TruGlo TFO Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Greetings

I have recently been considering upgrading the sights on my XD45 Service to the TFO's, I have previous experience with Meprolight on my XD40 Service and I liked them but transitioning from day light to low light I was not impressed too much night time was pretty decent I also had the same problem with Trijicons so a friend recomended the TFO's which is what he carries on his duty gun. I've shot his Glock with the TFO's and I like the sights a lot but doing some research on them I found out there has been many complaints about the glue used to keep the TFO line inside the sight being very weak or not resistant to gun cleaners.

So, my questions are, can anybody comment on the problem with the glue, does somebody know if the TFO's are standard for all XD's since I thought for some reasson the 45 ACP had a diferent dovetail, and if you have them installed on your carry gun how you like them and would you recomend them?

My only other choice would be to go with the new XS 24/7, I was able to shoot a Kimber Ultra Carry with the Big DOT installed on them and found the sight to be very easy and fast to acquire but not accurate, the DOT seems to be a little too big to my personal like, I know XS also makes the number 5 which has a regular size DOT up front but havent had a chance to shoot a pistol with them.

Any help or comment would be apreciated.

Thanks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They are a neat concept and perform fairly well. But simply put they are NOT tough enough for a defensive pistol, aka something you may depend on to save your life some day. For a range gun they are great.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I agree with speedracer here. From what I have seen personally, the tubes tend to be a little fragile. Dont get me wrong, it's a super concept and one that I will keep my eye on, but for me, personally, I'm sticking with Mepro's or Trijicons.

Kasey - Internet Sales

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I have had a terrible experience with TFOs. I, like you, had seen the glue problem and decided that I'd give it a shot anyway. I paid to have them installed, BABIED my gun at the range and when cleaning, and sure enough, a month or so after using them, I ran into the problem with my front fiber tube coming out of the sight. I called TFO and they suggested they could send me a new fiber tube that I could glue in using any normal glue. I adamantly refused and told them that I would either prefer a full replacement or a return. They offered me the choice so I took the return and purchased some Trijicon night sights. TruGlo has a great concept, but they are fragile, which is not something I want any part of any gun to be.

Edit: Oh, and for what it is worth, Trijicon's can be found on many XDs straight from the factory. They are extremely durable and nice and bright. I have yellow rear and green front sights. TruGlo is not a factory option for any gun of any brand that I have heard of.

Last edited:

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Did you use solvents to clean them with?

The TFOs come with instructions that specifically state to keep all solvents and cleaning solutions away from them. I was extremely meticulous when cleaning my gun as to not get any solvents or solution near the TFOs. I actually had a small area around the sites that stayed slightly dirty, as I was that afraid of having this glue problem occur, yet it still occurred.

johngunguy

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    LEANDER, TEXAS
    I have them on my G21 and G30 without problems and am waiting to receive a set to put on my G19. I like them better than other sight systems because I need the eye catching ability of the fiber optic due to older eyes and like the night sight ability as a bonus.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I apreciatte everybodys input, to me there are more NO NO than GO when it comes to the TFO's, like I previously mentioned I wanted something better than my Trijicons or Meprolight for transitions but I guess either I go with what I am used to or wait for something better to come out to the market, I checked on the XS's and they are a little high for a set of night sights around $140 installed and im not trully convinced that is the route I want to go. I will be replacing sights on both my XD45 Service and on my XD40SC so im also trying to take into consideration $$$$$$$$ on this issue.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have seen quite a few fail very early and they only have a 90 day warranty. Quality is not close to most major brands which have a 10-12 year warranty. I prefer Ameriglo which uses Trijicon inserts.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom