Telling LEO there's a gun....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Something that puzzles me when consent is requested to search. I've read on a police department's online manuel (I don't recall the department, maybe in New Mexico) that consent can only be given of the person is free to leave. Any truth to that in Louisiana or the NOPD?

Ummm, departmental policies are all a little different. Some attempt to be more restruicvtive than case law in order to give officers a buffer. A consensual search, like a consensual statement, can be stopped at anytime. You are not necessarily free to leave while vehicle is being searched. you may be under arrest, or you may be "detained". Very grey area there with a lot of variables.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    The proper manner to tell the cop..

"Freeze Honky!"

I prefer waiting until they walk up to the car window...

Start obviously making a loud *sniffing* noise with your head out the window. Then look up and ask them, "Do you smell bacon?"

I've had a lot of success with that one.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    To inform an LEO, just do like this guy did

Man arrested for firing shots at a sheriff's deputy

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - A Baton Rouge man is behind bars Sunday with an attempted murder charge after he allegedly fired shots at an East Baton Rouge sheriff's deputy.

Sheriff's detectives say the deputy was responding to a call just before 10 a.m. Sunday when the deputy saw Maurice Williams parked at Gentilly Park with his car door open. When Williams saw the deputy, he ran off.

The deputy chased him to the 14,000 block of Gravier Avenue, where Williams got out of the vehicle and ran behind a group of houses.

Deputies say he began firing shots and then ran into a nearby house. The deputy was not hit.

Sheriff's detectives say Williams lives in that neighborhood. He now faces a laundry list of charges including attempted first-degree murder of a police officer, resisting arrest and entering a home without permission. He was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.
    9768716_BG1.jpg

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    We've established that you are not required to tell a LEO that you are carrying. I guess what I don't understand is that if you not a criminal what is the harm in telling him?

What is the POINT in telling him ? It's a non issue . Leave the weapon alone and handle your business with the officer , and you both go on your way .
    SOME LEO's are going to want to unload it , run serial numbers , etc. , etc .
    There is no point in complicating matters with something that is unnescessary .

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What is the POINT in telling him ? It's a non issue . Leave the weapon alone and handle your business with the officer , and you both go on your way .
    SOME LEO's are going to want to unload it , run serial numbers , etc. , etc .
    There is no point in complicating matters with something that is unnescessary .

NitroX

You can't fix stupid.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    FWIW I was stopped a few weeks ago on the Atch bridge by Henderson popo and he walked up to the car, asked for my dl (didn't ask for ins verification), asked if I had a warrant out for my arrest, then said he would be right back. 5 min later he returned with my dl and he let me go w/out a ticket. Never once did he ask if I was cc or a weapon in the vehicle so IMO like dantheman says... Why complicate matters. Now if the officer had of asked me then of course I would of said yes.
    To be entirely honest I didn't even think about it until reading this thread. Just so used to having a weapon in vehicle it didn't cross my mind.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    ... Why complicate matters. Now if the officer had of asked me then of course I would of said yes.
    To be entirely honest I didn't even think about it until reading this thread. Just so used to having a weapon in vehicle it didn't cross my mind.

Finally , somebody " get's it " . :)

Top Bottom