Typical Louisiana "Somebody Pay My Brother" legislation...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I was kind of on board until I saw the process, these police cars would be constantly scanning for violators, and one is picked up, a ticket would be mailed? I know there were some issues with the red light cameras and speeding cameras misreading license plates and such, can't imagine it will be any better when the cameras are operating from a moving vehicle. Then the driver, who has been wrongly accused of not having insurance, has to either pay a fine or get off of work to prove he is innocent? No way. Why can't it alert the officer at that time so he can stop the driver right then and there? If all is in order, then carry on. With a private company getting the profits out of the deal, is it still a criminal offense? Or will this be like the speeding tickets, just a chance your credit will be hit, something an uninsured motorist likely doesn't put to much stock in anyway. I get nervous when private industry profit gets mixed with my law enforcement.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for police getting uninsured drivers off the road, but this stinks. To many chances for a mistaken hit, leaving a person under the obligation and hardship of losing money and risking discipline at work to prove their innocence. My work would consider this an unexcused absence. Also, if it will issue warrants and such for drivers who do not pay, and fail to prove their innocence, I'm not sure this will be profitable, as I see a whole lot of non-payers. And if it only will fine, be ignored, then hurt a likely already bottom feeding credit score, how will this get uninsured motorists off the road?

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Kind of like the cameras where people were getting tickets in the mail and it was really Texas plates with the same number as the Louisiana plates?
    I have two friends that got tickets in the mail that were TX plates that matched their LA plate number.
    One had traded in his black Honda a year before at the Honda dealer and the car in the picture that came with the ticket was a WHITE CHRYSLER.
    And these tickets were supposed to be VERIFIED by Law Enforcement before issued.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I'm just kinda against almost all computer initiated tickets. My exception is the computer searching for stolen cars and open warrants. That requires active participation by police and the computer is just an aid. For one thing, the computer system requires a private company to have access to people's private data. And two, computers can't use common sense when action may be inappropriate. And three, the profit motive just seems not right.

I'd be a bit more open if the police purchased the hardware and software for the system and ran it themselves as opposed to a company receiving a portion of the take. Generating revenue is not a proper function of police. It is protecting the welfare of the public.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Exactly.

This is simply a money grab.

The system should notify an officer, who pulls the car over and impounds the car for no insurance. Not some ticket in the mail to his momma house ********, while some crony gets a thick cut.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Yall are spot on.

If it notified the officer of warrants I could find that useful. It would also be good for BOLO's I guess if that is what they actually call them. The spying for lapsed insurance or other things makes my hairs stand up a little but its nothing he couldnt do now without the aid of extra software and as stated many times your plates have no right to priviacy. I think a fully automated system should be a no go. Too many other types agencies have abused these fully automated kind of systems with a lack of intelegent oversight, creating hours of pointless red tape for millions of citizens and business owners. Cash grab plain and simple.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Yall are spot on.

If it notified the officer of warrants I could find that useful. It would also be good for BOLO's I guess if that is what they actually call them. The spying for lapsed insurance or other things makes my hairs stand up a little but its nothing he couldnt do now without the aid of extra software and as stated many times your plates have no right to priviacy. I think a fully automated system should be a no go. Too many other types agencies have abused these fully automated kind of systems with a lack of intelegent oversight, creating hours of pointless red tape for millions of citizens and business owners. Cash grab plain and simple.

ALPR mounted units are deployed already and, like other have mentioned, work by sending the officer an alert, who then stops the car for a violation. It has resulted in drug, human trafficking, felony warrant, and many other types of arrests. Your hairs are safe...this time...:D

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    ALPR mounted units are deployed already and, like other have mentioned, work by sending the officer an alert, who then stops the car for a violation. It has resulted in drug, human trafficking, felony warrant, and many other types of arrests. Your hairs are safe...this time...:D

Seems you edited your post in the interest of civility so, I will too.

Again no humans involved should always be a no go.

Sending info to officer and allowing the officer to make a stop could be very useful but has plenty of potential for abuse.

Edit again with exibit A:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...f-state-gun-owners-for-traffic-stop-searches/

Last edited:

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    this is just another bs money grab scheme...
    I'd gladly pay more in taxes to hire more LEO's to go out and do police work, traffic enforcement, etc.. but I sure as hell would not support this.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    So, If I'm knowingly driving around with no insurance and get a ticket in the mail will make me run down and buy insurance + pay the ticket?

no, you will likely ignore it and let your already abysmal credit bleed some more, and keep driving because your car was not impounded. But I, who has insurance but got a picture in the mail of a different car, will be faced with paying, or losing a days pay and risking attendance probation, because I am the type of guy who's credit means something to me, hence I always carry insurance.

Then I will get in a hit and run with you.:puke:

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So, If I'm knowingly driving around with no insurance and get a ticket in the mail will make me run down and buy insurance + pay the ticket?

no, you will likely ignore it and let your already abysmal credit bleed some more, and keep driving because your car was not impounded. But I, who has insurance but got a picture in the mail of a different car, will be faced with paying, or losing a days pay and risking attendance probation, because I am the type of guy who's credit means something to me, hence I always carry insurance.

Then I will get in a hit and run with you.:puke:

You two just explained what is wrong with our society. We punish the honest and do nothing to really stop the dirtbags.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    As an insurance agent I can't tell you how often the state insurance database is wrong... plus if you let your insurance lapse there's about a 3 month delay before it gets entered into the system.

BTW, if you're one of those people that waits to pay your insurance at the last minute (a pending cancellation notice is sent to you by the insurance company then you pay it) you're much more likely to end up with an erroneous flag.

Also, people that drive without insurance are already being financially penalized fairly heavily by DMV. Every short term lapse is $125 and the longer its lapsed the higher the fine. If that doesn't deter people from driving uninsured, will a mailed ticket matter? Now getting pulled over gets their attention.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The only thing that is added now is the use of the camera. Running plates at random to gain PC has been used in LEO work for many years. When you run a plate you get all the information on the vehicle including insurance status. Now running the plates is just automated.

Top Bottom