TVs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I do not much follow electronics much, but seeing as how I am out of school and working, and have no TV, I am thinking that I should buy one.

So, what is THE best brand out there right now? I have seen the 3D TVs, is their picture every bit as good (or better) in 2D mode as the striaght up 2D TVs?

I am looking for something in the 32" range right now.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    John H. Carter Co. in Baton Rouge, sales rep and distributor for primarily Fisher Control Valves and Regulators, along with many other process control products (control systems, quarter-turn on/off, instrumentation, pumps, etc.)

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    LCD backlighting is vastly superior to LED backlighting. I'd also recommend you check out my "Firing the Cable Company" thread in which I recommend doing without cable and getting most of your content off the internet. Run Boxee, Hulu, and Netflix for a while, and pull down your football games off broadcast (yep - with an old-fashioned loop antenna) signals. In New Orleans broadcast TV is amazingly powerful. It looks a lot better than cable ever did.

Here are all the instructions you need to do this: It's cheap, and you get a LOT more than cable offers you.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44491&highlight=firing+cable+company

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    John H. Carter Co. in Baton Rouge, sales rep and distributor for primarily Fisher Control Valves and Regulators, along with many other process control products (control systems, quarter-turn on/off, instrumentation, pumps, etc.)

Cool deal we had lots of Fisher Control valves at Praxair and we have them at River Bend also.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    :)i have 2 pany plasma's a 42" 720 and a 54" 1080 can't beat them. i think conn"s has a 42 1080p for around $500, can't go wrong.

42" LCDs are plummeting in price now that the LED's and 3-d TVs are out. I subscribed to Newegg's "shellshocker deals" e-blaster newsletter, and I get notified every day of their one-time specials. When the 42" LCD TV I have hit $350 I jumped. I also picked up a 23" LED monitor for $150 from them. It was supposed to be my wife's bedroom TV (been married a while now :rolleyes:), but she said she didn't want it. Now it's in my shop, and I get super-sweet 1080p Blu-Ray quality movies out there. And I can smoke cee-gars too.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    I am normally a samsung guy I have a 32" lcd in my bedroom and love it. But I was looking at them at target yesterday cause I am in the market for another one. Well to the point they have a 32" 720p samsung for $327 right now but it is hanging right next to a 32" 720p Phillips for $299 I may end up with the Phillips just to save a bit. Also target has a westinghouse 40" 1080p for $298 but it's only 60Hz maybe someone else can elaborate on the 60Hz part as I am not to sure. The westinghouse is in their black Friday add but I am pretty sure I saw the same price in the store yesterday, and or it will continue past Friday.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    pretty much any of 'em. mostly get one from some place that you can return it if it goes out. check ou the pictures on them at a store that has alot of them on so you can see the differences in picture quality. wally world is a good place like that. the higher contrast ratio gives a better picture.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    On Friday, 11/26/2010 NewEgg is going to have a Black Friday sale, and they're selling a 42" LCD HDTV for $399 + shipping. That is a FABULOUS deal, and anybody in the market for a TV should look at the product. They don't say what the brand is, but on Friday you can find out.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Plasma will give you more bang for the buck. It has a better picture and is dramatically cheaper than similar sized LCD's. LCD's are brighter but should only be an issue in a very bright room.

LED, refers to the backlighting of the LCD screen. Typically, an LCd screen uses fluorescent backlighting. The LCD screen blocks different spectrum of light as the white light passes through to create colors. This makes it bright but also suffers because some light always gets through and it makes blacks not as deep. Other colors like red can be off as well.

Plasma screens illuminate each pixel and therefore can be totally off to produce very deep blacks. This is also why they aren't as bright. Plasma screens have a wider viewing area also. LCD color varies slightly as you view from angles when compared to direct on.

A set that is rated or claimed to be 3D or 3d ready will not have any better or worse image when playing 2D. A TV that is 3D requires more processing power to display the two images necessary to make 3D.

The frequency is a representation of the screen refresh rate. 120HZ will refresh a single frame of video on the screen 120 times a second. That sounds like a lot but video is typically 24 frames per second or more. So 120HZ refreshes the video image 5 times a second. This is very noticeable on fast moving images such as football or other sports. Plasma screens refresh faster than the fastest LCD's and will have a better image of fast moving footage. There are other considerations with refresh rates and frame rates but in general, the higher it is the sharper the image will be.

I like Panasonic and Samsung plasma televisions. Both offer good quality and value. Go to a showroom and look at the screens for yourself.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I can't afford to be picky. To me they're all really good.

When I was a teenager I was REALLY into car stereo, and I spent everything I could find on the stereo in my car. Noise reduction and high-quality cassette tapes were the name of the game, and when correctly balanced and employed they produced what we considered to be comparatively fine sound. We studied it. We experimented. We took it very seriously.

One day with my brother in the car we were arguing about which noise reduction system (Dolby B or C) was best. To demonstrate my point I reached over to the stereo and pressed the noise reduction button to turn it off. Noise reduction turned on. It had been off all the time, and I didn't know it!

I learned something that day. Most people - myself included - can't tell if the technology they're watching/listening to is the latest and greatest unless they hear/see the two technologies immediately side by side.

Don't waste your money on the latest and greatest. Odds are you can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom