Thinking about buying a diesel car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    I didn't want to hijack the Volt thread but all of the discussion of the TDI mileage has gotten me interested. I have never owned or known anyone who has owned a diesel auto. I had no idea that a VW TDI returned that kind of mileage. I don't buy new cars often - prefer to buy used. With the exception of a Ford Explorer bought from a dealers used car lot a few years ago I have been very pleased with buying used.

For those of you who own a TDI or are knowledgeable, a few questions:

Are there any better or bad years for VW TDI?

I know enough about gas power autos that I feel somewhat comfortable in buying used. Any secrets to share when buying a used diesel?

Last, what is the biggest downside, besides fuel cost, of diesel ownership.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    I give you my opinion based on my experiences. I bought mine new in March of 2011. It is the Jetta Sedan TDI with the DSG transmission. So far 52K miles without any issues. Hope and expect to get at least a couple hundred thousand or more out of it.

Are there any better or bad years for VW TDI?
    Go look and do some research on a couple of websites. One is www.tdiclub.com and another is www.myturbodiesel.com Lots of great information there. There were a couple of years with certain engine types that had higher than normal failure rates. Also, there have been a few (relative to the number sold) cases of the high pressure fuel pumps on the 2.0 liter common rail diesels failing. Pretty expensive repair bill if it does. You can also find a LOT of information on this on those two websites. I don't let it worry me, I drive it and have fun.

I know enough about gas power autos that I feel somewhat comfortable in buying used. Any secrets to share when buying a used diesel?
    Can't really help you there except look for one that has had all of it's required maintenance done, documented if possible. If it has more than 100K on it, make sure the timing belt, water pump and associated pulleys have been changed. The belt is required to be changed around that mileage. Breaking that belt does all kinds of serious damage to these engines.

Last, what is the biggest downside, besides fuel cost, of diesel ownership.
    Maintenance costs are a little higher. Oil change every 10K miles if I do the work is about $55. But it requires special low ash oil for the 09's and newer. I order my oil and filters online. Saves me money.
    If you go with the DSG transmission (like an automatic), the service required every 40K miles is about $400 at the dealership, materials are about $150, but you need to build or buy a special tool to refill the trans oil. I built mine for about $50, buying it is about $250. Mine works just a good if not better, but I am biased. Fuel filter is about $20 every 20K miles.

Just a side note, all maintenance is included in the price if you buy new. First three oil changes, and all filter changes. Worth at least a couple hundred bucks in parts. Each of those services cost between $125 and $240 at the dealership.

If you really want to be able to work on it your self, then you need to have the VCDS software and cable. It is $249, unless you find someone local who will let/help you use theirs.
    When I was deciding to buy mine, I used 40K miles a year (what I was driving then) and 42mpg for the diesel and 30mpg for a gas burner. The diesel was still more economical even when using $.50 per gallon difference in the fuel cost.
    All that said and done, the diesel is just a lot of fun to drive too. Reaches it's peak torque at about 1800 rpm and maintains that level up to about 3500 rpm. Red line on the newer ones is 5100 rpms. So it isn't some sluggish slow vehicle. And I get pretty consistent real world mpg figures from 42-46 average depending on the drive.
    Good luck with you search!

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I used to own an older vw jetta. If I remember correctly it was an 02. Kept it for just over 2 years while I was traveling ALOT!!!! Average 3k miles a week. Only issue i ever had was a new battery at around 90K miles. Oil changes were a bit more expensive but never noticed it because I was getting 45mpg. Bought it used from the VW dealer on Veterans. I really miss the car and wish it was as big as my wifes avalon. If that were the case that is what we would be driving. Just to small for a family.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had an 03 tdi Jetta and loved it. Biggest thing is to be ready for the timing belt change hit to the wallet every 120k or so I believe. If memory serves its like a $600-700 job. Other than that those cars are awesome. Would own again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    My take on your post ,I bought a new 2009 Jetta Sportswagon . One of the first made after they stopped making them in 2007 because the U,S. Gov. Sail the older TDI was not up to par for the new lower sulfur diesel . So they were out of production for 1 year due to new standards the EPA set in the U.S. My understanding is the older one have to use a additive to the fuel ,you can check that out on Freds TDI club as presented in an above post.
    I had to go to Pensacola ,Fl . to purchase mine as a dealer in Louisiana wanted me to put down a $500 dollar deposit to await the arrival of the new cars being produced . I went on ebay and found Pete Moore V/W in Pensacola had just what I was looking for.
    To the point I have 52000 miles on mine and the dealer is always asking me to trade it in on a newer model as there is much demand for my model . At 50 mpg even with disel up in price I would not depart with the car . I go on line and there are videos for preforming routine maint. such as oil change at 10,000 miles and you must use V/W oil @ 10 -12 dollars a quart or I found a V/W compatible oil on Freds TDI club which includes the oil, Mann filter and drain plug which is suppose to be changed also at the saME time. My first 3 oil changes were free from V/W . The transmission oil has to be changes at 40,000 miles . It is somewhat harder to do as the oil has to be vacuumed out ,. No dipstick for transmission and no drain plug . My understanding this is common for European cars . I paid 26000 for my car in Pensacola and am very satisfied with the overall performance of this car .

I have given a large amount of information and I am not a dealer and I can't receive any thing from any one . I hope you find what you are looking for in a diesel car .

BTW ; I just bought an older Ford 6.9 diesel to experiment with using used French fry grease that I collect from a friends restaurant. I am nearly ready to start that after doing a lot of reading on the net . I don't see oil prices coming down to a friendly level in the near future. Again good luck to you

Last edited:

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks Brian22 and jms. I have since spoken with two people who have had similar experiences as those of everyone here. Looks like I may need to make the plunge into the diesel world.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Only real issue I ever had with VW were the electrical problems. The ignition was bad
    on my 2000.5 jetta 1.8t and it took out my a/c compressor. How, I have no clue. Ever since that I had electrical codes being thrown left and right. I got a vag con to check and clear codes since the dealership wanted $60, then $90 a pop to clear them.

I had the normal beeswax leaking out the doors, windows falling into the door pocket randomly and coil pack going out throwing the car into limp mode, if those were the only issues I would have kept the car, however I traded it in on the last day of the waranty. Atleast they gave you another car to drive when they had yours.

TDI's are amazing, it is just sometimes the car around it may have VW gremlins living in it.

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    .......... VW gremlins living in it.

This is the reputation of VW that I am familiar with - I dated a girl back in the 70's who had a beetle that was constantly in he shop. Air cooled gas motor back then but more than its share of electrical issues.

Top Bottom