Telling LEO there's a gun....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Heated debate with my roommate has yielded this question,

Are you legally required to tell a LEO there is a gun in your car if you are pulled over? I know CC have to in the state of Louisiana. But, what if it is in the glove box/center console/under the seat?
    Your opinion on the matter is more then welcome- just start a new thread.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    IANAL or a cop...

No, you do not have to inform.

However, it's the general consensus that it's a damn good idea to tell them if it's on top of your paperwork or even in the same compartment. Then again, it's a better idea to keep your paperwork separate from your firearm if that's the case.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Try searching, it's been discussed about 34321321 times.

Cliff's notes: not legally required unless on your person. But informing them is a good way to get on the LEO's good side and show that you mean no harm.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    i never tell unless asked. only time i told them was when i was pulled over in my dads truck because he had one on top of his paperwork, so i notified the officer beforehand. i never keep one with my paperwork and i dont ever volunteer information. if they ask i always tell them the truth. my personal reason for not saying "hey i have a gun" is simply for the fact i dont want to get a cop that mistakingly takes it as a threat and gets hostile. but as was stated before, if i am carrying i always notify as per the law.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    IANAL or a cop...

No, you do not have to inform.

However, it's the general consensus that it's a damn good idea to tell them if it's on top of your paperwork or even in the same compartment. Then again, it's a better idea to keep your paperwork separate from your firearm if that's the case.

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    Try searching, it's been discussed about 34321321 times.

Cliff's notes: not legally required unless on your person. But informing them is a good way to get on the LEO's good side and show that you mean no harm.

Thanks for the quick answer yall. This is as I thought. searches usually yield all kinds of other things i wasn't looking for and then I end up reading of into a tangent. I figure this subject had been covered before but I wanted the short and sweet.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I normally just wave it outside the window while yelling its loaded and practicing good trigger discipline with my finger off the trigger but still a little twitchy.

Martini

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Red Stick
    My CC class instructor gave me the answer I use. I have not been pulled over since I started carrying, but if I get pulled over I will calmly and with both hands on the steering wheel say "Officer, per state law I am required to inform you that I am a valid concealed carry holder and I am exercising my right to carry." This gives the officer a bit more warning than "I have a gun!" and it tells him why I have a gun and that I am almost certainly not a threat.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Just make sure you have a revolver. That way no one can disassemble your gun.

Sorry, had to put that in there.

Seriously though, it's always a good idea to inform them if there is a gun in the car.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My CC class instructor gave me the answer I use. I have not been pulled over since I started carrying, but if I get pulled over I will calmly and with both hands on the steering wheel say "Officer, per state law I am required to inform you that I am a valid concealed carry holder and I am exercising my right to carry." This gives the officer a bit more warning than "I have a gun!" and it tells him why I have a gun and that I am almost certainly not a threat.

Actually if you did that to me I'd freak. Personally I'd prefer you hand me your permit and license at the same time and say "Yeah, I'm packin" with a smile. As long as you have a valid permit I know you aren't a felon and as long as your gun is concealed I know I could get to my duty weapon and put at least 3 rounds in you before you could even get yours out.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    I dont remember how many times i have told an officer there is a gun in my truck, and every time the officer asks where and says can i get out, then asks, can i run the numbers... blah blah.. now wtf kind of douchebag is gonna alert a cop to a gun that is hidden and he will never find if its stolen or just killed a guy 2 blocks over??

And of course this takes about 30 damn minutes to do all of it, only to say "have a nice day, oh BTW thats a nice gun" but im guess im the bigger moron, cuz i tell them every damn time.

I once got pulled over late at night, heading home from a shoot, had 6 rifles and 2 handguns with me, and this moron has me wait while he runs every damn number, now im no genius officer but im guessing that a guy who stole the guns, wouldnt have them in individual cases, with corresponding ammo , and driving a New truck, with a gun rest and chronograph, with a bunch of shot targets and a pass to the range with him. But this guy had to make sure... yea right, the worst part is the way they handle the guns, the finger up the metal, and leave the bolts cocked, and basically handle a 2000 dollar rifle like its some walmart special. I have a 2 gun guncase and this guy actually crossed the barrels and tried to close the case, i said "WAIT!!! can i do that?" he says "ummm yea sure, i dont remember how they were in there".

I have no problem letting a LEO check my weapon, but for gods sakes, dont beat it like it was screwin your wife! Have a little respect for peoples valuable things.

I have friends that wont tell the cops theres a gun for these very reasons, so if any LEOs are reading, next time you handle someones gun, do it gently, dont just throw it around or lay it on the metal hood or something.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I normally just wave it outside the window while yelling its loaded and practicing good trigger discipline with my finger off the trigger but still a little twitchy.

Also fire a couple of rounds into the air so the officer knows it's functioning properly.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I always make sure I have my paperwork in hand when the officer approaches .
    No reason to go into the glovebox or console and complicate matters .
    As long as my vehicle is not being searched , it's a non issue .

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I dont remember how many times i have told an officer there is a gun in my truck, and every time the officer asks where and says can i get out, then asks, can i run the numbers... I have friends that wont tell the cops theres a gun for these very reasons, so if any LEOs are reading, next time you handle someones gun, do it gently, dont just throw it around or lay it on the metal hood or something.
    Exactly why I might be against informing if unless it was laying on top of my insurance

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Good idea, I need to make sure I have my paperwork. my insurance is done online and I have to print out my cards every 6 months...

I would not reccommend going for the papers before being told to do so. That could be misinterpreted as going for a weapon. Depending on the circumstances you were pulled over for, IE bad drug area, etc. the officer may be thinking you are the common thug.

It is a good idea to have all paperwork togather and seperate from where you store your firearm. An ggod place is in a envelope or small case near the visor. this allows the officer to see your hands at all times.

I agree with what LongRange said. granted, most of the high points and Leorincos can take quite a beating, but most people do not travel with a set-up like Longrange. Unless of course, they just stole the whole vehicle with what was in it an hour ago, or they stole the cased weapons from you home.

Despite the occasional dissassembly, ;), I try to handle everyones firearms or any property with care. Ither than my own respect for a fine firearm, you know someone nowadays will try to sue for anything they can, even a scratch that may or may not have been there before you even touched it.

Bottom line, the leo wants to get out of there as soon as possible too. Most leos, as soon as they asertain you are a normal joe, will send you on their way. SOme agencies have policies that you must run all firearms encounter regardless of the circumstances. Factor in video recording on cars, and the guy has no choice regardless of how ridiculous it is.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have friends that wont tell the cops theres a gun for these very reasons, so if any LEOs are reading, next time you handle someones gun, do it gently, dont just throw it around or lay it on the metal hood or something.

No one that reads this forum would do that. The ones that do are the ones that are as familiar with a rifle as you are tofu.

Top Bottom