To clear the air

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    about the

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl78

In the debate, McCain portrayed Barack Obama as an excessive spender, and he punctuated his attack (twice) with this example:

"[Obama] voted for nearly a billion dollars in pork barrel earmark projects, including, by the way, $3 million for an overhead projector at a planetarium in Chicago, Illinois. My friends, do we need to spend that kind of money?"

I agree. Earmarks have their place. How do you think alot of stuff gets funding? You can't bring up each individual request for spending. It would take years to get through just one sessions worth. Now, I do believe they should be better watched.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    why should FEDERAL dollars be paying for that projector? sounds like a state or local project to me.... THAT is why it has no place.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I love how people are all mad.. That he got busted out... Like the fact that it was for a planetarium makes it all better...
    I am sure MCCain and every other person in congress , senate what ever has voted for simular stuff.. But it doesnt matter if they are building a Rodeo Arena in North Louisiana or projector for a planetarium.PORK IS PORK.. Its all the same...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Federal money is OUR money. They steal it from us in the first place.

I am all for as much of it as possible coming BACK to as local a level as possible.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Federal money is OUR money. They steal it from us in the first place.

I am all for as much of it as possible coming BACK to as local a level as possible.
    I'd like to see them use that money to pay down the national debt and/or get us out of a current year deficit, then when a surplus exists and debt is paid (several decades away from that) then reduce the tax burden on citizens so that I can decide where to send my money instead of throwing it up in the air for Congress to disburse... in other words - I'd rather no give it to them in the first place, without this extra spending I wouldn't have to.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Didn't Daniel Boone give a speech just before he died at the Alamo about how Congress doesn't have the right to spend the people's money for charity projects?

I'm not overly concerned about the projector though. We give tons of fed money to research grants for science projects, drug reseach, etc. I don't consider space research a waste of money. I'd LIKE to know if a comet is 'comin' right at us!'.

What I'd like to know is why immigration wasn't mentioned in any of the debates? Did ya'll see the HUD report that said 5 million US homes have been purchased w/ bogus ss# by illegal immigrants.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    What I'd like to know is why immigration wasn't mentioned in any of the debates? Did ya'll see the HUD report that said 5 million US homes have been purchased w/ bogus ss# by illegal immigrants.

There is no need for questions to be asked, they are both 100% pro-illegal immigrant and pro-amnesty.

The difference equates to an argument over which toilet paper they use, with the same general outlook...toilet paper is good to use.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Didn't Daniel Boone give a speech just before he died at the Alamo about how Congress doesn't have the right to spend the people's money for charity projects?

I'm not overly concerned about the projector though. We give tons of fed money to research grants for science projects, drug reseach, etc. I don't consider space research a waste of money. I'd LIKE to know if a comet is 'comin' right at us!'.

It was either him or someone else that made a speech. I used to have it printed or saved and have been trying to find it. It had to do with a widow that lost her husband in the war and was having a hard time. One of the then politicians or someone wanted to take some of the taxpayers money to give to her to help and it resulted in a speech. More or less said that you could not take the taxpayers money and give to the people, but you were free to give money out of your pocket to her if you wanted to. The way it read was that it was against the constitution to give money away that come from the taxpayer, at least back then. It was a very good read.:D

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Ron Paul tried to get congress to not give some famous person a Medal of Honor/Gold Star...something...using taxpayer funds, instead he proposed that every member of congress give $100 of their own money to purchase the Medal for said person.

He raised $100, came out of his own pocket.

Congress funded the medal with our money.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    about the

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl78

I agree. Earmarks have their place. How do you think alot of stuff gets funding? You can't bring up each individual request for spending. It would take years to get through just one sessions worth. Now, I do believe they should be better watched.

Maybe if congress would put in a full 8 hrs. a day like the people they represent, they would be able to bring up more stuff for discussion.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    It would be a grand world if the states could raise enough money to support every project that they have, but they can't. Education, infrastructure, etc are all supported by federal dollars. Try making the states pay for everything and every state will be broke.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It would be a grand world if the states could raise enough money to support every project that they have, but they can't. Education, infrastructure, etc are all supported by federal dollars. Try making the states pay for everything and every state will be broke.

Well damn penguin, if the .gov wouldn't reach their grubby paws so deep into my paycheck, the state might have a fair shake at it.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

Well damn penguin, if the .gov wouldn't reach their grubby paws so deep into my paycheck, the state might have a fair shake at it.

Exactly.

Top Bottom