They hate us for our occupation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/10/12/terrorism/index.html

In 2004, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld commissioned a task force to study what causes Terrorism, and it concluded that "Muslims do not 'hate our freedom,' but rather, they hate our policies": specifically, "American direct intervention in the Muslim world" through our "one sided support in favor of Israel"; support for Islamic tyrannies in places like Egypt and Saudi Arabia; and, most of all, "the American occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan" (the full report is here). Now, a new, comprehensive study from Robert Pape, a University of Chicago political science professor and former Air Force lecturer, substantiates what is (a) already bleedingly obvious and (b) known to the U.S. Government for many years: namely, that the prime cause of suicide bombings is not Hatred of Our Freedoms or Inherent Violence in Islamic Culture or a Desire for Worldwide Sharia Rule by Caliphate, but rather. . . . foreign military occupations. As summarized by Politico's Laura Rozen:

Pape. . . will present findings on Capitol Hill Tuesday that argue that the majority of suicide terrorism around the world since 1980 has had a common cause: military occupation.

Pape and his team of researchers draw on data produced by a six-year study of suicide terrorist attacks around the world that was partially funded by the Defense Department's Defense Threat Reduction Agency. They have compiled the terrorism statistics in a publicly available database comprised of some 10,000 records on some 2,200 suicide terrorism attacks, dating back to the first suicide terrorism attack of modern times - the 1983 truck bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon, that killed 241 U.S. Marines.

"We have lots of evidence now that when you put the foreign military presence in, it triggers suicide terrorism campaigns, ... and that when the foreign forces leave, it takes away almost 100% of the terrorist campaign," Pape said in an interview last week on his findings.

Pape said there has been a dramatic spike in suicide bombings in Afghanistan since U.S. forces began to expand their presence to the south and east of the country in 2006. . . . Deaths due to suicide attacks in Afghanistan have gone up by a third in the year since President Obama added another 30,000 U.S. troops. "It is not making it any better," Pape said.

Pape believes his findings have important implications even for countries where the U.S. does not have a significant direct military presence, but is perceived by the population to be indirectly occupying.

For instance, across the border from Afghanistan, suicide terrorism exploded in Pakistan in 2006 as the U.S. put pressure on then Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf "to divert 100,000 Pakistani army troops from their [perceived] main threat [India] to western Pakistan," Pape said.

Imagine that. Isn't Muslim culture just so bizarre, primitive, and inscrutable? As strange as it is, they actually seem to dislike it when foreign militaries bomb, invade and occupy their countries, and Western powers interfere in their internal affairs by overthrowing and covertly manipulating their governments, imposing sanctions that kill hundreds of thousands of Muslim children, and arming their enemies. Therefore (of course), the solution to Terrorism is to interfere more in their countries by continuing to occupy, bomb, invade, assassinate, lawlessly imprison and control them, because that's the only way we can Stay Safe. There are people over there who are angry at us for what we're doing in their world, so we need to do much more of it to eradicate the anger. That's the core logic of the War on Terror. How is that working out?

Akbar Ahmed, the Chair of Islamic Studies at American University, was on Bloggingheads TV yesterday with Robert Wright discussing convicted attempted Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad, and said this:

Take the case of Faisal Shahzad. He seems to be, if you put him in a category . . . he grows up with the reputation of being a party guy, a party boy in the tribal areas [in Pakistan]. . . . He then comes to America and all the pictures are of a modern young man. . . . He changes, but he changes, again, for interesting reasons. The media would have us believe that it's the violence in the Koran and the religion of Islam. But hear what he's saying. He's in fact saying: I am taking revenge for the drone strikes in the tribal areas. So he's acting more like a tribesman whose involvement in Pashtun values . . . one of the primary features of that is revenge, rather then saying I'm going to have a jihad or I've been trained by literalists . . . .

That is confirmed by mountains of evidence not only about what motivated Shahzad but most anti-American Terrorists as well: severe anger over the violence and interference the U.S. brings to their part of the world. The only caveat I'd add to Professor Ahmed's remarks is that a desire to exact vengeance for foreign killings on your soil is hardly a unique attribute of Pashtun culture. It's fairly universal. See, for instance, the furious American response to the one-day attack on 9/11 -- still going strong even after 9 years. As Professor Pape documents: "when you put the foreign military presence in, it triggers suicide terrorism campaigns . . . and that when the foreign forces leave, it takes away almost 100% of the terrorist campaign." It hardly takes a genius to figure out the most effective way of reducing anti-American Terrorism; the only question is whether that's the actual goal of those in power.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Robert Pape isn’t a good researcher. When researching any problem, one must be very careful with the cause/effect relationship. Rudimentarily research would show that islam has been at war with the world for centuries

The problem is
    Robert Pape doesn’t understand islam

Islam is a social/political/legal system that muzzies must follow or be stoned/beheaded/whatever

Muzzies see their poverty but can’t understand why allah’s children would be in such a condition compared to the relative wealth of infidels

High unemployment, poverty and a bleak future for improvement are all that’s needed for local imams to preach jihad against the infidel. Jihad is called for in the koran and the haditha.

For a muzzie, to die fighing jihad is a guaranteed trip to heaven

The truth is, muzzies fight and die for allah.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Robert Pape isn’t a good researcher. When researching any problem, one must be very careful with the cause/effect relationship. Rudimentarily research would show that islam has been at war with the world for centuries

The problem is

Islam is a social/political/legal system that muzzies must follow or be stoned/beheaded/whatever

Muzzies see their poverty but can’t understand why allah’s children would be in such a condition compared to the relative wealth of infidels

High unemployment, poverty and a bleak future for improvement are all that’s needed for local imams to preach jihad against the infidel. Jihad is called for in the koran and the haditha.

Imam on vacation, spendin the mosk funds...little does the flock know that their revered leader is a cross dressin homo...and I do say that in luv fellers

attachment.php

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Cool! Any Supporting Evidence?

The problem is

If you could, please provide us with objective evidence you've gathered via the Scientific Method that warrants your conclusions.

Thanks in advance. :)

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Mjolnir

I’ve studied islam for quite a few years now, both the koran and the haditha. I can provide volumes of supporting documents about islam if you’re really interested.

I suspect your comment has nothing to do with islam or my post.

Do you consider yourself agnostic, atheist or something along those lines? I think so.
    I suspect your approach is an attempt to lessen Christianity by up-lifting islam
    You will also attempt to equate Christianity with Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinto, etc…
    Am I right? I think so.

And yes, I have studied Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinto, and a few others as well

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If you could, please provide us with objective evidence you've gathered via the Scientific Method that warrants your conclusions.

Thanks in advance. :)

As if ANYONE here has EVER done that to include yourself :rolleyes:

I find it to work the opposite on the net. Providing the opposite of what the claimer is posting, not asking to provide proof. meh, don't really care....

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mjolnir

I’ve studied islam for quite a few years now, both the koran and the haditha. I can provide volumes of supporting documents about islam if you’re really interested.

I suspect your comment has nothing to do with islam or my post.

Do you consider yourself agnostic, atheist or something along those lines? I think so.
    I suspect your approach is an attempt to lessen Christianity by up-lifting islam
    You will also attempt to equate Christianity with Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinto, etc…

Am I right? I think so.

And yes, I have studied Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shinto, and a few others as well

I honestly ask because I lived amongst Chaldeans, Lebanese and Syrians for 15 yrs in the Detroit Metro Area. I, too, studied the Koran. I used to debate a couple of Lebanese Muslims and a Ashkenazim (so-called Jew) every Saturday. They were all more or less "anti-Christian" with the jew being hardcore anti-Christian, of course. So I began to study. Eventually, I was able to reach the Muslims but never the Jew.

I'm not agnostic, nor atheist. I am a Christian but not your "God shall smite you" JUDEO-CHRISTIAN. If you studied Islam you'd see very strong similarities. If you know the culture of the peoples of the area you can extract their cultural beliefs from what God instructed. If you can do that you will see that Christianity and Islam are the same. Allah is God's name according to the Arabs. Akhenaton, the man who is recorded to have "given us" MONOTHEISM said that God's name was Aton. I'm certain that God is known by MANY names. Mohammed was a prophet not a God. But you know this. Others here don't.

I will not attempt to "lessen Christianity". I posit that most don't recognize true Christianity. We do have a helluva lot of dogma intertwined with two opposing cultures - Judaism and Christianity (whomever they are - inside joke).

There are strong similarities with some of the teachings of Christianity, Buddhism and Islam. There are some strong differences, particularly dogma and culture, too, that has kept them from uniting - or perhaps more correctly, kept them apart.

So, "no", you're not correct in your assessment/assumptions about me.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As if ANYONE here has EVER done that to include yourself :rolleyes:

I find it to work the opposite on the net. Providing the opposite of what the claimer is posting, not asking to provide proof. meh, don't really care....

Yes, it applies to me, too. Many here have inadequate backgrounds (yes, I've said it) to comment in the affirmative about what I prefer to discuss. It requires a lot to have a meaningful opinion. That does not prevent one from having/developing an opinion, however.

Also, read carefully and you'll see I never asked for "proof" I asked for evidence. A world of difference. I'll "prove" it to myself as I can read what he has read. I've had my experiences which are unique - as are his.

Not pointing at you, hitman, but there are some unlearned people here (they are truly everywhere) who don't wish to effort at study. But they demand to be heard and criticise those who don't share their opinion. I am unlearned in many areas (as we all are) and I'll not stomp into a debate where I'm totally clueless demanding to be heard. I will, however, ask more and more pointed questions looking for sound logic all the while considering possibilities. This trait is not common. So critique me if you will. Suffice it to say I place a significangly higher value on knowledge than firearms (merely a common interest we all share to a greater or lesser extent).

No hurt, no foul, brother.

Top Bottom