Truck problems, need mechanic advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91Foxtrot

Go Ordnance
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I bought a used vehicle when I was first arrived in Alaska, a 2001 Ford Ranger, and everything was fine for a couple months. Then the truck's "check engine" light came on, and the truck started to die after idling for a few minutes. It doesn't have any problems as long as I'm driving it, but it will die after 5-10 minutes of idling. I've changed the oil and oil filter, used additive to clean the fuel filter, and hooked it up to the machine at NAPA. All I'm told is that the "system is too lean", and the employee at NAPA wasn't quite sure what that meant. Any idea guys, all the mechanics at the motor pool are stumped.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    What code is it setting with the light?
    What engine? 2.5 4cyl?
    Mileage? Long history of doing a lot of idling?
    I am going to shoot at egr system if it had idled a lot, especially since the egr system on the 4 cyl is notorious for plugging itself up.
    Really need to know the trouble code though.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    IACV may be malfunctioning. At -50, that's a good deal more oxygen going into the engine than at +70. If it doesn't close far enough the engine may idle too high, or just run very lean. Also, check to see that the throttle body heater (if equipped) has not plugged up or frozen. Most newer trucks have a heater line coming right off the engine block and going straight to the throttle block.

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    You can try unhooking the battery for a few min. Then re-connect battery, start it and let idle for 5-10 min. Can't hurt. also replace the fuel filter.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I used to own a F150 with 4.2 that threw a too lean code at me, was a vacuum leak letting too much air in, so check the hoses and give the mass air flow sensor a cleaning while you're at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom