Texting you when primers are in-stock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    Hi All,

My name is Ben Gitter (Storm_) and I built a tool called PrimerPrimer.

PrimerPrimer:

[FONT=&amp]We use code to crawl the internet very fast for in-stock primers and send you a text message with a link and all the details when we find them in-stock.[/FONT]

https://primerprimer.com/

How it started

A few months ago my buddies and I began laying the foundation for starting a commercial reloading operation. Quickly, we realized how bad the primer shortage had become.

After a bit of digging, many hours on hold, and chatting with a lot of different companies I realized something interesting.

While significantly less, the supply of primers to retails has not stopped, and many weeks 1 or 2 retailers will actually get primers in-stock online. (But you do have to be quick, they sell out in minutes)

So, we got to work. We built some code that will check about 23 different retailers at a very fast interval and text us a link when they are in-stock.

Over the last 30 days of using our system we were able to get enough primers to not worry about proceeding with our little commercial reloading operations.

Where we are now

Instead of turning the system off a few weeks ago, we thought we might as well bundle it up into a small service, and offer it to other frequent shooters & reloaders.

We are charging $11.99 a month, with the hopes of covering server costs and maybe getting us a few beers.

In a nutshell here is how it works:

• An individual would sign up
      • Provide the phone number they want to receive the texts on
      • Select what type of primer they want texts for
    • We shoot you a text message whenever we detect a primer in-stock
      • You can click the link and make your purchase if you choose.
    • Cancel anytime, don't even have to call us, can do it right from the website.

I believe less honorable individuals are quickly buying these up for scalping due to the current resale price on Gunbrokers.

While PrimerPrimer was built for a commercial application, I hope PrimerPrimer can help level the playing field for non-commercial users.

TL;DR: We send you a text when primers come in-stock online.
    (AustinBR approved post)

Last edited:

Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    As far as what products we are sending alerts for:

Currently we are only sending alerts for Small Rifle & Small Rifle Mag primers.

Soon in the future we would like to add notifications for Small Pistol, Large Pistol, Large Rifle, and Shotgun primers.

I would even love to add alerts for powder, cases, and general ammunition down the line.

But we will need to see if PrimerPrimer becomes adopted to do that.

What happens to PrimerPrimer when the market recovers?

While I hope this will be soon, I have a feeling it will be awhile.

But when that time does come, we will transition from in-stock alerts, to sending *best deal* notifications maybe once or twice a week to your phone. (Cheapest Price Per Unit retailers for each product group, discounts codes only for our community, etc)

If you have any questions, comments, thoughts, please don't hesitate to reach out.

I'll be around here and you can always PM me.

Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    So like distill, just worse?

Like distill, but a few differences:
    - We can check at lower intervals without getting IP banned (right now we are checking at about 15 second intervals)
    - Don't have to leave your computer tied up with distil running its processes (Their cloud service at its fastest is 2 minute intervals, and that's over $80(!!) a month)
    - Currently are checking about 200 different products across 23 stores for SRP's, a good bit more than distil could do.
    - Overall better for retails as we run one scraper, that alerts many people, rather than many people running their own, hurting the retailers servers.
    - Also no configuration which is nice, just sign up and get alerts.

We are also less than distils least expensive paid tier.

I like distil, but I think we have a better solution, which looks are many more products at a high frequency, and doesn't hog up your computer.

Last edited:

Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    I certainly don't want this to come across as spam, I just built some software that helped me and figured I'd keep building to see if it would help others.

I know how hard primers are to get, and wanted to share another avenue instead of driving up to bass pro a few times a week.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I certainly don't want this to come across as spam, I just built some software that helped me and figured I'd keep building to see if it would help others.

I know how hard primers are to get, and wanted to share another avenue instead of driving up to bass pro a few times a week.
    It might not be spam. It just appeared like a new member was advertising a service that costs money and I really thought you had to be a sponsor to do that or it’s considered spam.
    My apologies if I’m wrong but you may want to check with admin

Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    It might not be spam. It just appeared like a new member was advertising a service that costs money and I really thought you had to be a sponsor to do that or it’s considered spam.
    My apologies if I’m wrong but you may want to check with admin

I totally understand how it could be taken that way. Yes, it is paid, but I really am not trying to make any profit on it. Just pay for the servers and maybe a few beers.

Servers are expensive, this is just a project we did for fun.

Before even posting I reached out to AustinBR and asked for his permission to post, he gave me the green light.

:)

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I totally understand how it could be taken that way. Yes, it is paid, but I really am not trying to make any profit on it. Just pay for the servers and a few beers.

Servers are expensive, this is just a project we did for fun.

Before even posting I reached out to AustinBR and asked for his permission to post, he gave me the green light.

:)

Oh, I see. Well there ya go. All good!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I approved this on the conditional basis (after checking with the site owner) that it might help out users in a pinch wanting to get primers. It's similar to how we are letting trainers (conditionally) advertise for free.

If this business blows up or starts massively profiting off of users, then the terms would change. As is, though, I just see it as a small service that may or may not help out a few members. If it does, we are okay with that and would rather the users get a good deal and get primers vs some assholes sucking them up with the intent of reselling and upcharging everyday joes.

That's my take, at least.

Storm_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2021
    New Orleans
    I approved this on the conditional basis (after checking with the site owner) that it might help out users in a pinch wanting to get primers. It's similar to how we are letting trainers (conditionally) advertise for free.

If this business blows up or starts massively profiting off of users, then the terms would change. As is, though, I just see it as a small service that may or may not help out a few members. If it does, we are okay with that and would rather the users get a good deal and get primers vs some assholes sucking them up with the intent of reselling and upcharging everyday joes.

That's my take, at least.

You explained it much better than I.

This whole thing came out of our backs being against a wall, pay crazy prices for primers or build something to get them reasonably, we chose the latter.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    You explained it much better than I.

This whole thing came out of our backs being against a wall, pay crazy prices for primers or build something to get them reasonably, we chose the latter.

If it become greatly profitable maybe you could buy a primer machine with the profit and make a primer manufacturing business. Atf licensing too. Make dollars make sense. :rofl:

Top Bottom