UPDATE: Cannizarro Refuses to Charge; A friend was involved in a shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    well, if its felonious, you could make a citizens arrest for the felonious charge. I think its in no way a 'good shoot' but my opinion is based on my experience and 19th JDC. I am unfamiliar with the DA and NO JDC and any case where a car burglar was shot and the shooter cleared here in the greater Baton Rouge Area.

I stand corrected. Is there a link to the case you mention?

Sean Minor, New Orleans East. Shot and killed a man attempting to burglarize his vehicle from his third floor balcony 30yds away. Grand jury declined to indict. And more recently, a few years ago a personal friend of mine shot and killed an unarmed burglar in a detached garage on his property, which happened to be about 3 blocks away from the case being discussed. No charges were filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Sure.

Ernie Gamin.

But(!!) he is absolutely NOT responsible for anything I say concerning his class.

I will modify my last statement. Unless he was making an effort to enter my home, a strong effort... Essentially I can't run out of my home and protect our shop/separate garage.

If I see the guy walk around my car, no. My car is parked two steps from the porch. The minute he steps onto my porch, walking straight for our glass French doors, yes I'd shoot through them. But if he steps on the porch to walk across towards the shop, no. He would not be entering the house. It's subtle nuance. But a big difference.

THIS.

you clowns shoot a burglar, you will get hammered. I don't care what 'good shoot' or obscure case you read.

I don't care if he had a shirt on saying 'I'm a burglar' and a bullhorn screaming 'I'm stealing your ****'

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    THIS.

you clowns shoot a burglar, you will get hammered. I don't care what 'good shoot' or obscure case you read.

I don't care if he had a shirt on saying 'I'm a burglar' and a bullhorn screaming 'I'm stealing your ****'

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

If they arrested him, I'm sure there are some details that the police know of and the media don't.

JR1572

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    well, if its felonious, you could make a citizens arrest for the felonious charge. I think its in no way a 'good shoot' but my opinion is based on my experience and 19th JDC. I am unfamiliar with the DA and NO JDC and any case where a car burglar was shot and the shooter cleared here in the greater Baton Rouge Area.

I stand corrected. Is there a link to the case you mention?

I've been to district court in NO many times.

It all depends on what side of the bed the judge got up on.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Sean Minor, New Orleans East. Shot and killed a man attempting to burglarize his vehicle from his third floor balcony 30yds away. Grand jury declined to indict. And more recently, a few years ago a personal friend of mine shot and killed an unarmed burglar in a detached garage on his property, which happened to be about 3 blocks away from the case being discussed. No charges were filed.

I don't mean to pry but did he enter the detached garage knowing?

I'm not going to say he murdered the guy. I'm not crying for the thug. But I don't know how I personally stand on protecting property with deadly force. So a 14 yr old wants my radio. I don't know if he deserves to die for just a radio. I do understand the principle though.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    A friend was involved in a shooting

The Minor shooting was 11 years ago. On the heels of Zimmerman case and other things, that would never get by again. The demographics of the shooter and victim may have played a part in that decision also.

JR1572

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I've been to district court in NO many times.

It all depends on what side of the bed the judge got up on.

I can see why the court system may have become more lenient. A few old timers here on Bayou have said a few times, there needs to be a complete scrubbing of certain neighborhoods.

Maybe the judges are feeling it too...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't mean to pry but did he enter the detached garage knowing?

I'm not going to say he murdered the guy. I'm not crying for the thug. But I don't know how I personally stand on protecting property with deadly force. So a 14 yr old wants my radio. I don't know if he deserves to die for just a radio. I do understand the principle though.

His alarm indicated a sensor was tripped in the garage. He grabbed his 870 12GA and flashlight and went to look, even though he assumed it was probably a cat or something. When he went in and flipped on the light, dude was standing there. He told him not to move, dude moved.

Don't get me wrong, how I feel personally and what the law may allow are two different things. I wouldn't shoot someone for breaking into my vehicle, plain and simple. That decision is 50% ethics and 50% it ain't worth the ********.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I just hope im never in a situation where I have to make a decision like that. My biggest fear is a bad shoot, Im afraid of coming upon someone in the dark and being so cautious of them having a weapon and pulling a gun without me knowing..

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    On the heels of Zimmerman case and other things, that would never get by again.

I agree and said that in an earlier post. My point was demographics and what some mexican dude did in Florida should not affect laws that should be black-and-white (no pun intended). The media and public opinion should not affect the outcome of a case. If a dude can blast a guy from a balcony 30yds away and it's called a good shoot, there's no reason this shouldn't be as well.

It was 11 years ago, but unless new relevant legislation has been passed in that time it shouldn't matter if it was 11 or 100 years ago.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A friend was involved in a shooting

Correct.

And that was way before Zimmerman, and even though he was immediately cleared he received many death threats from the guy's friends and family and the whole thing really screwed his life up. He had to sell his house and basically went into hiding for a almost a year, sent his wife and kid to NC and didn't see them for a long time, wore a kevlar vest everywhere he went and generally became very paranoid. Hence my statement "the ********" that comes with it.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    By rule of law and precedent set in previous cases, it would be a good shoot if the kid was behind a secured gate. But, with the current climate, the dude literally could not have picked a worse person or situation to decide to shoot someone.

I think you might be wrong here. If the guy was advancing towards you the yeah, but not just because he climbed a locked gate. I've seen people arrested for shooting an armed person while he was trying to run off.

MOTOR51

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think you might be wrong here. If the guy was advancing towards you the yeah, but not just because he climbed a locked gate. I've seen people arrested for shooting an armed person while he was trying to run off.

MOTOR51

No one can say who is wrong or right, because the outcomes fluctuate so much. And I'm not saying the gate is a definitive determining factor, simply evidence of intent to commit a crime.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    His alarm indicated a sensor was tripped in the garage. He grabbed his 870 12GA and flashlight and went to look, even though he assumed it was probably a cat or something. When he went in and flipped on the light, dude was standing there. He told him not to move, dude moved.

Don't get me wrong, how I feel personally and what the law may allow are two different things. I wouldn't shoot someone for breaking into my vehicle, plain and simple. That decision is 50% ethics and 50% it ain't worth the ********.

Oh no doubt. If you're not charged or acquitted, you're not done. By a long shot.

Thinking about your friend. He was between a rock and hard place. I'd call it a "good" outcome. I mean, your alarm triggers, you think it's a cat but you know how the world is and you don't want to go out there alone. But you have to fix the alarm. What do you do? That one is tough.

Top Bottom