Trifocals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    *Sigh*

I'm giving in to the badge of age. I've been near-sighted al my life, but I've always been able to see up close while wearing my glasses. Even though my unaided distnce vision is good only out to about 50 feet I've always been able to focus close even while wearing glasses. At 50 however I'm finally unable to read my monitor at work, and have entered the final stage - acceptance. I am no longer cool if I ever actually was.

For you younger folks the problem with trifocals - aside from the getting used to them issue - is the fact that to be truly effective the lenses have to be big and fairly square. Stylish thin lenses don't work well, so that's why old guys look - well old.

Anyway that's it. Smokin' hot young girls call me, "Sir" and think my crude jokes are cute. Not that it really matters. I'm married happily with two little gilrs, but it's just the thought that not only am I old, but I look it as well. Damn.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I feel for you and can relate. One thing that I have discovered about being old though... I get a free pass to be as damn crotchety as I feel like anytime I want! Kinda cool. :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Funny you bring this up... I picked up my new glasses tonight (very happy with my new lighter lenses... much clearer too, not to mention I gouged the old ones shooting prone... ).

They told me I'm getting close to needing bifocals but not yet. OTOH, I can't see anything at a distance without my glasses.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Got my bifocals 3 years ago. Never looked back: love 'em. I do wish I had gotten tri-vocals, because I do a considerable amount of close work a foot or two overhead. If you don't, you may not really need tri-focal.

My lenses are the lightweight ones and are the thinnest ones I have had in 30 years. When you see the Optometrist ask what your new distance vision is. Turns out that as we age and get the far sightedness that results in the need for bifocals, it is surprisingly common that our nearsightedness actually improves. Sometimes by a significant amount. In my forties, my vision was 20:600. Now it is 20:300. I can actually see remarkably well without my glasses, at least comparably. (First time since I was 12 or so.)

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    You should consider contacts. I too am very nearsighted. I am 70 and have been wearing contact for 30+ years for distant vision and use a cheap pair of over the counter reading glasses to read and do close work. Todays soft contact lenses are so comfortable that you don't know they are in your eyes, some can be worn continuously for a month before being removed. A years supply is cheaper than a pair of most prescription glasses, for me under $100. Advantages are no fogged up glasses when going from cold building to hot humid outside, no sweat dripping on them,, no rain drops on them. I can buy any type of no prescription sunglasses I want. I will probably be buried with contacts so I can see in the after life.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I also have been nearsighted most of my life, I see good close but after 40 my eyes can't overcome my distant prescription up close. I rufuse to go to big clunky tri-focals, having to hunt for the mid distance area.

I had to convince the optomitrist I know what I'm doing, but had the lower bi-focal lens adjusted to arms length for my mid distance. The advantages are anything out 3 feet or more is easy to read, the dash of my car is clear when I glance down without moving my head, and I can watch TV in bed. I just take my glasses off to read or do detail work up close.

I too, don't like it when those young girls call you Sir or Mr.

allemanp

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Cecilia, LA
    Contacts would be optimal in shooting situations. I sell contact lenses for a living, and multifocal contacts have improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. As for infections, there are actually daily use contact lenses available on the market which are thrown away after a day of wear and a new pair used the next day. These over virtually a 0% chance of any adverse events, and are perfect for someone who only wants to use them occasionally. I know I sound like a salesman here, but as an avid firearm enthusiast, I understand the visual needs for shooting with precision, and I can assure you the newest multifocal lenses on the market will amaze you when fit properly. There are also multifocal lenses for toric patients as well.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    If you need bi or trifocals, buy the progressives. They are worth the extra money. I switched to progressives a fee years ago and am very happy with them.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I'm on my first pair of progressive trifocals and love them for everyday wear. No problems in fitting the lenses into any frames I want. I've had bifocals since I turned 50, wore contacts for 30 years but finally got to the point where I had to wear reading glasses most of the time, over the contacts, so just got bifocals and gave up the contacts.

For shooting I go back to one of my older glasses where I had asked for an inverted bifocal in the right lens. Thru trial and error I had found a bifocal Rx that allowed me to see my sights better. The older fixed bifocal seems to work better than constantly moving my head up and down to get the sights clear in a progressive trifocal.

LoniJo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Elizabeth, LA
    @bs875...Brian Regan is one of the funniest guys around. His hearing test and the ER visit are two of my favorites.

Progressives are the way to go. Bifocals here, and I love them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom