Tests of American Made Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I own an AK47. Out of curiosity I would like to know why there are zillions of ballistic gel tests on foreign made 7.62X39 ammo, but very few on ammo made in the U.S. If I could be convinced that the American made ammo is significantly better than foreign made ammo I would pay the extra price.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    What is this 8m1effect you mention and how is it determined? I just buy surplus and have never seen this

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I bought a bunch of Wolf for practice and Golden Tiger and Hornady for the real deal. But I'm so new to this stuff I don't know how effective Golden Tiger and Hornady are. The ONLY reason I bought the rifle is in the event of an urban uprising where I figure the shooting distance would be somewhere between 20 - 40 yards. I would literally pay the $50.00 a box for ammo if I knew it would be much more effective.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    An AK can easy disperse of two legged threats out the 300meters. My main feelings are the AK was designed to shoot steel cased ammo so why feed it high dollar ammo. Also ballistically speaking russian soft point ammo wins for the price. Their hollow point ammo doesn't expand like it should. The only ammo I would guess would be better would be Hornady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    The gel tests that I have seen on Russian Soft Point ammo show that it does not mushroom either. I have stocked up on Wolf HP as several tests show it deforms and tumbles better than anything "cheap" you can buy. It does not mushroom per say, but it does tumble, deform and cause considerable damage.

If you want the absolute "ultimate" defensive load for the 7.62 x 39, try the Corbon DPX using the 123 gr TSX bullet. I hand load an equivalent load using this bullet and have killed 4 deer last season with it and the damage it does is pretty awesome.

Last edited:

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I was told buy someone who I would consider an expert on the subject that the only ammo he uses in his AK47 is Wolf Military Classic. It tumbles very effectively.

Top Bottom