Tips on wts posts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    so they wont be under the thread - as comments are turned off for WTS/WTB its just your posts in your thread. tho people will look at them they will PM you if they are interested in purchase.

time of day to "bump" your post is important too, want alot of traffic 3am isnt the time to do it. 4-6pm is good as it will be on the 1st-2nd page when most people are scrolling. i dont often go past the 3rd page ever.

seasonal item: you are gonna sell a deer rifle like a 30-30 must easier around deer season than in the dead of summer

cost: if you are selling something it may take time esp. if its a unique item. for ex. and no shade on the seller, there has been a 2019 staccato P on the site for over a year the guy is selling. is it a good gun, absolutely. but its a USED gun be it 1 shot or 1000 rounds down the pipe it is 2nd hand. and if you are asking the same price as a NEW of the same thing from a authorized vendor and put it as "save tax" by from me. id rather buy from the store wehre there is some sort of customer service if something isnt right or goes wrong.
    cost part2: you sell for retail price, say a glock in this example is $500 you want to sell used for $480 is $20 worth the difference ? any upgrades? so many members on here are able to get blue label pricing and thats not a police trade in. its also off a new gun. so that $500 retail becomes $349.99+tax

feedback: the whole it takes money to make money issue is here too. hopefully you get a bite and they they give you feedback, ive sold at least 3 guns on here they did not leave feedback for which sucks a gun on here is higher on priority for feedback than if i was looking at someones feed back that has 20+ and they are all cleaning patches - if that makes sense.

location: if you are in the middle of no where and not willing to travel to nearby town/meet halfway for item that might be a deal breaker for some, or in your case New Orleans, im not going there. hate the town but id meet you in laplace. or even keener or something that im not having to navigate tons of streets in a town im unfamilar with. Meeting places like a big landmark store (Cabelas/Bass Pro) are good meeting places and if you say that in your posts it helps to have the seller visualize them being able to get the item in question.

its sales, you need to be able to paint the picture give the buyer a visual of the item. PICTURES good detailed pictures are a must. im NEVER buying a gun from someone if its a stock internet picture "oh its a glock - here is a picture of a random glock" i want to see the exact glock im buying.

patience. if you are selling a niche firearm, someone who is wanting that firearm has to also be a member on here and looking to buy one. or.....using the above tools, a member on here and you make it a good deal and then they NEED it. :) it may take time. i wouldnt recommend this being the only online forum you use. there are some FB groups, snipershide, and more out there to cross post your items..you are fishing for a buyer - you can use 1 pole or a net. up to you.

good luck.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I took a quick look at what you have posted and I will use one as an example- the 10/22. I can get it for $459.99 at Academy ($436 if I use an Academy CC), so that's $505 with tax brand new. You have one priced at $475. Anyone who wanted one bad enough to pay $475 will likely have bought one for $505 even without a sale or "hot deal" because you are priced at retail.

The guys (me) who tend to buy things on a whim to plink with aren't going to be drawn in at retail. I bought one of those for my kid and nephew several years ago, and if I ran across one that was a really good deal, I would likely buy another to shoot with them. But I have never even considered buying one at retail since I have other .22s.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    cost: if you are selling something it may take time esp. if its a unique item. for ex. and no shade on the seller, there has been a 2019 staccato P on the site for over a year the guy is selling. is it a good gun, absolutely. but its a USED gun be it 1 shot or 1000 rounds down the pipe it is 2nd hand. and if you are asking the same price as a NEW of the same thing from a authorized vendor and put it as "save tax" by from me. id rather buy from the store wehre there is some sort of customer service if something isnt right or goes wrong.

A lot of people are "just trying to recover my costs." For the reasons above, that may not work. The moment an item is bought and the customer walks out of the store, the item is used. Unless someone has some way to prove "never been fired" than those are just words on the page. Unless a weapon has been shot enough to wear components out, 0 shots = 1 shot = 5 shots to zero it = 100 shots.

And it's nothing personal against you, after all, everyone started on here with 0 posts, but you are an unknown person with 7 posts (not counting any that you or a mod may have deleted). If your price is more than 80% of the retail price, why would I take a chance with an item whose history is unknown?

Let's say I saw your 10/22 Takedown ad and I was in the market for a 10/22 Takedown. You mention the box and a cleaning kit. I guess some people save the cardboard box for some reason. If I save anything, I'll cut off the spot with the serial number and save it. And I already have multiple cleaning kits. With no info on the included kit, that kits adds nothing to what I view as the value of the deal. So it's the rifle and case for $475. As was just pointed out as I was finishing this post, that's more expensive than retail. It's $450 at Academy and Cabela's (before tax). Even with adding tax, I know the condition of their rifles. And if needed, I know they will assist with some issues. There should be a pretty substantial price difference if you're asking someone to take a chance with an unknown person selling a gun in an unknown condition.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    so they wont be under the thread - as comments are turned off for WTS/WTB its just your posts in your thread. tho people will look at them they will PM you if they are interested in purchase.

time of day to "bump" your post is important too, want alot of traffic 3am isnt the time to do it. 4-6pm is good as it will be on the 1st-2nd page when most people are scrolling. i dont often go past the 3rd page ever.

seasonal item: you are gonna sell a deer rifle like a 30-30 must easier around deer season than in the dead of summer

cost part2: you sell for retail price, say a glock in this example is $500 you want to sell used for $480 is $20 worth the difference ? any upgrades? so many members on here are able to get blue label pricing and thats not a police trade in. its also off a new gun. so that $500 retail becomes $349.99+tax

feedback: the whole it takes money to make money issue is here too. hopefully you get a bite and they they give you feedback, ive sold at least 3 guns on here they did not leave feedback for which sucks a gun on here is higher on priority for feedback than if i was looking at someones feed back that has 20+ and they are all cleaning patches - if that makes sense.

location: if you are in the middle of no where and not willing to travel to nearby town/meet halfway for item that might be a deal breaker for some, or in your case New Orleans, im not going there. hate the town but id meet you in laplace. or even keener or something that im not having to navigate tons of streets in a town im unfamilar with. Meeting places like a big landmark store (Cabelas/Bass Pro) are good meeting places and if you say that in your posts it helps to have the seller visualize them being able to get the item in question.

its sales, you need to be able to paint the picture give the buyer a visual of the item. PICTURES good detailed pictures are a must. im NEVER buying a gun from someone if its a stock internet picture "oh its a glock - here is a picture of a random glock" i want to see the exact glock im buying.

patience. if you are selling a niche firearm, someone who is wanting that firearm has to also be a member on here and looking to buy one. or.....using the above tools, a member on here and you make it a good deal and then they NEED it. :) it may take time. i wouldnt recommend this being the only online forum you use. there are some FB groups, snipershide, and more out there to cross post your items..you are fishing for a buyer - you can use 1 pole or a net. up to you.

good luck.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I really appreciate the candor of the responses to this question - they demonstrate the honesty and willingness to promote sharing knowledge and experience on this fantastic website. Many thanks for your contribution to selfless fellowship.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I took another look at your listings as you have a couple things that always grab my interest. What turns me away from making an offer is seeing the location where the items are being photographed. A corrugated metal wall panel is shown in the takedown pics and a beat up concrete floor is shown in the ammo pics. Some shadows might indicate taking pics after dark but again, a total guess. Not knowing (how could we w/o your providing more info) it appears that the items could be living in an outdoor shed or storage unit. That'd be a deal breaker for me and many others here.

Hope this helps you understand who's here and what we're seeing.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Without looking at your ad, I'd like to address photos in general.

Best to take photos outside in the shade. Natural light gives the best contrast. Try for a neutral background, gray or beige, not white. Don't be afraid to get close-ups to better show the item. A cluttered background will just confuse the buyer and detract from what you are trying to sell.

If I were selling a scope I'd try to show it to best advantage, for example:

IMG_2908.JPG

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There are different theories about when to " bump " . Someone said it's not a good idea to bump at 3 a.m. Think about it this way , if you bump at 3 a.m. it will probably still be at the top of the que at 8a.m. when somebody checks the marketplace to see what's there . If you wait until late in the day you might miss the early forum traffic . So many ways to look at it . You only get one bump a day so make it count .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I would agree with everything posted here except maybe the time of day bump. Like previously mentioned you have morning traffic and afternoon traffic.

One thing I would add is make your item easy to view. Don’t have 15 replies to your original post stating “bump”. When you bump an item delete the previous post that way whoever clicks on your item won’t have to scroll through pages of BS just to get to what they are looking at. Also if you have to bump an item that many times that may be an indicator that you should lower your price if you want to sell it.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    I would agree with everything posted here except maybe the time of day bump. Like previously mentioned you have morning traffic and afternoon traffic.

One thing I would add is make your item easy to view. Don’t have 15 replies to your original post stating “bump”. When you bump an item delete the previous post that way whoever clicks on your item won’t have to scroll through pages of BS just to get to what they are looking at. Also if you have to bump an item that many times that may be an indicator that you should lower your price if you want to sell it.
    To add to that, I see some guys will have 20 responses to their own ad, then may have a price reduction buried in there. Edit your original ad to reflect the lower price.

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    To add to that, I see some guys will have 20 responses to their own ad, then may have a price reduction buried in there. Edit your original ad to reflect the lower price.
    I agree, but you can only edit the original post for a short period, maybe one week.

Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA

This is how you sell a gun :biglaugh:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La