The importance of carrying a knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    SACRAMENTO, CA – A motorist who allegedly grabbed for a deputy’s pistol and was stabbed by the officer, who used a knife from his utility belt, is expected to be charged with multiple offenses.

The suspect was identified Friday as Eddie Hilliard, 58, of Herald. He was continuing to receive treatment and is expected to survive, said Sacramento County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran.

When he is released from the hospital, he will be booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on suspicion of resisting arrest by means of violence, attempting to take an officer’s firearm, felon in possession of a firearm, possession of stolen property and possession of a switchblade knife.

The incident began at 10:50 p.m. Thursday when the 27-year-old Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputy, a six-year veteran, stopped a car near 44th Street and Perry Avenue in the Fruitridge area. Inside the vehicle was Hilliard, the driver, and two women passengers, ages 53 and 41.

The deputy, who was not identified by the department, asked the driver to step behind the car. Hilliard complied, but while he was behind the car, he attacked the deputy, a sheriff’s department press release states.

As the two struggled, the deputy felt the man grab his handgun in an attempt to remove it from its holster, the release states. Fighting to keep possession of his gun with one hand, the deputy drew a knife from his belt and with his free hand and stabbed his attacker.

Hilliard, wounded in the upper body, stopped fighting and was handcuffed by the male deputy. Paramedics were summoned and took the suspect to UC Davis Medical Center.

The deputy was unhurt. He was placed on paid administrative leave pending investigation of the incident by the sheriff’s department homicide and internal affairs units as well as the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office.

Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputies are authorized to carry knives.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I clip a knife in my back right pocket everytime I put on pants. I never knew how often someone needs a knife on a daily basis. I've been carrying one since I got out of bootcamp.

It's really funny when someone asks if you have a knife to cut something like a string or some tape and you pull out a tanto blade combat-style knife. :eek3::eek4::eek5::eek::ugh:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Be careful !

Same here. Now I've even ordered a Kabar TDI to go with the concealed carry pistol I recently started packing.

Be warned that the CCW or CHL or whatever it is called doesn't authorize carrying of an "illegal" weapon, such as a large concealed knife. State laws vary quite a bit on this, too.................
    Be careful !

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I don't know about yours but my TDI only has about a 4" blade. That hardly qualifies it as big and I am pretty sure fixed blade isn't illegal.

But I've been wrong before.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Switchblades OK for LEO on duty. They sell them to anyone, anyway. So many clip knives, pocket utility razor knives, etc., it's so common to carry a knife, that I've rarely encountered a situation where I ended up charging someone for illegal carrying of weapons over a knife.

On duty, one S&W autoknife, and at least one, sometimes two, Ka-Bar TDIs (I have the belt and ankle types). Damn straight I'd cut someone if need be.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Nowhere in the La law does it say police can carry switchblades. But I won't argue that point as long as I don't get busted for my assisted opening knife.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom