To refinish or not refinish.....1911?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who dat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Covington
    I have a original Colt 1911 (not A1) that has been passed down in the family. I never shot it and it appears to function fine. The finish is all but gone and has surface rust - no pitting. I will never sell it and was tossing around the idea of refinishing it. What are y'alls opinions on refinishing? I will refinish it historically correct. Any recommendations on a gunsmith? Will this tank the value of the piece? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Since you say you're never going to sell it, I'd refinish it. If you were to sell it, I'd find out what it's worth now, how much it would cost to refinish, then how much it would be worth refinished and decide from there. But, as a strict family keepsake, make it shine.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Refinish it in duracoat, install novak sights, install a beavertail safety, add porting.

or just clean it really good, oil it and call it good.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    My personal rule on re-finishing guns....." Never re-finish a gun, unless it's a worthless piece of crap, or you want it to be one. "

Any gun that has any collectability to it, is worth drastically more in it's original condition

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Refinish it in duracoat, install novak sights, install a beavertail safety, add porting.

or just clean it really good, oil it and call it good.

notthisnotthisnotthisnotthis

Just take care of it, leave it how it is. Don't you dare go anywhere near that piece of work with steel wool. DON'T YOU DARE.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    have it evaluated and valued by a colt 1911 expert. It may be worth more as a refinished shooter because it will probably never be a collector if it has no rust.

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    My personal rule on re-finishing guns....." Never re-finish a gun, unless it's a worthless piece of crap, or you want it to be one. "

Any gun that has any collectability to it, is worth drastically more in it's original condition

Yes.

I have refinished current production guns. But one something like that - IF it is worth something because of the age, you will kill that off with a refinish

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Without seeing how much rust there is and how much damage been done. No one has any idea if from the financial perspective which the right thing to do. Yes Colt can if the rust isn't too bad put a factory original blue on the weapon. They used to mark as a refinish. But I cannot honestly give you any accurate advice without more knowledge. No one else can either.

Dave

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    I personally would not, it will kill any collector value that it has. Yes I know you said you'd never sale it, leave as is and enjoy it for what it is. That's how you got it, I'm sure the person before you got it in similar condition, why change it now.

DStewart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    New Orleans
    I personally would not, it will kill any collector value that it has. Yes I know you said you'd never sale it, leave as is and enjoy it for what it is. That's how you got it, I'm sure the person before you got it in similar condition, why change it now.

Hit the nail on the head.

Top Bottom