Tractor input!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Hey guys. I need a compact tractor. I’m thinking 30-40hp, 4x4 with front end loader. It’ll most likely be an older one. Just hoping to get any insight on any to stay away from. I see lots of Massey Ferguson’s at good price points.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    not sure in the used market but i bought one new, John Deere 3038 4x4 with front end loader, box blade, disk, 60" finishing mower, i only have 7.5 acres and its about perfict for that size lot .. been having it 4 years and have over 300+ hours on it, only thing i have had to do to it is change fluids..

2 things id suggest and you already got them in your sites, front end loader and 4x4... The front end loader is a game changer!!! Youll be picking up stuff you never thought you would use it for. The 4x4 pays off, i had a buddy come with a 45hp front end loader 2x4 to help me move dirt, with my 38hp 4x4 i could hit the pile 4x harder and grab a bigger load and get out of there than he could with him having a much bigger tractor

edit, forgot hydrostatic transmission is a must for me, think they all come with that now but makes a world of diff while hitting piles or working with pto engaged...

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a MF 135 but it's about a 1970 model.

Seems like everyone I know that has bought a new tractor lately went with Kubota

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Kubota or Deere. Look carefully at whether you want hydrostatic or geared transmission. If you’re going to use the loader a lot, likely hydro.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I really do not know **** about tractors other then that Lamborghini makes one. If I ever need a tractor.. Thats what I'm getting.. A Lamborghini.. I mean seriously why not? It's a got damn Lamborghini..i just hope they have an option for sweep up lambo doors.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Kubota or Deere. Look carefully at whether you want hydrostatic or geared transmission. If you’re going to use the loader a lot, likely hydro.

yea hydro works great for a loader, one less thing to worry bout while you hitting a pile and moving dirt, and for sure with my finishing mower!!! While pto stays at 540, i can stop, backup, turn, take a break or anything without having to ride the cluch and shift and keep pto up for cutting ect

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    theres alot of "vs" vids on youtube that helped me make up my mind... to me the diff were all personal preferences, like if you wanted a metal hood or plastic, both had there selling point " this one is tough its steel" and "this one is plastic so it will never dent ect" or this one has quick remove front bucket ect... look at all the options and see which one is better for you

My main deciding factor was how close and tight the front bucket was on the jd vs others were out like 1.5-2ft more, makes a huge diff in tight areas or swinging around trees ect, the lifting amount and the package i got and the deal i got on it.

Plus all the "old folks" would tell me
    "show me a 150+ year old mahindra or kubota ... You cant now i can go down the road and show you 10 john deere's" lol

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    ... Plus all the "old folks" would tell me
    "show me a 150+ year old mahindra or kubota ... You cant now i can go down the road and show you 10 john deere's" lol

Just a nit - Although he started making plows as a blacksmith in 1836, John Deere opened his plant "Deere, Tate and Gould" in Moline, Ill in 1848 to make steel plows. David Massey built his plant to make threshers in 1847. Both companies got into the tractor business around 1917-18.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Deere or Kubota. Both are great. I think the Kubota has stronger lift for the front end loader. The Deere has the advantage of the steering ram being behind the front axle so it is protected where the Kubota is in front of the axle. Every Kubota I looked at that is more than a few years old has the boots tore off the steering ram joints. Just points to ponder. The single best upgrade I did was add a third function to the front end loader to use a grapple. That grapple has been worth it's weight for cleaning up storm debris.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I've used virtually every make and model out there for one thing or another for over 50 yrs. I grew up in a farming family, so tractors have been a part of all my life. Mostly, it's like Ford V Chevy, personal preference, but a few things. If you're doing contractor type work, shuttle shift is the way to go. Hydro V mech. meh, pick your poison. Hydro is awesome, but if it breaks, not every shop can repair it right, you won't be able to do it right, and if you do have to repair it, get your checkbook out and ready for a big hit. They are great if you don't like using a clutch. Mechanical, you can repair it yourself if you can split the tractor. I'll never have another tractor without a front end loader, period! 4X4? Meh, again, nice to have, and 4X4 will do 40% more work than a 2X4 in the same HP. Otherwise, if it's sloppy enough to need 4X4, maybe you shouldn't be there! Only valid reason for 4X4 beyond what I mentioned above, is a farmer, or a rancher that HAS to feed cows when it's wet. Otherwise, much like the hydro. It'll cost 8000 more for the 4X4, and if it breaks, again, get your checkbook ready for a big hit. Otherwise, go ahead and spend your money anyway you see fit and believe the interweb farmers if you like. Best advice for most, talk to a contractor and get their take. That's the type of work most small property owners are doing, and said contractors use these machines every day to make a living.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Thanks for all of the input. I’m honestly kind of on the fence with going with something a little cheaper like the Massey Ferguson. Locally there’s a 35hp, new with backhoe attachment for $24k (0% financing). Every used Kubota in my cash price range (sub $10k) sells quickly if it’s a fair deal

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    I found myself in the same position as you a lil over a year ago. Needed one for limited use, def. didn't want to spend "new tractor" money. Found a 10 year old Kubota, 35 hp 4X4 with loader. Couldn't be happier with it. Sitting at 1000 hours now, performed the fluid change, and had one seal leaking on shift rod, no other issues. As previously stated, spend the extra on the 4X4 and loader. Also, mine has the geared transmission, and it really isn't a terribly big deal to me. Full disclosure, I've never operated one with the hydro trans. Maybe it would be a big deal.... Also, keep in mind, anything you buy new will run DEF and have the additional emission restrictions.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ahh yea you are right the newer ones have a re-gen setting after they have so much % soot in exhaust you have to rev it up to 1500rpm and it cleans it for like 15 mins, mine does it about every 50-60 hours, never really notice it cause it does it while I’m using it, I do not have to use def fluid but they do recomend low sulfur, but I have ran quite a bit of red fuel in it with no problem

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I bought my current tractor new in 2008. Looked at all of them and decided on Mahindra.
    Very equivalent to kubota in capacity and was about 3 grand less. Lots of parts and dealer availability and they have been around for a long time.
    The deer was identical in price but way less tractor for the money. Curb weight was 500 less, half the hydraulic flow and 500 pounds less on front lift capacity. Paying for a green paint job and a name wasn’t what I wanted- price was within $100 to mahindra.
    Full size Tractors are a different game but for a compact, mahindra had the edge.
    That was over 10 years ago and maybe it’s a bit different now.
    There is a reason the MF is cheap, wasn’t in the same league then, lots of problems.
    4wd is a must if you plan to really use the loader and loader is an absolute must.
    I have changed 1 battery, sleeved a bent tie rod( ran in large hole and bent the rod getting tractor out) and broke the water drain in a brush pile. That’s it.
    Shuttle is good, hydro is easier but pricey when it has an issue, gear is simple and cheap to fix 20+ years down the road.
    Mahindra 2816 with loader- gear drive.
    Went from a yammer 24hp 2wd to it and 12 years later still made the right decision.
    It’s all about what you need. I needed a max width of 5’ for trails which limited my size choices.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Mahindra is good , I have put my 30 hp kioti through hell since 2007 and it is still running great . Some people buy john deere because they think it is American made but as my neighbor found out j d has more factories in other countries than the u s . His jd is a yanmar with $4000 extra for green paint .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I bought a new Kubota 55 hp about 3 years ago, 4 wd and a front loader are must haves.
    As for transmissions; if you want easy driveability go with the hydrostatic, if you want max power to the ground go gear. A clutch is much less expensive to replace, if ever needed than repair a hydro drive. Choose something where you can easily get maintenance parts and accessories.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Nothing is American maid anymore… nothing lol
    Mahindra is good , I have put my 30 hp kioti through hell since 2007 and it is still running great . Some people buy john deere because they think it is American made but as my neighbor found out j d has more factories in other countries than the u s . His jd is a yanmar with $4000 extra for green paint .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have had a Kubota since about 2005. It runs great and other than user-related issue has had no problems. It is 4WD with a manual gear shift and it is a pain in the ass sometimes but you get used to it. I can't comment on hydro and PTO usage but I didn't have an issue when bush hogging. Front-loaders are a godsend and you can use them for more than just moving dirt, I have used it to unload freight from trucks for stuff I have ordered, used it to smooth dirt, and also as a rake to push grass clippings into a pile for burning.

One thing I found is that the fluid window has a white backer to it so when you look at it the white makes it look like you have water in the oil but you don't. Found that out after changing everything and finding out it was fine.

Top Bottom