True Grit trailer (long one)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Joel and Ethan Coen made No Country for old Men, which is by far the best film made in the last 10 years. Not only is it subtly very intelligent --Ethan Coen's Philosophy degree from Princeton explodes all over No Country-- but it's also the only film I've ever seen where a man polices his brass.

Their filmography speaks for itself. I'm hopeful only because the brothers made this remake. Let's all be thankful Michael Bay wasn't involved involved.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I'll probably watch it, but it kinda sticks me wrong when they want to remake a John Wayne movie (which are my favorite). I like cowboy movies though.

Still, IMO there are plenty of other great stories the Coen brothers could have done that haven't be done yet. I've been reading Ralph Compton's books lately and have been really enjoying them.

I guess someone could try to make Blood Meridian, but that one would be pretty rough.

I think with the way things are today they prob. wanted to go with a movie that many people already like and would hopefully want to see. Hollywood is not taking many risks these days.

Look at it like this, If this movie is a hit then maybe that will open the eyes of other movie makers to make more good westerns. I have not seen Jona Hex or whatever but to me that is not a real western. Its based off of a comic. I will watch it on DVD but didnt spend my money in the theater on it. Im going to watch True Grit in the theater.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Joel and Ethan Coen made No Country for old Men, which is by far the best film made in the last 10 years. Not only is it subtly very intelligent --Ethan Coen's Philosophy degree from Princeton explodes all over No Country-- but it's also the only film I've ever seen where a man polices his brass.

Their filmography speaks for itself. I'm hopeful only because the brothers made this remake. Let's all be thankful Michael Bay wasn't involved involved.

+1 on all accounts.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    On the subject of old western's, I have seen Big Country.

Don't stop there, compile a list and I'll queue it up on Netflix. :D

If it has John Wayne in it.....

Start with:

Big Jake
    El Dorado
    True Grit
    Rooster Cogburn
    The Searchers
    Rio Lobo
    Rio Bravo
    The Longest Day

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I think with the way things are today they prob. wanted to go with a movie that many people already like and would hopefully want to see. Hollywood is not taking many risks these days.

Look at it like this, If this movie is a hit then maybe that will open the eyes of other movie makers to make more good westerns. I have not seen Jona Hex or whatever but to me that is not a real western. Its based off of a comic. I will watch it on DVD but didnt spend my money in the theater on it. Im going to watch True Grit in the theater.

The Coen brothers probably have the clout to make what they want.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

He also more recently made a Serious Man which was horrible. So what he incorporated quantum reality into a movie script with a real Jewish Mathematician as Schrodinger's Cat. Cool idea horrible movie. Think about how cool the freaking movie could have been even though I won't go into how we as movie goers are the observers and as a result kind of open the box immediately but it had the potential to be amazing and instead we got a movie about a boring Jewish guy. Ridley Scott and Ethan Cohen need to work together. Actually if they did my testicles might explode from the awesomeness that would no doubtingly result so maybe it is better if they don't.

Like you said this movie will look good but Matt Damon is going to f-this thing up. Should be Vigo Mortensen. The Road now that was an amazing movie.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    He also made a Serious Man which was horrible. So what he incorporated quantum reality into a movie script with a real Jewish Mathematician as Schrodinger's Cat. Cool idea horrible movie.

No doubt this movie will look good but Matt Damon is going to f-this thing up. Should be Vigo Mortensen.

Yeah....I like Vigo Mortensen for sure. I will wait to see how Matt Damon does though.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    I can't stand Matt Damon. What a twit.

Have you noticed that all of a sudden there are all of these remakes of successful movies? That's because the no-talents of today don't have an original thought between them.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Looks like it might be pretty good.

I'm just glad the Coen Bros got ahold of the remake, and not some jackass that would drag the original through the mud, like the stupid comedy versions of classic TV shows.....

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Don't overlook:

Red River
    Angel and the Bad Man
    The Cowboys
    The Shootist
    Chisum
    The Sons of Katie Elder
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Stagecoach
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I haven't watched many old westerns either but el dorado was bad ass. :o

Basically, a remake of Rio Lobo, which had Dean Martin in the Robt Mitchum role and Ricky Nelson in the James Cahn role. Angie Dickinson thrown in for eye candy. Sweet.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Looks interesting... I'd like to see it.
    I do think Sam Elliot would have been a better pick for Rooster's part.
    Oh well... I'll prolly go see it.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    You know what, with everything that is coming out as of recent, what else are you going to see at the theater? I like a good western, and this may be one, but even if it is not it will still probably be better than everything else.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Looks interesting... I'd like to see it.
    I do think Sam Elliot would have been a better pick for Rooster's part.
    Oh well... I'll prolly go see it.

I really like Sam Elliot but dont think he would have been good for this part. Rooster was a mess.......out of shape......sort of a has been.

I think Sam is too skinny for this particular part. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom