The not popular 10mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a 3 gen mod 20. I noticed that they don't have a high cap mag for it but do have a 40cal one. Will the 40cal high cap. work for 10 mm also

The 10 mm round is approximately .125 longer than a .40 round of the same type.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    im running a stock lone wolf 9x25 barrel in my G20 olive drab. A lone wolf 10mm, external ported in my g20 Black frame, & a lone wolf 9x25 stock length barrel in my G29.

All of them run EBAY shock buff. I haven't had an issue with them. I cannot say if they have reduced felt recoil, but they haven't hurt anything..

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    I don't get the people who say it recoils too much. Heck a .45 pushes just about as hard, except the 10mm seems to be bit ....oh I don't know what to call it, faster? The recoil from my .45 is more drawn out.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    My S&W 4586 kicks more than my Glock 20. It does not matter as I am able to shoot excellent double taps with both. I have to agree that the .45 kicks more.

gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    Even without switching barrels.. You can load 40s&w in the Glock 20 mag and they will chamber and shoot fine. I've been reading plenty on this. Why do it? Because in an emergency you can grab a box of 40 and it will work. The round is just a little shorter.

Also.. Its kinda like the 38spcl/357mag package.

People don't ask "why didn't you just buy a 38spcl if that's what you're gonna shoot?". One can shoot the SFC to SFC missle when they need to or drop to the 40short and weak if they want to shoot light. ;)

I keep hoping the SEAL team decides to use a 10mm as a special weapon... That would end the low 10mm handgun sales. Haha!

Huh? Doesn't the 10mm headspace on the neck? I wouldn't think a .40 cal would even get the primer touched by the firing pin, it should slide too far forward in the chamber. Unless you're shooting them in a revolver with moon clips I would think it's impossible.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    The 40S&W although shorter by an 1/8" can be held buy the extractor hook firm enough to be fired in many 10mm guns. The drawback is the carbon/soot fouling can keep the full length 10mm cases from chambering without a good cleaning. Also bullets be further back in the chamber can shave off bullet materials as it is shot past the end of the chamber cut, this can also cause accuracy problems and chambering issues if switching to the 10mm cartridge without a good inspection and cleaning. There is always a chance the firing pin or striker can push the casing off the extractor hook to be left in the chamber, "tap & rack" will not clear this because the cartridge is not captured by the extractor, the gun will need to be tilted upward and then turn over to let the cartridge fall free from the chamber. BTW this does not work for a revolver chambered for 10mm unless the cylinder is cut to accept moon clips to hold the cartridges firmly.

Therefore after you understand the issues, yes the 40S&W cartridge can be fired from a 10mm chambered semi auto gun. In most cases it does so without any issues.

The 10mm if it has a flaw, it has to be that the ejected brass can achieve low earth orbit never to return! :eek3:
    I think the guys on the International Space Station have observed 10mm brass going by their windows! :doh:

ISS10mmWarning_zpsfa6647f2.jpg

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    "The Force" was actually a 10mm loaded into the fuselage of Luke Skywalker's T-65 X Wing fighter. Luke used the Force, and we all know what happened to the Death Star next.

Just saying, 10mm vs Death Star, 10mm wins.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    A which do you own poll taken earlier on Bayou Shooter.

9mm
    217 85.10%

117 45.88%

.45 ACP
    166 65.10%

.357 SIG
    18 7.06%

10mm
    17 6.67%

One advantage of the 10mm round is availability. Even with the "Obama gun/bullet" scares I bet the supply was available. Other more popular calibers dried up and up went the prices. From what I have read it has peaked my interest.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Anyone in the NOLA/Metairie area got a Glock20SF I can try out? Espc if you got some hot loaded 200gr rounds. I'll meet you at the range and will pay for everything. The 44 mag is just too heavy for me to carry and I really want to try the 10mm again as its been years and I've forgot how it handles.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The Tunguska Event, in Siberia 1908, was an early Russian attempt at wildcatting a 10mm cartridge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

You don't even have to carry a 10mm to put down bad guys, just pull a flap from a box of 10mm out of your pocket and the BG falls dead instantly.

Chuck Norris' first BB gun as a child was a 10mm Red Ryder.

Top Bottom