Thoughts From Those Who have BT;DT?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    It has been a long tradition of the military to train for the last war fought.

The other big problem is that the enemy doesn't attend our schools and learn how to fight the way we expect them to.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    We do a horrible job retaining and passing on lessons learned. We document and catalog them but most of the knowledge never gets passed on. Hence Afgjanistan has been a 1 year war fought 12 times rather than a 12 year war.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It has been a long tradition of the military to train for the last war fought.

The other big problem is that the enemy doesn't attend our schools and learn how to fight the way we expect them to.

You think it'll ever change? (I assume by the tone that you agree that it ought to be changed.)

ETA-- That's directed at everyone, of course-- not just Kraut or VG.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No because like all large institutions inertia is a mother... Fortunately Unit Leaders still have a great deal of control over how their units are prepared at all levels. The big hang up isn't rigid doctrine it's a lack of standards enforcement.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've thought about this a good bit too since being out too.

I started writing out what I thought and saw go on
    and figured 2 pages was probably too long so I shortened it :p

Here is what I think it revolves around.

-This is why it's hard to beat a salty NCO or SNCO’s that are forced(sometimes) to remain in a line company. Those experienced NCO/SNCO’s can teach more in school circles in the quad with broom sticks and on the range than all the major mandatory Battalion Movement Cold War crap.

I'd also don't think future Warfighters shoot nearly enough. In fact my time in the Corps must have been a blessing b/c since then I've talked to plenty Marines who shoot a lot, but still maybe half of what we shot during our workups. WE WENT THROUGH SOME ROUNDS! and we even were shooting F2S Drills on the back of our ship while underway just weeks before stepping in the Afghan Dirt. Our BN CO was serious about keeping us fresh. We also did a ton of other ******** he wanted us to as well
    lol Won't go there.

Maybe money is an issue more so now than in 03'-04'-05' time frame but I think rounds down range is vital and often over looked. Again maybe it's a money issue.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    That's pretty staggering to think that the greatest military in the world has such odd training fallacies.

It is at the same time very comforting to know that the S/NCO's (i.e. guys who know their crap) are still afforded enough control and "say" to keep their boys somewhat prepared-- or in Hitman's case, very prepared.

As to the money-- just how much of it are they spending on these ancient doctrinal courses? I suppose there's no budget-builders in this conversation, but... could we guesstimate?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That's pretty staggering to think that the greatest military in the world has such odd training fallacies.

It is at the same time very comforting to know that the S/NCO's (i.e. guys who know their crap) are still afforded enough control and "say" to keep their boys somewhat prepared-- or in Hitman's case, very prepared.

As to the money-- just how much of it are they spending on these ancient doctrinal courses? I suppose there's no budget-builders in this conversation, but... could we guesstimate?

I'm out the picture on money. Most of these courses though are on printed paper that has been printed for 50 years. Just sitting around in a warehouse until needed.

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I'm out the picture on money. Most of these courses though are on printed paper that has been printed for 50 years. Just sitting around in a warehouse until needed.

I'll PM you the rest of my post if you want. Just didn't want to stray too far off topic here.

Just post it. I'm sure a few of us would like the read.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom