Trade Value vs Sale Price

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    My approach has always been, if it's a quality gun (and that means a Glock), and it's not beat to hell, I'm willing to pay within $0-$50 under retail price for it. A $550 gun new is going to set me back an extra $50 or so on taxes. So yeah, I'm cool with paying $500-$550 instead of $600 for it. Plus, you're helping somebody out that might really need the money. Not to say I won't turn down a better deal, of course.

Everyone wants everything for nothing when you're selling, and everything's thinks what they're selling is worth a fortune when you're buying.

That's just the way things work.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a no lock 442 with a Null ankle holster and 400 rounds of ammo (200 practice and 200 federal +p+ carry ammo), speedloaders and other things I may list. If I list it for $500 I'll end up getting $350 offers because 159 rounds have been fired out of it and it's missing a box.

That's just the way people roll.

JR1572

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have a no lock 442 with a Null ankle holster and 400 rounds of ammo (200 practice and 200 federal +p+ carry ammo), speedloaders and other things I may list. If I list it for $500 I'll end up getting $350 offers because 159 rounds have been fired out of it and it's missing a box.

That's just the way people troll.

JR1572

Fixed it.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    When selling (on sites and groups like this) it's generally better to start a little high. People want to feel like they're getting a deal.

Now the whole trade value is higher thing still baffles me.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Another thing I thought of.

Maybe people charge higher for their items because some people can only buy guns here, and not at a store.

Let that soak in for a minute.

JR1572

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    For trade is good. Sometimes people may be tight on cash but have something someone else needs or wants something someone else has. I've traded on here before, usually to the other persons favor, but I've always been aware that the final decision made was mine to make and I've yet to have a bad experience with anyone I've dealt with on here. Quite honestly, everyone I've dealt with on here all seem to be really good people. Any low ball offers I usually just respond with a "sorry can't do that". You can't really blame anyone for trying if it's within reason.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Interesting points. But what I'm hearing is that I'm looking for logic in the illogical.

We are experiencing the evolution of bartering. To me, Its supposed to be a little confusing. If you can engage someone into the bartering process, The Stronger and more intelligent barterer wins.
    Its encoded in our DNA.
    Then along came the invention of currency, and we can all see where that evolution has taken us.
    Imagine back in the day, trying to figure out how many chickens you want to offer for that dairy cow your neighbor has........ "How many of your chickens produce, and exactly how many eggs do they produce before its time to eat them".
    "Because MY freakin Cow will produce enough milk for the entire family every day !"

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I've been lowballed by a bunch of people lately. I just don't respond to their PM's.

Im trying to GIVE Speedracer a pair of professionally framed Speed Racer and Mach 5 posters, and he wont respond to my PM's

Try to figure that one out ? :fawk:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Another thing I thought of.

Maybe people charge higher for their items because some people can only buy guns here, and not at a store.

Let that soak in for a minute.

JR1572

I've often wondered that too. How many are doing just that? Looking at someones DL wont tell you if they can legally own guns. I did see someone requiring a ccw permit for a ftf transaction. It didnt make sense at the time but i see the logic in it now.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I've often wondered that too. How many are doing just that? Looking at someones DL wont tell you if they can legally own guns. I did see someone requiring a ccw permit for a ftf transaction. It didnt make sense at the time but i see the logic in it now.

My point is that there are people that will only buy guns from individuals. Some people do it because they cannot buy them at stores, some people are paranoid and don't want the government to have a paper trail linking them to a gun.

JR1572

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Not unless it has "Sex Offender" across the bottom of it in big red letters. I think all violent felons should have their DL/ID marked.

I could totally get down with this idea. I've had a couple of sales that I backed out of because the buyers seemed sketchy, but the way it is now, you never can know for sure.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not unless it has "Sex Offender" across the bottom of it in big red letters. I think all violent felons should have their DL/ID marked.

I could totally get down with this idea. I've had a couple of sales that I backed out of because the buyers seemed sketchy, but the way it is now, you never can know for sure.

The problem with this is when you petition Congress or your State Legislature to do this, some douche will ask; "You want us to add this info to a felons DL so private gun sellers will know for certain whether or not they could privately transfer ownership of a gun to a non-felon or felon? How about we just eliminate private transfers and make all gun sales go through form 4473 and a registered FFL holder?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I only buy guns and the bulk of my gun accessories used. I have many reasons for this.

I hate paying tax, honestly I do. I pay plenty (more than my share) of tax in multiple other ways (I own a business, nuff said). I feel like the powers that be are just blowing my money on bs and not getting anything positive done for me and my fellow taxpayers. So buying used stuff from individuals makes me feel all warm an fuzzy inside! Yeah, like I actually helped out my neighbor!

Used stuff is cheaper than new. We all know this, even those of us that would like to try to ignore it. And I do factor in tax and transfer fees. I would rather pay the same price to an individual than jumping through the hoops. I guess that is just me.

I am not into submitting my info to scrutiny by some sort of overblown govt agency. I am not a felon, I do not have mental issues. I am an avid collector who occasionally target shoots. I don't get speeding tickets, I don't call the cops on my neighbors, I don't cause anyone issues (I try my best not to). I am just an average normal person in this respect. No need to worry about me, unless they raise taxes anymore.... HAHAHAHA

Guns are generally well made (at least the stuff I buy is, not so sure about the Taurus crowd's buying habits) so determining its condition is very easy. I have paid retail for some guns (minus tax and transfer of course) that I WANTED, and was happy to as they were harder to find and the condition was close to new. I also know that while any gun has a limited service life, 500-1k round count might as well be nothing, and I also feel like there is a good chance the gun works properly if it has been shot. I do know my ay around guns, especially the guns I like. Being informed about what you are doing is very important, at least to me.

I do agree about a potentially higher trade value number. I will only trade if it is in my favor (either monetarily or in personal want). However I do not bother listing a trade price as the details of any trade are very specific to the variables in the trade and attempting to assign an arbitrary value to that is a complete waste of time IMO.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don't see the real point in posting a "trade value" . Offer what you have and see if it flies . What's so difficult about that ?

Because some dummies think their hah-pernt is a fair trade for an AR.

And some dummies don't know the difference between a Ed Brown 1911 and a Taurus PT1911.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Everyone better rush back to the classifieds and look at the $2,000 Glock 19 with a $2,200 trade value just posted.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure if anyone actually address the original question here ...

There's a good reason that trade value is higher than cash value. Let's say you take your S&W Model 10 into the local pawn shop. He might offer you $200 cash or $300 for trade. The reason is this: whatever he "trades" with you has a good bit of profit margin built into it; margin that he can afford to cut in on since he'll also make a profit by selling the gun that you're trading in.

Let me break down the math a bit more.

Most pawn shops are looking to make around 100% profit margin. In other words: he'll buy your S&W Model 10 from you for $200 and look to sell it for $400. That's $200 profit.

Now, let's say he offers you $300 trade value. And you take him up on that and trade for a Glock 17 that's sitting in the case for $400. You make up the $100 difference and go on your way feeling pretty good about things.

And, if we assume that he's got 100% markup, he probably paid around $200 for the Glock. So, his total investment in this transaction was the $200 to buy the original Glock. But for that $200, he's got your S&W (which he'll hope to sell for $400), and an extra $100 in cash from you. In other words, he potentially turned $200 into $500.

So, that's why trade-in value is typically higher than cash value. He's making money *and* moving inventory. If he's got good stock turnover already (or his profit margins are already low) he may be less inclined to bump up the trade value. He may also wait to see what you're interested in. If he's been stuck with that Glock for a while, he may have additional motivation to give you a higher trade-in value if he knows you're interested in it.

Mike

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Thanks for that Mike. It makes perfect sense in a business model. I dont personally think its a legitimate way to handle personal transactions or one time deals. YMMV. I understand that some will do it anyway. Its their choice.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Some people offer the cash price as the "discount". Someone wanting to trade deals with full perceived value in my opinion. I generally say I am open to trades for XXXX or XXXX etc + or - cash as necessary. I don't have a problem with people listing their trade values. If I don't like it I just move on.

Top Bottom