The American Flag in Uniforms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Hey guys another good subject that was posted this morning on Officer.com, its a copy paste so dont burn me for it, at the same time please give out your thoughts and opinions, thanks.

Frank Borelli
    Editor-in-Chief
    Officer.com

There is currently a poll question posted on the Officer.com homepage which asks, “Is there an American flag patch / pin on your uniform?” As I type this there have been 320 votes with 61% of them in the NO column. 39% have answered YES. Now I’m not sure which way exactly I should be looking at this…
    First, please understand that I am an Army service veteran. For all my time in uniform for the Army (or the Army National Guard where I spent some years too) there was no American Flag patch on my uniform. There were command patches and unit patches - but no American Flag patch. I never really understood that - and still don’t to some large degree.

Second, remember that I spent over twenty years wearing a police uniform. My first eleven years saw no American Flag patch on my uniform with the exception of my Dress Blue Blouse (coat). For the next eight years after that I had an American Flag patch on the right shoulder of all my uniform shirts. My final six years of active law enforcement duty were spent (mostly) in plain clothes. IF I wore a uniform, it had an American Flag patch on the right shoulder. During my plain-clothes work, if I wore a suit coat, there was an American Flag pin on the lapel.

Having thought about all that I had to wonder whether I felt good or bad about the fact that 61% of the respondents in our poll (so far) don’t have an American Flag patch or pin on their uniform. I mean, part of me feels like they certainly should to show off national pride. Another part of me feels that those law enforcement professionals (the large majority of them) are empowered by states, counties or cities/towns and maybe it’s entirely appropriate that they DON’T have an American Flag on the uniform of their employing entity.

Since I have such mixed thoughts about it, I thought I’d bring the topic “to the floor” for discussion and ask you, our readership, what your thoughts and feelings are on the matter.

Care to share?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    No country in the world has our level of nationalism, and only one in the past came close to where we are now. I'll let you figure out who that was.

If anyone complains about the lack of prevalence of flags in our society, they should be pimpslapped back into reality.

A uniform is a uniform, I don't think you should be able to wear pieces of flare on it, regardless of what the piece represents.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No country in the world has our level of nationalism, and only one in the past came close to where we are now. I'll let you figure out who that was.

If anyone complains about the lack of prevalence of flags in our society, they should be pimpslapped back into reality.

A uniform is a uniform, I don't think you should be able to wear pieces of flare on it, regardless of what the piece represents.

If it is a uniform, then the flag is part of the uniform, if mandated by organization represented by such uniform.

Have you ever worn a real uniform...not the one for Rally's.

I do don't think there are enough American flags in our society. Fell free to come on down and pimp slap me. Please remember to pack a lunch, your insurance card, and a friend for video evidence.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

I do don't think there are enough American flags in our society. Fell free to come on down and pimp slap me. Please remember to pack a lunch, your insurance card, and a friend for video evidence.

:rofl::mamoru::D Brannon aint rite nooooooooooo LOL!

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    If it is a uniform, then the flag is part of the uniform, if mandated by organization represented by such uniform.

If it's part of the uniform, then fine. If it's not, then modifying the uniform is kind of against the point of a uniform, imo.

I just think the country is way over board with flags to the point of vanity. I'm not too big on vanity. I think it's disrespectful to the flag to use it so vainly.

kirbyv1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Hammond, La
    There's actually three on my uniform. Our department patchs have the American Flag in them and I have been wearing the same American Flag pin over my name tag since I started in 1999 and will it be there until I stop wearing this uniform...

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If it's part of the uniform, then fine. If it's not, then modifying the uniform is kind of against the point of a uniform, imo.

I just think the country is way over board with flags to the point of vanity. I'm not too big on vanity. I think it's disrespectful to the flag to use it so vainly.

Your post defies logic. If it is a uniform, then it is a uniform and what is decided to be on it is uniform by definition. If it is not a uniform then it is not a uniform and it is not determined to look any particular way.

SO when is it appropriate to you to wear or display a flag?

ANd please explain how showing patriotism, alligence to a flag, etc is equal to vanity.

Again, have you ever worn a uniform for service to your country or community?

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    There's actually three on my uniform. Our department patchs have the American Flag in them and I have been wearing the same American Flag pin over my name tag since I started in 1999 and will it be there until I stop wearing this uniform...

YOU DISRESPECTFUL HEATHEN!!!!!!

:mamoru: by some people's standards who have probably never shed blood, a tear, or sweat for anyone other than themselves.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    will it be there until I stop wearing this uniform...

I agree it should be part of every uniform regardless of department or unit, you should be proud to serve and making a difference OR you should request to get out, simple as that.

Eventhough I am not an American by definition since I was born in another country I am thankfull for heaving the oportunity to have a better life here not only for myself but for my son, and my work uniforms have the American Flag on one shoulder and my flag on the other and will continue to be like this until I find another profession or lay to rest in peace, and NO for those who will talk bad about heaving two flags mine is not on top of the US flag and will never be.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Believe it or not, the flag is a symbol for everyone in this country, not just veterans, soldiers, and civil servants.

I don't think you quite understand what I was saying about adding your own personal flags in addition to a uniform that may or may not already have flags on it... but that's alright, I'm not trying to convince you. The OP had a question asking for thoughts, and I was just stating mine.

I see you have a pattern of personal attacks to anyone who disagrees with you. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Grown men should be able to find more mature ways to discuss topics, though.

If you're curious about more details on my feelings about the flag, or symbols of importance in general, feel free to PM me, and I'll let you know, but I'd rather not continue polluting the thread, here.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Believe it or not, the flag is a symbol for everyone in this country, not just veterans, soldiers, and civil servants.

No one suggested otherwise. However we were talking about uniforms of military and police, fire, etc. Apparently that fact was lost on you.

I don't think you quite understand what I was saying about adding your own personal flags in addition to a uniform that may or may not already have flags on it... but that's alright, I'm not trying to convince you. The OP had a question asking for thoughts, and I was just stating mine.

Buddy, you will not convince me. It is apparent by your lack of answering a simple question and your comments here that you are yet another armchair commando who has not served anyone but himself. I know what a uniform is kiddo, I have worn more than one since before I was old enough to vote.

I see you have a pattern of personal attacks to anyone who disagrees with you. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Grown men should be able to find more mature ways to discuss topics, though.

if you consider this a personal attack, then maybe you need to grow up and stay indoors during sunny days.

If I said you were a punk little know-it all commenting on patriotism without having done a single thing to support the country or community that requires a uniform, then that would be a personal attack.

However, asking you questions that you refuse to answer under the guise of a "moral high road", well that is what we call smoking a snake from the woodpile

ETA--- A personal attack would be when some WW2, Korea, or Vietnam vet hears you say that crap and they slap you like you were 12 years old. THAT would be a personal attack. I freaking dare you to approach a veteran and tell them they are disrespecting the flag by wearing a pin, hat, or anything for that matter. You got a lot of nerve.

If you're curious about more details on my feelings about the flag, or symbols of importance in general, feel free to PM me, and I'll let you know, but I'd rather not continue polluting the thread, here.

If you cannot be "man enough" to express your opinions here, then I really have no need to discuss anything with you. :o

Furthermore, your attempts to use issues in no way related to the topic at hand are juvenile and weak. Your assignment...

1). Look up what a uniform is by definition.
    2). Read said definition
    3) Read OP and understand it is referring to patches and such implemented as part of a uniform. The reasons and logic for US patches are different for .mil and LEO.
    4) Take the time to actually introduce yourself here like is normal in polite society since you seem to be Mrs. manners and all. Perhaps if you enlighten us to your background a little, we would understand what perspective all your wisdom and insight seems to sprout from.
    5) The offer still stands for you to come down to NOLA and "pimp slap" me as you said need to be done to so many who feel we need a higher level of patriotism.:eek3:

.MIL- US patches are part of most operational military units to quite simply denote the country of the unit due to the fact that most operations involve several countries that may be operating in same theater. Of course, there is some "patriotic" symbolism to it.

LEO- Since most US LEO operate in the US, the use of US flags and patches serves an almost wholly patriotic symbolism since there is obviously no need for country of origin identification.

Dude, if you think you are going to come on this forum, or almost any gun forum with that stupid "there are too many people wearing the flag" **** and get away with it, then there are not even words to describe that level of naivety.

However, if there is one sliver of a chance of me holding your hand and walking you to some kind of intelligible point, it would be that I agree there are many people who misuse it.

For example, I was at a pool party on July 4th ,and some guy had an actual US flag draped over his shoulder while he gyrated his fat ass in the pool-----WRONG. Took all I had not to approach him, but there is a time and place, and it was not a battle I was willing to engage in at that particular time.

however, there were several hot women wearing US flag themed bikinis that i do not consider a problem because they are not actual flags. Same with flag themed paper plates, napkins, banners, etc. But when one take an actual flag and does anything other than properly display it, I have a problem.

Look. I do not expect you to understand. You obviously sit comfortably under that blanket of security so many provide, and with your college educated mouth, suppose and expose on the manner in which it is provided. Have fun.

But learn to put your money where your mouth is on these types of subjects. Please give me at least 24 hours notice of impending pimp slap so that I can make sure my dress blues are properly pressed for the occasion. i want to make sure I am properly dressed when you educate me on the current status of patriotism in this country.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you cannot be "man enough" to express your opinions here, then I really have no need to discuss anything with you. :o

Furthermore, your attempts to use issues in no way related to the topic at hand are juvenile and weak. Your assignment...

1). Look up what a uniform is by definition.
    2). Read said definition
    3) Read OP and understand it is referring to patches and such implemented as part of a uniform. The reasons and logic for US patches are different for .mil and LEO.
    4) Take the time to actually introduce yourself here like is normal in polite society since you seem to be Mrs. manners and all. Perhaps if you enlighten us to your background a little, we would understand what perspective all your wisdom and insight seems to sprout from.
    5) The offer still stands for you to come down to NOLA and "pimp slap" me as you said need to be done to so many who feel we need a higher level of patriotism.:eek3:

.MIL- US patches are part of most operational military units to quite simply denote the country of the unit due to the fact that most operations involve several countries that may be operating in same theater. Of course, there is some "patriotic" symbolism to it.

LEO- Since most US LEO operate in the US, the use of US flags and patches serves an almost wholly patriotic symbolism since there is obviously no need for country of origin identification.

Dude, if you think you are going to come on this forum, or almost any gun forum with that stupid "there are too many people wearing the flag" **** and get away with it, then there are not even words to describe that level of naivety.

However, if there is one sliver of a chance of me holding your hand and walking you to some kind of intelligible point, it would be that I agree there are many people who misuse it.

For example, I was at a pool party on July 4th ,and some guy had an actual US flag draped over his shoulder while he gyrated his fat ass in the pool-----WRONG. Took all I had not to approach him, but there is a time and place, and it was not a battle I was willing to engage in at that particular time.

however, there were several hot women wearing US flag themed bikinis that i do not consider a problem because they are not actual flags. Same with flag themed paper plates, napkins, banners, etc. But when one take an actual flag and does anything other than properly display it, I have a problem.

Look. I do not expect you to understand. You obviously sit comfortably under that blanket of security so many provide, and with your college educated mouth, suppose and expose on the manner in which it is provided. Have fun.

But learn to put your money where your mouth is on these types of subjects. Please give me at least 24 hours notice of impending pimp slap so that I can make sure my dress blues are properly pressed for the occasion. i want to make sure I am properly dressed when you educate me on the current status of patriotism in this country.:rolleyes:

!

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Damn you make too many false assertions and conclusions.

I can see this is worthless. You obviously already assumed what my opinions are, before I even state them. You apparently know just who I am, too, despite never divulging more than the generics, here.

Still not sure why you're so hard up on me posting an intro thread. It's redundant and pointless. There's info I entered in my profile, and that's good enough. If I want you to know more, I'll tell you. Until then, this is good enough, so deal with it.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

I can see this is worthless. You obviously already assumed what my opinions are, before I even state them. You apparently know just who I am, too, despite never divulging more than the generics, here.

Still not sure why you're so hard up on me posting an intro thread. It's redundant and pointless. There's info I entered in my profile, and that's good enough. If I want you to know more, I'll tell you. Until then, this is good enough, so deal with it.

At least you acknowledge you were wrong and while cowardly, wisely retreated.

When you want to play by big boy rules and you deem me or others worthy enough to be blessed with whatever you apparently opine other than what I stated, please visit again.:rolleyes:

Oh, and I do apologize if I am missing some glaring service you have performed to this country in your very detailed profile listing you as a CADD tech. The best thing you can do (unless you have experience, knowledge, ot secret opinions otherwise) is make sure there is a cover sheet on the damn TPS reports. ;)

Again..you have been weighed...you have been measured...and you have been found wanting.

Last edited:

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    Hot damn we are getting a a little fussy here. Our agency patch has both the U.S. and Louisiana flag on our new uniforms as for our old ones we had a separate U.S. flag on our shoulders. I know a lot of our deputies also have flag pins too they wear

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hot damn we are getting a a little fussy here. Our agency patch has both the U.S. and Louisiana flag on our new uniforms as for our old ones we had a separate U.S. flag on our shoulders. I know a lot of our deputies also have flag pins too they wear

Way too much "flair" What you think you work at TGI friday's? :mamoru:

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA

Everyone on here can see exactly who and what you are from your above posts.No one is assuming anything,you confirmed it with your own words.

About that pimp-slapping business,I too believe there aren't near enough AMERICAN flags being displayed,so why don't you PM me and we can set up the time and place for the attempted pimp-slap?

Now to the question at hand-I have worn a uniform of one type or another for 21 years now,most came with Ole Glory already on them.The ones that didn't,I asked for and recived permission to wear one.The one I am currently in does indeed have a large one on the right breast.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wish there was a unique flag pin given only to veterans. I would love to see every Vet in America recognized everyday for their service. I wear a flag pin on my Uni and a tiny Ranger Tab. I earned the right to wear both whenever the hell I want. If its vain then so be it.

Top Bottom