Texas firearms instructors oppose constitutional carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So a group that makes money off of people getting permits to carry is against permitless carry. I'm sure they're against it for the children.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I found this article interesting. It seems a group of LTC instructors have teamed up with anti gun groups to try to sink constitutional carry in Texas.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/gr..._6f6fac3eaa-f8e3f7735c-22032915#axzz6sGC2StOq

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/gr...rs-oppose-constitutional-carry/#ixzz6sGQMnUit
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

They are afraid they will not make as much $$$$$.

The instructors also plead with the Legislature not to pass Constitutional Carry because it would hurt their bottom line. The group plays on the heartstrings by talking about how much the pandemic and lack of ammunition have hurt their businesses. They go on to state that HB 1911 might put some of them out of business.

The state reads: *Many small businesses have suffered because of the pandemic and the lack of ammo; we will suffer even more if you remove the LTC requirement in Texas it will put many of us out of business.*

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It is still quite possible to market their classes. After all, it would be so much easier for people to just take the class without the annoying red tape. I remember taking a personal protection class at St Bernard Indoor as a teen before even joining the Marine Corps.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    It is still quite possible to market their classes. After all, it would be so much easier for people to just take the class without the annoying red tape. I remember taking a personal protection class at St Bernard Indoor as a teen before even joining the Marine Corps.

People won't sign up if they don't have to. Most probably don't offer a real shooting class.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Most people who legally concealed carry will still get a permit so they can cross state lines . Also there may be perks to getting a cc permit even if you don't have to . Maybe it could be that if cc permit you are protected from lawsuit if you are in a justified shooting or if you "forget" and go to a school function or into a government bldg with your gun and get caught and volunteer to leave there is no penalty .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Most people who legally concealed carry will still get a permit so they can cross state lines . Also there may be perks to getting a cc permit even if you don't have to . Maybe it could be that if cc permit you are protected from lawsuit if you are in a justified shooting or if you "forget" and go to a school function or into a government bldg with your gun and get caught and volunteer to leave there is no penalty .

maybe? Highly unlikely in both instances. Louisiana being constitutional carry would make a ccw permit basically useless for me considering most of my traveling is to Mississippi and Alabama.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    maybe? Highly unlikely in both instances. Louisiana being constitutional carry would make a ccw permit basically useless for me considering most of my traveling is to Mississippi and Alabama.
    Do you mean Miss. nor Alabama no longer honors La. permit
    or do you mean you are good to conceal carry in Miss and Alabama without a permit even if you are not a resident of those states now .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Do you mean Miss. nor Alabama no longer honors La. permit
    or do you mean you are good to conceal carry in Miss and Alabama without a permit even if you are not a resident of those states now .

“Maybe it could be that if cc permit you are protected from lawsuit if you are in a justified shooting or if you "forget" and go to a school function or into a government bldg with your gun and get caught and volunteer to leave there is no penalty .”

that is the part of your post that I find extremely unlikely to ever happen. Mississippi and Alabama are already constitutional carry and the only two places I travel to other then for vacation. If Louisiana also becomes constitutional carry I would have no reason to have a ccw permit other than for gun purchases to not have to wait for a proceed.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    “Maybe it could be that if cc permit you are protected from lawsuit if you are in a justified shooting or if you "forget" and go to a school function or into a government bldg with your gun and get caught and volunteer to leave there is no penalty .”

that is the part of your post that I find extremely unlikely to ever happen. Mississippi and Alabama are already constitutional carry and the only two places I travel to other then for vacation. If Louisiana also becomes constitutional carry I would have no reason to have a ccw permit other than for gun purchases to not have to wait for a proceed.
    The immune from lawsuit if justified and no harm no foul in restricted places is a perk for Mo. residents who follows the permit route . It seems you are saying if La. becomes constitutional carry that you can also carry in Miss with out a permit . I was under the assumption only Miss resident were allowed to carry permitless in Miss and the rest of us has to have a permit from our state . Has that changed ?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The immune from lawsuit if justified and no harm no foul in restricted places is a perk for Mo. residents who follows the permit route . It seems you are saying if La. becomes constitutional carry that you can also carry in Miss with out a permit . I was under the assumption only Miss resident were allowed to carry permitless in Miss and the rest of us has to have a permit from our state . Has that changed ?

I found this on uscca website about Mississippi.

Mississippi is a shall-issue, constitutional carry state with concealed weapons permits issued at the state level by the Department of Public Safety.
    There is no permit, background check or firearms registration required when buying a handgun from a private individual. A background check is required if purchasing a handgun from a Federal Firearms Dealer.
    Open carry is legal in Mississippi for anyone at least 18 years of age who can legally possess a firearm with several restrictions, including that the firearm be carried in a holster, sheath or scabbard that is at least partially visible above clothing anywhere where guns are not otherwise prohibited. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and bars.
    Concealed carry is legal without a permit for anyone who can legally possess a firearm as long as the handgun is carried in a holster or sheath. Mississippi statutes don’t address the minimum age for permitless concealed carry. For reciprocity reasons, two types of permits are still available at the state level: the Standard Firearms Permit (SFP) and an enhanced version (E-SFP), which allows carry in more locations. A permit applicant must be 21 years old (or at least 18 and a member or the military or a veteran) and either be a resident of Mississippi, a non-resident with a valid permit from another state, active duty member of the military stationed in Mississippi or be a retired law enforcement officer establishing residency in the state. The E-SFP requires a firearms training course offered by an instructor certified by the Mississippi Department of Public Safety. In terms of reciprocity, since Mississippi has permitless carry, any person who can legally possess a firearm may carry a concealed firearm on his or her person without a license or permit.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    The first required class back in the early days of Texas classes for concealed permits was well organized and thought out, second refresher class was the same, The third was a disaster, I had to call the "instructor" for painting the small class with a pistol. He said it was unloaded and my comment was that a lot of people were killed with unloaded guns.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    A profit motive is almost ALWAYS at the core of someone's persuasion on issues. After all, we ARE capitalist! That's not a bad thing. However, there are better ways to sell your point of view than to politically force others to kneel before you.

I will give them some respect. If they are saying out loud they are against it because of the negative impact it may have on their bottom lines, at least they aren't lying about how it will hurt minorities! ;)

jbanks2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Wrong way view

I found this article interesting. It seems a group of LTC instructors have teamed up with anti gun groups to try to sink constitutional carry in Texas.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/04/gr..._6f6fac3eaa-f8e3f7735c-22032915#axzz6sGC2StOq

This LTC group is looking at it the wrong way... This is an opportunity to teach more classes for safe handling of guns... More people handling guns means more people needing the proper training...

I recently resettled to TX and I am an NRA instructor. I plan to file in order to teach LTC and I support Constitutional Carry... The HB 1927 does not eliminate the existing LTC law.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1927

Top Bottom