Trying to determine exactly what I have.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    DO NOT FIRE .380 ACP IN THAT REVOLVER.

Too much pressure.

You're looking for .38 Colt New Police, .38 Smith and Wesson, or .38 Smith and Wesson Long.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    May have been owned by someone in the Navy, but was never military issue AFAIK.

As others said, probably .38 S&W, not .380 or .38 S&W Special. If not marked on the barrel, take it to a gunsmith to determine the caliber.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Thanks for the warnings - I probably should have mentioned that I have no intention of firing it. None. I had .38 Spl so I tried one just for fit. The Navy angle has me confused too - I wasn't aware that Sailors were issued pistols in WWI (or maybe ever for 99% of the Navy)

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    U.S. Revolver Company, as indicated by the grips, was the mail order subsidiary of Iver Johnson, primarily from 1910 to the early twenties. None of the Iver Johnson products were ever included in U.S. Naval Procurement, or any branch of U.S. military- that is a certainty. Low pressure Colt New Police / 38 S&W is the chambering. It's value is primarily the sentimental value if it has been in your family, as they were "budget" guns, when they were introduced.

Last edited:

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Thanks! This is a purely sentimental gun. Any idea where I might be able to track down the year of manufacture with the serial number?

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    I’ve got a few boxes of 38 S&W if you are close and want to shoot it. I have a few S&W 3rd and 4th models in that caliber that have been passed down thru the family

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    We’ve got a few of those in the family. Also one in .22 if you can believe that. One of which is supposedly where Glock got the trigger safety idea that they later sued Smith and Wesson over…. Yeah I know, right? But wait, Iver Johnson sued Smith and Wesson over the name of a pistol… the irony of firearms history.
    As others have stated, no .38 special in these.
    These pistols used to be super cheap if you saw one in a pawn shop but hard to find one in good condition because most owners of the day simply did not properly care for them. The .22 we have happened to be in pristine condition because it had been stored in a foot locker for a lifetime.
    Another very similar revolver that I’ve always loved are the little Smith and Wesson detective specials. Buttery smooth action in .32 long. Nickel plated fancy. Don’t mind the awful gas leak and the fire ball and powder burn when you shoot it tho!
    Thats definitely a keeper and a piece of history.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I’ve got a few boxes of 38 S&W if you are close and want to shoot it. I have a few S&W 3rd and 4th models in that caliber that have been passed down thru the family

Thanks, but I think that it's shooting days are over.

We’ve got a few of those in the family. Also one in .22 if you can believe that. One of which is supposedly where Glock got the trigger safety idea that they later sued Smith and Wesson over…. Yeah I know, right? But wait, Iver Johnson sued Smith and Wesson over the name of a pistol… the irony of firearms history.
    As others have stated, no .38 special in these.
    These pistols used to be super cheap if you saw one in a pawn shop but hard to find one in good condition because most owners of the day simply did not properly care for them. The .22 we have happened to be in pristine condition because it had been stored in a foot locker for a lifetime.
    Another very similar revolver that I’ve always loved are the little Smith and Wesson detective specials. Buttery smooth action in .32 long. Nickel plated fancy. Don’t mind the awful gas leak and the fire ball and powder burn when you shoot it tho!
    Thats definitely a keeper and a piece of history.

Thanks - It's definitely a cool conversation piece which is why I wanted to know a little more about it. Coupled with the family story, it's fun to have around.

Top Bottom