Thoughts/opinions on a 7.62x39 ar??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    A friend of mine recently sent for an ar kit in 7.62x39... I am much more of an ak man and I know very little about ar's but the price is right ($469.00), but I would want it to be completely reliable and reasonably accurate. Can these be trusted? Are there any pros/cons that anyone knows about, besides the silly looking 30rd mags that is... Anyway, this is the link I was sent:

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=287

thanks for any input

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Personally, I think you get the WORST of both worlds. You have a gas DI system that fouls up faster and a round that is not as accurate at longer ranges. I have a few of each. For a real SHTF, I'd grab my AK.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    They don't work. KAC spent a bunch of money trying believe me. The failure of a working x39 AR helped spawn both the 6.8SPC and the SCAR.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I don't mean to sound smarmy but how hard do you use it? My expirence has been most DPMS stuff works for plinking but not under hard use conditions.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    well I'm not a soldier in the military, if that's what you mean. Otherwise I don't understand what you are asking by "how hard" ????

My 7.62x39 AR pistol has also always worked fine, just very loud.

But I've always cleaned the guns the same day I shot, etc...

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Colt made a 7.62x39 AR. everything i read about it, was good.

if you're going to build one, i've read that you have to get a good bolt for it, a modified firing pin, and possibly some stronger hammer springs.

this site sells uppers: http://www.ar15performance.com/7_62x39_rifles_and_uppers
    it's way more expensive than an AK, but just want to show you an option. Model 1 Sales, MGI, and DPMS all make uppers as well.

Rollin Coal

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Feb 13, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have a Bushmaster in 7.62x 39 and I love it. It has been totally reliable (never FTF or FTE). I have about 1500 rounds through it. Some people ask why would you want one 1 good reason is a while back when 223 was scarce 7.62x39 was still available. I went to Cabelas and bought some Tula and Wolf ammo and this gun eats anything I feed it. The only problem is finding mags. I just ordered 3 from 10-8 tactical that will be in this week. I keep it clean and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    ...part of the allure of Mekong Match is price/availability. I haven't been keeping up, but I strongly suspect that decent 7.62x51 ball is one hell of a lot more expensive than 7.62x39, these days.

Very true. Steel-cased X39 can be found for .20/round and the cheapest I've bought X51 is .70/round.

To me the AK is just a big boy's toy and fun/relatively cheap to play with. I had a ball shooting mine last weekend and if the AR was reliable I'd consider an upper.

I also had fun shooting the M1A. However, we spent about 300 rounds of X39 and only 30 rounds of the X51.

Top Bottom