Trading firearms FTF with Texas owner???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bboni2`

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Shreveport
    Hey guys, tried to do some research but just wanted to double check with the community. Have someone I plan to trade firearms with - my rifle for his handgun. The other person lives just across the Texas border and I wasn't sure how to go about this legally. We plan on doing this face to face. Do we need FFL?

echo515x

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Laplace
    what if you’re not 21 yet trying to buy a pistol because the only legal way to do that is private sale. does the FFL have to do a background check or is it just shipped and handed over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    what if you’re not 21 yet trying to buy a pistol because the only legal way to do that is private sale. does the FFL have to do a background check or is it just shipped and handed over?

If it's coming from out of state, it has to be shipped to a FFL in this state. You will have to do a background check to get the handgun from the FFL in this state, which means you have to be 21 and over.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!

FFL must perform a NICS check.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    It's MY UNSDERSANDING an FFL can sell and transfer a long gun in Texas or La. to a legal aged person from out of state but cannot do so for a handgun---legality on the receiver's end is determined by a check by receiving FFL doing a background check. Someone correct if my understanding is incorrect---

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca
    A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of their state, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. There may be state laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact their State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible state or local restrictions.
    Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of state, the firearm must be shipped to a federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s state of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.
    A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.
    A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any state. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My advice is worth exactly what I'm charging you.

Have the other party transport the handgun to an FFL in Louisiana that you have confirmed will receive a transfer from a private individual.
    Bring the long gun with you. The FFL can transfer a long gun across state lines but not a handgun.

Have the FFL enter them into his/her bound book.
    Fill out 4473's. Pass a background check. Pay your fees.
    Everyone is happy, . . . except

Be aware. If you can not pass the background check for the firearm, the owner must fill out another 4473 to get his own gun back. If he can't pass the background check, the gun is in a legal limbo.

Best if you have a CHP to avoid the NICS process, and you confirm that the FFL will transfer on that basis.

Everything should be cleared with the FFL before arrival for a happier experience. Some FFL's have weird rules that exceed the requirements of the law.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    So far a few post from member's who are stating to brake the law have been taken down.
    They know better.

The law has been posted!
    Now the OP and anyone who reads this thread has the information to make the transaction right.
    To prevent any more post stating openly to brake the law the thread is now locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom