This Year's Hurricane Readiness Project

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I test ran my generator over the weekend and realized just how loud it really is. I guess last time it ran, there were plenty of other generators making the same noise so it was not as noticable. So, I decided to make a sound buffering box to help reduce the sound. I ordered some 1/2" OSB sheets and 1/2" sound board from HD to build a box. After making many correct cuts (and two wrong ones), I got the box built. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures when it was assembled.

I marked out the access panels to be cut to allow for access to the electrical hook-ups and for the exhaust but did not remove them yet. I ran it for less than a minute just to listen to the difference in sound and it did make a big difference. But, that Briggs and Stratton will never be mistaken for a Honda.

Does anyone have something similar used to reduce the noise?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Do you have pics of the finished product? Did you leave enough holes for ventilation?

My parents installed one at their house that is currently under construction, they call it the "power plant". It's surrounded on four sides by cinderblock with an opening the size of a door to access everything inside and nothing above. I want to say there's solar panel stuff in there as well as water filtration systems.

It's more or less a building than a box, but it does the same thing.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    RSC: No finished pics yet since it's still a work in progress. I marked out the hinged doors that will allow access to the internals. I will have to do another test run when he doors are cut. I think that I may have to put a vent near the air intake or possibly install a forced air fan of some kind.

DTM: you are right. It keeps in a LOT of heat. That will be one of my concerns that will have to flushed out by trial. I definitely would not use it until I proved out the concept.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Oh yea, one of the requirements is that I can disassemble for storage. Right now, it can be stored flat on op of the generator and put together with only 8-12 screws.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It seems like a decent idea in concept, but it seems by blocking the sound you will also be blocking the ability for the exhaust to get out and for fresh air to go in. Have you looked to see if they make better mufflers for the generator?

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Where Y'at Geauxfish, The heat can and will Kill your oil, then your engine. The heat in my buddy's generac cooked Mobil 1. I would look at a larger muffler with same size exhaust size outlet. It may take a little doing on a Briggs.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I've just put mine in the shed and let the exhaust fan on with the window open its far enough away that I don't have to hear much of it at all especially if I have the 110 unit running.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I put mine on the back side of my garage and build a two sided box (4' x 7') with a roof, leaving two side open for air and ventilation. The box doesn't make it quieter but does divert the sound away from the house.

I'd be careful trying to totally enclose it with just vent holes and such. Like AN said, it will get hot enough to cook the oil and seize the engine.

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will take a closer look at the exhause connection. Initially, it looked rather complicated by the existing spark arrester/exhaust. There was not a lot of room to work with even if i removed the factory component. I don't really want to extend the piping or use a large muffler since that will be a large hot part sticking out just begging for small (re: kids) hands to touch. If nothing else, I can leave off a side or two from my "box" to improve cooling and air intake. That would make it more of a deflector which would be at least some help.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Search this sub-forum carefully. There was a lengthy thread 2 or 3 years ago. Had good input from some members with experience. Good links, too. Included directions on safely fitting a portable with an automotive muffler that was so effective that the loudest noise you could hear was the chatter from the valves.

Also dealt with carburetor kits that will allow gasoline generators to burn propane or NATURAL GAS. Cheaper and easier on the motor. Burns cooler.

Last edited:

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=generator+shed

I installed a transfer switch for my generator last year and plan installing a generator shed like the ones in the above youtube videos.

Inside transfer switch:
    7a426446-833b-4ea3-98ee-17405968fb1f.jpg

Outside plug:
    3aa238c2-b884-450d-8976-8373f271ccbd.jpg

The junction box and line going down from plug was originally installed by a electrician that ran electricity from the house to my shed in the backyard. I replaced the junction box with a larger one to accommodate the generator wires and also expanded the hole in the wall.

Top Bottom