Taser laws,restrictions in schools

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I'm thinking about buying my girlfiend a taser c2. She's at LSU's nursing school, and I can't seem to find any information on the legality/restrictions regarding tasers.

My main concern is that she has clinicals on Fridays and Saturdays which usually keep her well after dark.

Anyone have any knowledge to provide on this subject?

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    My opinion on the matter is a bit different.

Just give her the taser and tell her to carry it in her purse, or wherever. There could be a school ban on it (in fact, knowing the lunacy of most "restrictions" at schools, there probably is), but I would highly doubt a female carrying a taser in her purse when she's having to leave a place fairly late at night is going to get in any trouble for it. They'd probably just say, "Hey, school policy is you're not supposed to have those, so don't carry it anymore." Not to mention the fact that if she never has to use it, no one will ever see it.

On the other hand, if you ask and they say, "No" then you're stuck in the position of asking her to knowingly break the school policy. At least she can truly claim she didn't know at this point.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My opinion on the matter is a bit different.

Just give her the taser and tell her to carry it in her purse, or wherever. There could be a school ban on it (in fact, knowing the lunacy of most "restrictions" at schools, there probably is), but I would highly doubt a female carrying a taser in her purse when she's having to leave a place fairly late at night is going to get in any trouble for it. They'd probably just say, "Hey, school policy is you're not supposed to have those, so don't carry it anymore." Not to mention the fact that if she never has to use it, no one will ever see it.

On the other hand, if you ask and they say, "No" then you're stuck in the position of asking her to knowingly break the school policy. At least she can truly claim she didn't know at this point.

Unfortunately most of the campus laws/rules I've seen to this point include some sort of "ignorance of laws cannot be used as an excuse" clause.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Unfortunately most of the campus laws/rules I've seen to this point include some sort of "ignorance of laws cannot be used as an excuse" clause.

And even if there are no criminal penalties often result in expulsion of dismissal. Not fair but so true.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I will call LSP and get a ruling immediately. ;) Just kidding.

Like most have said, there is no law specifically against tasers. They are viewed pretty much the same as pepper spray. However, her school may prohibit them in some way. I agree with the better safe to be caught with than without in that case.

When you buy the C2, you will get a certificate to get training from a Taser instructor. I know the instructor gets like 100.00, but I think it is either paid by Taser or included in the price. I am an instructor with that program, but to be honest have only had one person call me about it and never seen anyobne go through th etraining.

If you get it for her, I would send her through the training. There are some finer points to aiming the Taser that would be helpful to her. Also, if god forbid she had to use it, it would prove favorable to her in court that she actually received training on the proper use of this "weapon" before she used it on the poor young gentlemen that was going to rape her.

Just remember that the taser for all practical purposes is a one shot deal, so she has to get it right the first time. However, if she does hit in, a 30 second taser ride gives her a few seconds to watch him squirm and laugh, and plenty of time to run away. ;)

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area

Wasn't suggesting otherwise; however, saying, "well, my boyfriend got it for me and told me to carry it, I don't know anything about it" is a lot better than "yeah, I knew I wasn't supposed to have it, but **** LSU and it's policies."

And even if there are no criminal penalties often result in expulsion of dismissal. Not fair but so true.

Again, I would find it very hard to believe that some girl caught with a taser in her purse leaving a place after dark and not knowing the LSU policy would get expelled right off the bat, no ifs, ands, or buts. At Millsaps, school policy was for people to not have pepper spray. Plenty of girls still did it, and the administration pretty much looked the other way, particularly after someone got mugged at knifepoint on campus...

Top Bottom