The drunk driver that hit my wife ....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    He finally went to court this morning . He's been in jail since the date of the accident , June 30 . My wife and I went there to see how it would turn out . The Judge gave him 6 months , and a fine . With credit for time served , he'll get out in another month or so . This would equal one half of his six month sentence . No insurance , no job , no assets . We lose . And he'll probably do it again . :mad:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    He was charged with second offense , and reckless operation . He's had a total of FIVE in his lifetime . This was his second in the last 10 years .

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    What happened to the mandatory ignition interlocks I've been hearing about on the radio for the past several months?

That hasnt been in effect too long , and even if it was he can drive somebody elses vehicle. They are required to put this lock and pay a monthly fee for the service so unless the vehicle is registered to them directly how are you going to track it?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    He had a deactivated interlock in his truck from the previous DWI . The time limit had expired on it and he kept it around for show and tell I guess .

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Incorrect Guate, any vehicle that they drive is supposed to have the Interloc Ignition system in it. Another charge if they get caught without it.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    nobody asked me but I'm all for them.

I'm also for putting a big road armor bumper on the front of my 3/4 ton dodge and accidentally... wait, nevermind.

RoadArmorFront.jpg

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Just shows you how we need stronger laws that make people pay for the damages they cause. He hits you, he has no money, well then he works at a work farm/jail till he pays you back. Instead people get charged with a DUI and you get nothing. My DA worked hard on getting harsher penalties for DUIs when he should have pushed to change things. So stupid.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Incorrect Guate, any vehicle that they drive is supposed to have the Interloc Ignition system in it. Another charge if they get caught without it.

You missed my point here, I know what the Law is, my point is that they can still phisically drive somebody elses vehicle that doesnt have one, they didnt care about getting a DWI so why would they care about another charge.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Wife's son in law has interlock....takes kids with him to blow in it, they have to be used at intervals during driving so he says

He did have a kid sleep in the truck while he honky tonkd so he could blow at go home time, we got that stopped and he found bartenders to blow for him

I reported all this numerous times.....of course to no avail...

So......drunks will drive if alive...

The bumper might be the answer

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I would vote for a bullet to the head for ANYONE with a second DUI. When you get behind the wheel of 2+ tons of death impaired, you are now endangering the lives of everyone between you and your destination. You just gave up any rights you had bubba. If it's your first offense and you maim/kill, bye bye dirtbag.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My hat is off to Judge Lou Daniel . I was extremely impressed with the way he handled his courtroom , and the way he conducted business . He explained everything to the defendants and made sure they understood what was happening to them . He appeared to be leniant to the folks that deserved it ,and hard on those that had been there before . It was an interesting experience .

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I AM TOTALLY AGAINST DUI CHECKPOINTS!!

Which I am sure does not surprise most here. What I am for however is very strict punishments for those who injure others while drunk driving.

Here are my suggestions:

1. If there is no loss of life the offender becomes an indentured servant to the victim till all lose is recovered.

1b. Offender losses his right to drive for 5 years

2. If there is lose of life, the offender receives life at hard labor or life as an indentured servant to the victims family. This of course is at the families discretion upon conviction.

I am of the opinion that there is no need to punish a "victimless" crime, but as soon as there is a victim the punishment is swift and severe. No leniency for first time offenders!
    That in and of its self should be enough of a deterrent.

The problem we have today is that when there is a victim, the punishment is not severe enough.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My suggestion is a mandatory 10 year jail term on the first offense. Period. End of DUI problem.

The reason the current system works so poorly is that everyone who drives under the influence thinks they're okay to make it home. And we all know someone who got caught and gets a fine and some community service. Make it severe enough for the first offense that most people will just not risk it.

I think it shouldn't matter if you kill someone or not-- you put the public at risk by driving under the influence, so your crime is complete. It's just dumb luck whether you kill someone or make it home safely.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom