Tragedy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    I wonder if he was still armed when the cops shot him? Or did the cops see him shoot and shot back?

As many lives as that guy saved is awesome but how he got shot is also why I wouldn't pull my gun out for anyone else but for my family and myself.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I wonder if he was still armed when the cops shot him? Or did the cops see him shoot and shot back?

As many lives as that guy saved is awesome but how he got shot is also why I wouldn't pull my gun out for anyone else but for my family and myself.
    Regardless I’d think the cop approaching the scene would know what the suspect is wearing. Sad situation all around.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    First, prayers go out to the families dealing with this tragedy. I do not know of a police officer who wakes up wanting to cause death or pain for anyone, but there is true evil in this world that does and it seems as though LEO's being in uniform have multiple targets on them. This type scenario haunts me. I carry primarily for personal safety of me and my family and let police do their work for the rest, but given this scenario I can't help but hope I would do the same as John Hurley.

What is the best way to show police I am not the evil dude but second on the scene who may have HAD to use his weapon in defense of himself or others?

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    " What is the best way to show police I am not the evil dude but second on the scene who may have HAD to use his weapon in defense of himself or others? "

1...Don't ever pick up the perps weapon and hold it over them, especially if it's a dreaded AR or AK type weapon. What's the cops supposed to think but you are the shooter...

2... Step back and lay your weapon out of reach, hands up, at the first sign of LEO response

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Was the perp still alive, able to fight? You wouldn't want the perp to have access to the weapon so getting it out of his reach would be a good thing.

If there are multiple perps (known or not) should you relinquish your weapon and lay on the ground or hands up?

Yeah I agree ONCE police show up, hands up and obey commands.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    " What is the best way to show police I am not the evil dude but second on the scene who may have HAD to use his weapon in defense of himself or others? "

1...Don't ever pick up the perps weapon and hold it over them, especially if it's a dreaded AR or AK type weapon. What's the cops supposed to think but you are the shooter...

2... Step back and lay your weapon out of reach, hands up, at the first sign of LEO response
    3…. Don’t get involved.

4…. If you must get involved, take your shot then conceal your weapon and go about your business or go into hiding or throw your gun as far as you can and lie down and play dead.

5…. Remember that when cops arrive on scene, anyone holding a gun is very likely to be fired on no matter what the circumstances.
    A person holding a gun at any shooting is gonna likely be shot at as soon as a cop arrives on scene so attempting to inform them of anything will be fruitless.
    Anyone who doesn’t already know why should not get involved.

Last edited:

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Horrible tragedy all the way around. Ultimate fault lies on the dead POS criminal that initiated the whole thing.
    Nobody here on this forum was there, and I highly doubt anyone commenting on the incident has ever been in anything similar, so I'd say throwing stones is pretty lame.
    I would say it can be seen as a learning lesson to anyone civilian carrying a firearm. Know what your limitations are. Know when to withdraw, retreat, run away and hide. Realize that anyone, police as well as maybe even another civilian packing a gun, will be highly charged upon arrival and upon seeing bodies on the floor may take anyone in civilian clothes with gun in hand as a threat. Remember, we do live in an age of mass shootings.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    but how he got shot is also why I wouldn't pull my gun out for anyone else but for my family and myself.

3…. Don’t get involved.

I don't know guys; It would be pretty difficult for me to sit back and do nothing if I saw an innocent person being stabbed or shot in front of me.

Also, this is a direct result of the anti-cop rhetoric coming from all these worthless piles of **** around this country. If our so-called leaders were as passionate about defending law enforcement and the US Constitution, as they are about allowing unfettered illegal immigration; this kind of stuff may only happen in very rare instances.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I can offer what I did in a similar scenario, not involving a shooting of course, but did involve a home burglary in progress and a 911 call. I was able to detain three suspects when they exited the dwelling they had entered. I was armed with a Mini-14. The three perps remained compliant till LEO arrived. As soon as LEO turned in the driveway I cleared and set down my rifle and raised my hands and let them handle it from there.

Top Bottom