The Romanticism of Firearms from Movies

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    https://bayoushooter.com/account/

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!​

Feb 14, 20104,25283Slidell
    However, his love for the stainless MK2 is based on the stno different than the romanticism surrounding the good ole GI 1911 .45ACP.
    The 1911 was Americas sidearm for the best part of a century and was fielded in many wars, is the reason the 45 auto cartridge exists and is a great design by a well revered gun designer and gun company.

The mk 2 is difficult to reassemble and well.... it shoots 22lr.

these 2 are not the same.

I get the love for movie prop guns, I would love to have a working robocop gun or blades modded mac12 but comparing the ruger mk2 to the 1911 is a bit of a stretch.

And I looked up the naboo blaster, the elg3a. Does not have much more than a passing resemblance to a mk2 and was certainly not based on one. Unlike the sterling stormtrooper guns, whatever they were called.

The previous thread was closed, so I will clarify this here.
    Psychologically speaking, the Romanticism of a firearm or "blaster" from one movie is identical to the Romanticism of a firearm from another movie. The emotions experienced as a result are identical. That doesn't constitue any direct comparison between the different firearms nor does it mean that they are identical in nature, history, or popularity.
    For example, my Father carried a Colt 1911 in the Marines as a Combat Engineer during the Korean War. I saw the 1911 used in several war movies as a child and as a result I romanticized it so much that my Grandmother gave me a Colt Officers ACP 1911 while I was a teenager after I completed 3 different gun classes at St Bernard Indoor Shooting Center. I took good care of it and only removed it from my room to go to the range. If I had romanticized the Ruger MK2 instead of the 1911, I would have received one of those instead, and the emotions would have been identical.
    In other words, the love of one firearm is emotionally identical to the love of a totally different firearm.
    My previous attempt to explain this was completely misunderstood. I hope this second attempt is understood.

Attachments

• 1714895122054.gif
      1714895122054.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 27
    • 1714895122183.gif
      1714895122183.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 29
    • 1714895122317.gif
      1714895122317.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 19
    • 1714895122440.gif
      1714895122440.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 18
    • 1714895122574.gif
      1714895122574.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 16
    • 1714895122700.gif
      1714895122700.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 15
    • 1714895122833.gif
      1714895122833.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 14
    • 1714895122962.gif
      1714895122962.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 17
    • 1714895123108.gif
      1714895123108.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 16
    • 1714895123431.gif
      1714895123431.gif
      42 bytes · Views: 29

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would have to disagree, as everyone experiences emotions in a different way, the emotion one person feels about something can and will be completely different to anther persons emotional feelings.

So it becomes pointless to try to compare peoples emotions, especially once the object of said emotions is changes.

I stand by my point, and find the attempt to sway opinion to be pointless at best.

The kid in the other thread likely does not qualify the scrutiny of the 4473, and thus would not be able to buy a gun. The fact he has emotionally attached some sort of loose comparison between the gun he wants and a movie prop does not really matter.

Comparing the "romanticism" that the 1911 enjoys to the way this certain person feels about the naboo blaster and (honestly nonexistent likeness of) the ruger mark 2 is silly.

the 1911 is a well established platform that served many wars etc, and the ruger mark 2 is a 22lr that has a vaguely or less similar look to a completely non functional prop gun.

I'm fine about people getting wet about cool looking movie props, but it is a different thing to the actuality of a real weapon.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I reread your post again

"In other words, the love of one firearm is emotionally identical to the love of a totally different firearm."

For you yes, but for the rest of us, no. Or at least not necessarily.

And my "love" of any one gun can be different to another, whether I own it, have used it, or just saw it in a movie.

In other words, the same thing can mean different things to different people.

And I'm not sure where you were going with this, were you trying to normalize this kid's desires so that they did not seem so childish? His tone and verbiage suggested a less mature person, at least as I read it. He was certainly stuck on the "blaster" and had decided the mark 2 stainless would be a suitable substitute.

I think he would be best with an inactive faithful repro of the naboo blaster, and all get the rest of the costume so he could cosplay as Princess Amidala.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would have to disagree, as everyone experiences emotions in a different way, the emotion one person feels about something can and will be completely different to anther persons emotional feelings.

So it becomes pointless to try to compare peoples emotions, especially once the object of said emotions is changes.

I stand by my point, and find the attempt to sway opinion to be pointless at best.

The kid in the other thread likely does not qualify the scrutiny of the 4473, and thus would not be able to buy a gun. The fact he has emotionally attached some sort of loose comparison between the gun he wants and a movie prop does not really matter.

Comparing the "romanticism" that the 1911 enjoys to the way this certain person feels about the naboo blaster and (honestly nonexistent likeness of) the ruger mark 2 is silly.

the 1911 is a well established platform that served many wars etc, and the ruger mark 2 is a 22lr that has a vaguely or less similar look to a completely non functional prop gun.

I'm fine about people getting wet about cool looking movie props, but it is a different thing to the actuality of a real weapon.

While the 1911 is a well established platform that served many wars, a lot of young people did not carry one in any wars they may have been in. For many people, the 1911 is a cool firearm from a video game. I believe the 1911 is in almost every Call of Duty version. So while you may have a "love" of the 1911 due to nostalgia and history, plenty of others may "love" the 1911 because it's one of their Call of Duty guns. The feeling of one group does not negate the feelings of another group.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I reread your post again

"In other words, the love of one firearm is emotionally identical to the love of a totally different firearm."

For you yes, but for the rest of us, no. Or at least not necessarily.

And my "love" of any one gun can be different to another, whether I own it, have used it, or just saw it in a movie.

In other words, the same thing can mean different things to different people.

And I'm not sure where you were going with this, were you trying to normalize this kid's desires so that they did not seem so childish? His tone and verbiage suggested a less mature person, at least as I read it. He was certainly stuck on the "blaster" and had decided the mark 2 stainless would be a suitable substitute.

I think he would be best with an inactive faithful repro of the naboo blaster, and all get the rest of the costume so he could cosplay as Princess Amidala.

I would suggest you aren't able to speak for "the rest of us." While the guy's tone and verbiage may have suggested a less mature person, must one be less mature to have a desire to build or buy a functional weapon based on a movie gun? I once built a 22lr pistol on the ar15 platform. I still have it. It's fun to shoot and reminds me on han solo's blaster. Does that make me less mature? Is it possible for a rational, mature individual to have a desire to combine real weapons with movie weapons?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    "The feeling of one group does not negate the feelings of another group."

I completely agree with you. But feelings are different between different people.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would suggest you aren't able to speak for "the rest of us." While the guy's tone and verbiage may have suggested a less mature person, must one be less mature to have a desire to build or buy a functional weapon based on a movie gun? I once built a 22lr pistol on the ar15 platform. I still have it. It's fun to shoot and reminds me on han solo's blaster. Does that make me less mature? Is it possible for a rational, mature individual to have a desire to combine real weapons with movie weapons?

You may be taking my post the wrong way.

I can only speak for myself.

But to say feelings are the same between people is absurd.

Im not saying that maturity is the only reason a person should be denied gun ownership, but it certainly matters. Mental health is a cause for concern...

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

Im not saying that maturity is the only reason a person should be denied gun ownership, but it certainly matters. Mental health is a cause for concern...
    As you might recall on the other thread, I finally agreed that the OP should not be allowed to purchase a firearm or use one unsupervised. After that, I merely tried to clarify an earlier point that you responded to. Your viewpoint and responses are welcome and I have enjoyed this discussion.
    On another note, I initially didn't appreciate the Marine Corps switching to the Beretta M9, which happened before I entered the Marines, it later grew on me between the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon films, and most of all carrying it on Armory Duty and training with it.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    True, the m9 did seem like a downgrade from the 1911. However it seems to have been received well. The m9 would not be my 1st choice for a backup carried sidearm. Too big and heavy for capacity, and I do not shoot it any better than say a g17, which is lighter and slimmer. But that is just me, I know plenty of people who do not get along well with glocks and would rather a Beretta or Sig metal framed gun. Stick with what works for you and your situation!

I have examples of all of the above, and the Beretta was one of my first 9mm guns. So it certainly checks the box for nostalgia. I am not a video game player, I lack the capability or attention span. Not sure why I originally wanted the Beretta, probably some sort of "if its Italian it must be good" concept from my late teens. Likely a poor way to judge anything, but like everyone else I am not immune to having my emotions swayed! Pretty sure I own Desert Eagles because of some 80s or 90s action movies. I kept them for other reasons.

I have also enjoyed the discussion, as it has touched upon things that are not usually brought to light.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

That's pretty cool! It also reminds me of how AR's were used to build Rebel Commando blasters in Return of the Jedi.
    I have met a handful of Han Solo cosplayers who actually obtained non-functional C-96 parts guns and turned them into very convincing props. Most of the Solo or Rebel cosplayers start with a C-96 airsoft or a hand painted resin kit.
    I used to spend time with 501st members in Clarksville TN while visiting family there. Half of the members there are into guns and they have an annual "Put down that blaster and pick up a firearm" day at the range which is always a blast. One of the members has a semi-auto Sterling pistol that he and others fired while wearing Stormtrooper helmets!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "The feeling of one group does not negate the feelings of another group."

I completely agree with you. But feelings are different between different people.

He did say "the same" but I guess I felt the meaning of his words were more important than the literal interpretation. Your excitement for having a 1911 was not exactly the same as someone's excitement for having the same weapon but for a different reason. But both people could feel the same or equivalent culmination of built up anticipation even if the underlying motivation were vastly different.

Top Bottom