela's. My plan is to stick with open sights for now and if I decide to go with an optic it will probably be a Leupold VX-3 or VX-R.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wish that I had started with a cheaper light AR - something like the carbon 15.

I built my first AR and spent roughly 4x what one of those costs - I should have bought one and shot the hell out of it while I built my other one.

That being said - now I want a FN SCAR 16.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Really, the answer is "How much do I want to spend?"

La Rebel,

What Tx_oil said. Your choices and options are almost limitless which also means quality abounds. Sure you could get a bad gun but those mostly come from the Pop and Grandpop garage shops. Start out by asking yourself if you want a sewing machine or just a needle and thread. On the sewing machine end of it you have Patriot Ordinance Factory (POF) and Daniel Defense (DD); exotic materials and well established torture tests. STAG arms makes a great rifle and they are on the other end of the spectrum. Over one hundred other really good manufacturers on both ends. I would start with the features you want and then pick a manufacturer that hits most of your marks in your price range.
    This is a good article for first time buyers: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-ar15-buyers-guide-simple-steps-for-buying-a-great-rifle/ Good luck!

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    I like the AR15 but for the Democrat apocalypse i would rather a larger more powerful round since Im limited to semi-auto rifles. If I would get select fire ARs for the end of the world I would be all over 556 though.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    I like the AR15 but for the Democrat apocalypse i would rather a larger more powerful round since Im limited to semi-auto rifles. If I would get select fire ARs for the end of the world I would be all over 556 though.

buy yourself a select fire 5.56 rifle then.

I have one... you can have it for the low , low price of $25K.

Also... a $900 colt is a little more attainable than say, an m107a1, or a semi auto 300winmag.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Like others have said, how much do you want to spend.
    Building an AR is almost as easy as putting the parts in a bag and shaking it together. And they are fun to build. If you shop around, you can fine parts on sale.
    Have fun and build one or two. All but one of these cost me under $600 to build
    2aiikk4.jpg

2mgm3vm.jpg

2upwuih.jpg

2i12l9d.jpg

ampew.jpg

hrigp5.jpg

311xjy8.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Like others have said, how much do you want to spend.
    Building an AR is almost as easy as putting the parts in a bag and shaking it together. And they are fun to build. If you shop around, you can fine parts on sale.
    Have fun and build one or two. All but one of these cost me under $600 to build

Nice rifles! I really like that Spartan-15 lower!

This was my last build. Total without the MBUS was $530 & you can pick up MBUS sights for around $50-60 if you shop around.

23567551219_5dc6842641_z.jpg

Edit -

I saw cheap deal yesterday, for MBUS Pro's. It was $90ish for the pair.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom