the new Amazon Fire phone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sucks that it is for AT&T only. I am not up for renewal till Feb anyway, so I will wait and get whatever I like most then. I am a total tech nerd though :P

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    SO is the OS simply Amazons interpretation of Android with only the Amazon app store and not the Google play store??

It is Android with Amazon's extras on top of it. Just like the Galaxy S4 and rest of that series use Android, but with their own special touches. It is still based on Android.

I am very impressed with Amazon as a company on pretty much every level. They seem to be above the curve in every industry that they join. Their customer service is beyond exceptional. Seriously, if you ever have a problem with anything Amazon related they fix it. As for this phone, it looks pretty badass. I imagine that their competitors will see it and try to one up it ASAP. Right now I am on a Galaxy S4 and before that I had a Motorola Droid Bionic. If all goes according to plan, Google should release another phone right around whenever I am looking for an update that will be the best on the market at that time. We shall see! Sticking with Verizon though!!

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    It is Android with Amazon's extras on top of it. Just like the Galaxy S4 and rest of that series use Android, but with their own special touches. It is still based on Android.

I am very impressed with Amazon as a company on pretty much every level. They seem to be above the curve in every industry that they join. Their customer service is beyond exceptional. Seriously, if you ever have a problem with anything Amazon related they fix it. As for this phone, it looks pretty badass. I imagine that their competitors will see it and try to one up it ASAP. Right now I am on a Galaxy S4 and before that I had a Motorola Droid Bionic. If all goes according to plan, Google should release another phone right around whenever I am looking for an update that will be the best on the market at that time. We shall see! Sticking with Verizon though!!

Amazon is great. I ordered $16 Kcups and received some $200 phone headset instead. Called them and they told me to keep the headset , refunded $16 for Kcups, and shipped out replacement Kcups. And damn I love free 2 day shipping with Prime.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Amazon is great. I ordered $16 Kcups and received some $200 phone headset instead. Called them and they told me to keep the headset , refunded $16 for Kcups, and shipped out replacement Kcups. And damn I love free 2 day shipping with Prime.
    Same. I have spent entirely too much money on Amazon in the past two years. Prime is effing awesome! I have only had problems with orders twice and both time they have just overnighted me the item again instead of asking me to send it back or whatever.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Amazon is great but I think the lack of google maps and the google play store is a deal breaker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Amazon is great but I think the lack of google maps and the google play store is a deal breaker.

It's all part of the monopolistic approach in keeping the music, video, app business inside of Amazon. People will be suspect about this but will still buy the phone.

Another note, is if you do buy this phone, they are giving 1 year membership to Amazon Prime with the phone. This is a $99 value and awesome to get free 2 day shipping on almost everything. I use Prime almost exclusively for online shopping.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It's all part of the monopolistic approach in keeping the music, video, app business inside of Amazon. People will be suspect about this but will still buy the phone.

Another note, is if you do buy this phone, they are giving 1 year membership to Amazon Prime with the phone. This is a $99 value and awesome to get free 2 day shipping on almost everything. I use Prime almost exclusively for online shopping.

hell id almost switch just for that. +9 (or current math) to amazon being amazing. prime is a life saver when you run out of protein :)

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    hell id almost switch just for that. +9 (or current math) to amazon being amazing. prime is a life saver when you run out of protein :)

I use the hell out of it to get company tech parts in a pinch. $3.99 one day shipping and cheaper prices than CDW, Newegg most of the time.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    The company I work for religiously orders from CDW for one reason only... they have an open account with them. Idiots run this place.We literally spend close to a million dollars with them each year. Wanna guess what kind of a discount they give us? 2%.
    At least Grainger gives us a 3% discount.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I love amazon but wouldn't lock myself down on their software with a phone unless it was rooted. I just got the Amazon Fire TV and love it though. It's one of the few Smart TV boxes I can run Plex on to get my media server content. Amazon has been really doing great in the last few years with their innovation.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I love amazon but wouldn't lock myself down on their software with a phone unless it was rooted. I just got the Amazon Fire TV and love it though. It's one of the few Smart TV boxes I can run Plex on to get my media server content. Amazon has been really doing great in the last few years with their innovation.
    How does it compare to Chromecast in your opinion chad?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Has anyone tried the LG Flex ? The screen is supposedly bendable

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA

can't you just download and install those apps yourself? Is was said it was android., so why not?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    can't you just download and install those apps yourself?

I am thinking amazon will have their own versions but I'm just guessing. I'm sure the apps already purchased will not transfer to amazon

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    can't you just download and install those apps yourself? Is was said it was android., so why not?

If they don't have the Google App (Play) store and they have some basic app control (blocking) setup, it will be somewhat difficult to to put the aforementioned apps on the phone.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Well if I could not use my already purchased apps on my new Amazon phone that would be a deal breaker for sure. I bet they add that capability soon enough when people find out and complain about this "oversight" on Amazon's part.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom