TruGlo TFO Sights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU

The Best There Is
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys I am wanting some new sights for my XDM and I was originally going to get regular tritium sights, but i came up on the TFO sights. Does anyone have a set of TFO sights on their gun? And do you like it better than just having tritium?

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I seen these at the Gun show and they look really neat. The price difference is not noticeable compared to tritium. Go with it, I will next year on my glock.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    They have a 90 day warranty and poor customer service.
    If you need only one sight front or rear you must buy both.
    They do not hold up like Ameriglo, Trijicon, Meprolite, etc.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I would suggest you do more homework. I thought about getting a set but changed my mind after reading too many reviews about the vials popping out.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It really will all depend on what is the primary purpose of the gun, if you plan to make her multi purpose meaning weekend game gun and also carry gun they yeah it does provide an advantage, otherwise stick with Ameriglo NS.

Do a google search on the previous problems with the glue used to hold the TFO rod in place, they had problems with them not being great with solvents used to clean guns and falling apart.

I dont personally like them, but there is people who simply love them

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I have them on a P226 and a P239. The sights have been on the P226 for 5 years now and do well for practical shooting. I changed the P239 sights to TFO's so my Limited gun and carry gun would have the same sight picture. One caveat, the fiber optic inserts will eventually work themselves loose so place a small amount of epoxy where the plastic fiber meets the metal sight body to ensure vibrations don't shake anything loose.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Range toy...sure. Defensive pistol...I'd pass.

As mentioned they have some issues. Another problem I noticed with them is if you're shooting outsude the rears are too damn bright and will actually draw your focal point towards the rear sight instead of the front. Not a good thing.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As mentioned they have some issues. Another problem I noticed with them is if you're shooting outsude the rears are too damn bright and will actually draw your focal point towards the rear sight instead of the front. Not a good thing.

Very true.

I had a set on my M&P EDC and thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. I kept reading more and more shoddy reports, so I started to keep my eye out for problems and perform some rigorous testing of my own.

1) Rods popping out.
    I never had this happen "full on", but I use a very gentle gun solvent and was even more particular about keeping it away from the front sight. This is difficult because of its size, and as my M&P is a 45, it was VERY hard to get the rod clean otherwise. It was perpetually dimmer than it should have been during the day time.

2) Breakage.
    That front post is not very sturdy in general, and there were several reports of breakage. The same can be said for the rears. I tried a couple one handed manipulations against a plain leather belt and could see the stress it was putting on the sight. The profile itself did not do well in this function, either-- far too low cut. Coupled with my observations in #1, I decided that day to replace them.

3) 3 dots, bright rears.
    I even went out of my way to get the yellow rears so the front would stand out more. At night, it was a great success; during the day, thanks to the issues mentioned in #1, Speed's quote held true. On top of all that, 3 dot sights screw with my eyes quite a bit. The cost of being 20/10 I suppose...

4) Rust.
    Every sight, including the factories, have shown some rust on this M&P. The TFO's were the absolute worst, despite having the least metal surface area of the lot. Not too sure what they finished them with, but it's pretty shoddy.

5) Sight radius.
    By far the most minor concern of all, but still. The design of the front post is such that you actually give up quite a bit of sight radius thanks to the extra length. On top of that, I didn't have much daylight on either side of the front post, which is a big no-no for me these days.

In the end, I ditched them and went with the Ameriglo Hack sights. That painted/tritium front post is even more effective than the tritium/FO, as it works well in all lighting conditions. (The TFO's aren't that great in dim settings, even when they're brand new.) It's also a single dot/black rear combo, VASTLY more solid, has shown almost no rust, comes with a better (albeit unnecessary) warranty, provides a much better sight picture for me, and actually would have cost notably less had I gone to it as the first choice. I highly doubt any of my hard use guns for which the sight exists will EVER wear anything else.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Very true.

In the end, I ditched them and went with the Ameriglo Hack sights. That painted/tritium front post is even more effective than the tritium/FO, as it works well in all lighting conditions. (The TFO's aren't that great in dim settings, even when they're brand new.) It's also a single dot/black rear combo, VASTLY more solid, has shown almost no rust, comes with a better (albeit unnecessary) warranty, provides a much better sight picture for me, and actually would have cost notably less had I gone to it as the first choice. I highly doubt any of my hard use guns for which the sight exists will EVER wear anything else.

I told you soooooooooo but you didnt believe meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hehe

I also agree the Pro-Glo front sight is the SHIZNITSssssssssssss

jcronin

Waterdog
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have TFOs on two XDms and a Glock 19. Love the concept but can't say that I trust them. After about 8 months, the rod fell out of the front sight on my XDM 9 mm. TruGlo's customer service is pretty lousy. It took a while to get someone to return my call about a replacement. They blamed me for improper installation even though the sights were installed by a professional gunsmith (Jim's Firearms). I had to pay shipping to the company and it took about 3 weeks to get my slide back. My friend has had similar problems with TFOs on one of his handguns. I'll go with something different next time.

Top Bottom