Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) Builds...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I'm reading a 700 page master thread on another forum right on the UDS. It looks pretty straight forward, but I'd like to hear and see how people here built and tweaked their own. Modifications, Tips and Tricks, How you are building the fire and regulating temp, etc.

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    Go back to that forum( BBQ Bretheren) and at the bottom of the page enter in the Google secftion " if a redneck" and you will find the basics to build the UDS.This is the plan i have used to build all 4 i have built. Just a basic no frills model. You will love how ez it is to use.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I built mine with a valve to regulate air and 3 additional holes with plugs in them. Well the plugs are rusted shut and I never have to adjust the valve. If I did it again I would have inlet hole and make sure the outlet was on the opposite side of the drum. I picked up a Weber Kettle lid that was damaged for a song and have two cooking grates. I built my charcoal box out of expanded steel, I just used stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold it together and used machine screws and washers to make feet to keep it a couple inches off the bottom.

The basket holds about 15 lbs of charcoal and runs about 20 hours at 250 ish.

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    I only used 3 holes. One for the 3/4" ball valve and i put 3/4" pipe nipples with caps on the other 2. When i take the caps off i hit the nipples with a blast of cheap cooking spray to keep them from rusting.I built my box 14" x14" x14" square. Only reason for using
    14" was the fact that's what was in the scrap bin at work.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I have wanted to build one of these for a long while. Not to hijacking this thread, but can anyone point me in the right direction to find a drum?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I have a weber lid on mine as well. I started with the two ports plus a control valve, but eventually added and electronic air controller. The controller makes a very good smoker an awesome smoker. I can set it at whatever temp and walk away from it with any worry. Personally, I would start with an unlined drum. Drums and Containers in Prairieville has them for around $50, which is high. I would also check with scrap yards. I also picked up an aluminum replacement charcoal door from brinkman to add, but I have not done it yet. I made my charcoal basket out of expanded steel and a spare 18" grate that I had.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I got mine from drums and containers, it was nice to start with a new drum, but I wouldn't rule out a used one if it wasn't lined and you knew what was stored in it.

I control my temp on how much charcoal I light. I just use Kingsford, I light anywhere from 8-12 briquettes in a chimney to get the temp I want and put them in the middle of my filled charcoal basket. It stays within 20 degrees of my desired temp for 18-20 hours, it is amazing how such a simple design works so well. I use foil bombs with Pecan wood or shells for the smoke flavor, sometimes I use fig, when my apple tree gets big enough I hope to use some of the apple wood branches from trimming each season. In a pinch I have used oak.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I highly recommend starting with a new barrel. No worries about what was in it before. Just start drilling and you are done in under 1 hr. Here is the video of mine. I have since added a rack about 3 inches above the top of the fire basket and put a water pan there. I then also added another grill about 3 inches above that one. So now I can do 6 porks butts at once instead of 3. I also added the Ique 110 air controller, which is not needed, but fun to use.

I also start my fire by lighting half a charcoal chimney of coal and then pour that into a hole I have made right in the middle of the charcoal in the basket. You can just put as much charcoal in the basket as you like because once you close the valve and cover the vent holes, the fire will go out and you can reuse the coal for the next cook.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You guys have sold me on the Ique.

I've got 2 or 3 new open top, unlined drums that are begging to be worked on.

Just have too many other projects going on right now to start!

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Latest scores:

$30 "donor" 22.5" Weber off CL for lid and grate:

Nipples, Nipples, Nipples from Habitat Rehab store:

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Thanks for all the tips.

I highly recommend starting with a new barrel. No worries about what was in it before. Just start drilling and you are done in under 1 hr. Here is the video of mine. I have since added a rack about 3 inches above the top of the fire basket and put a water pan there. I then also added another grill about 3 inches above that one. So now I can do 6 porks butts at once instead of 3. I also added the Ique 110 air controller, which is not needed, but fun to use.

Great video. I have an old dolly, too. I was going to use an old lawnmower base, but seeing that dolly, that's the way I'll go.

Last edited:

nuclearmac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    i used a gallon tin can,, both ends cut out,made a bail from wire,to grab with tongs or whatever to pull can, put it in center of charcoal basket ,put charcoal around it and dumped lit coals into than pulled out gallon can. also mounted a shelf on to side ,of uds and mounted a paper towel rack underneath..

I also start my fire by lighting half a charcoal chimney of coal and then pour that into a hole I have made right in the middle of the charcoal in the basket. You can just put as much charcoal in the basket as you like because once you close the valve and cover the vent holes, the fire will go out and you can reuse the coal for the next cook.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom