This is interesting.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I stumbled across this today through an email I received from Bladetech. It is the first time I have seen this product. Basically it is a reflex/dot sight quick detach mount that will fit on almost any pistol with a rail, looks to be interchangable between several different guns, and they even have a universal holster for guns with the mount attached. Here is the link to their website.

http://www.umtactical.com/

What impressed me is the ability to use this system on more than one pistol if desired and the ability to quickly change guns, or take it off all together in just a few seconds. I notced on the site that they offer Burris Fastfire III and JPoints. I am not at all familiar with either of those optics. Anyone have any infomation on the quality / reliability of these?

I assume that a larger dot (8 MOA) would be better suited for pistol shooting?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I stumbled across this today through an email I received from Bladetech. It is the first time I have seen this product. Basically it is a reflex/dot sight quick detach mount that will fit on almost any pistol with a rail, looks to be interchangable between several different guns, and they even have a universal holster for guns with the mount attached. Here is the link to their website.

http://www.umtactical.com/

What impressed me is the ability to use this system on more than one pistol if desired and the ability to quickly change guns, or take it off all together in just a few seconds. I notced on the site that they offer Burris Fastfire III and JPoints. I am not at all familiar with either of those optics. Anyone have any infomation on the quality / reliability of these?

I assume that a larger dot (8 MOA) would be better suited for pistol shooting?

That's similar to one that is available for Walthers (supprised it's not on their list as well -- but is in the Graphic. hmmm.)... The problem everyone always brings up with this type of mount is the hinderance on take down of the weapon. Especially when attempting to recover from a malfunction.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    That's similar to one that is available for Walthers (supprised it's not on their list as well -- but is in the Graphic. hmmm.)... The problem everyone always brings up with this type of mount is the hinderance on take down of the weapon. Especially when attempting to recover from a malfunction.

They do show it mounted on a Walther on the video also.

I personally wouldn't use this setup on my carry gun, it would be just to play at the range. I don't think the ability to clear a malfunction would be that big of a deal in that aspect. It just spiked my interest and thought that it would be fun, especially if you can switch the mount to several of your guns while shooting at a range session.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    ...Geez, I would have thought that someone would discuss this..Should have know better than to post gun related topics on BayouShooter :D

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Judging by their pictures, this wasn't designed for Concealed Carry. So clearing malfunctions like a tactical bearded speed freak was probably not of concern.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    They have a holster on the website that works with it. I think it's still limited to a competition or recreational gun.

I totally agree with that.

Does anyone have any input on the dot size for such an application? Am I correct in assuming (yeah, I said it) that a larger dot, such as 8MOA would be better for a pistol reticle? How about any experience with the Burris Fastfire III? Is it worth a darn or would a Jpoint, Cmore, Trijicon, etc. be a better option?

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I totally agree with that.

Does anyone have any input on the dot size for such an application? Am I correct in assuming (yeah, I said it) that a larger dot, such as 8MOA would be better for a pistol reticle? How about any experience with the Burris Fastfire III? Is it worth a darn or would a Jpoint, Cmore, Trijicon, etc. be a better option?

I've used up to a 12 moa dot cmore on a pistol. The 8 range is probably the best balance. My favorite of the small sights is the Trijicon RMR. I like the size of the Delta point. The glass is big and clear but its stupid triangle dot is distracting to me. You'll find with a mount like that one, that finding the dot is very difficult with speed and movement. It takes a lot of repetition. A dot that is milled into the slide is much more intuitive and quick to learn.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I've used up to a 12 moa dot cmore on a pistol. The 8 range is probably the best balance. My favorite of the small sights is the Trijicon RMR. I like the size of the Delta point. The glass is big and clear but its stupid triangle dot is distracting to me. You'll find with a mount like that one, that finding the dot is very difficult with speed and movement. It takes a lot of repetition. A dot that is milled into the slide is much more intuitive and quick to learn.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have only shot one pistol before with a Delta Point, which was my only time ever shooting with a dot on a pistol. It did have the slide milled and I did notice it to be difficult for me to pick up the dot being I was not used to that.

I thought about giving this setup a try to avoid milling the slide, and to be able to try it on several different guns to see if I like it. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it or not.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I have a 8MOA FastFire III and the older FastFire II but are on long guns.
    So far I like the III. It has selectable Hi-Mid-Low and AUTO modes for brightness.
    I use it on top of a magnified optic on an AR.
    No experiece with either on a handgun.

Top Bottom