*UPDATE* post #31 ...Army Bans High-Performance Rifle Mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    What part of troops buying personal individual combat equipment sounds like a good idea?

What this guy said!!! When your life depends on it everyday in a war zone you want something that you are comfortable with and can depend on. Since most serious soldiers train like they fight you will see this equipment during training as well. I guess for you there is nothing better than putting your life on the line with equipment made by the lowest bidder!! ◄ (a little exaggeration so don't jump me!!)

What do you do for the USAF? Grunts often buy their own kit and it's often a great idea.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    What do you do for the USAF? Grunts often buy their own kit and it's often a great idea.

Not saying its bad for troops to buy some of there own personal gear, but realize what is happening here. This is not guys buying better socks or rifle slings, these are rifle mags. My comment was geared towards allowing individuals to buy items that could effect actual combat effectiveness. Have the mags been tested as compatible with the SAW, with other NATO rifles, will they withstand sustained heat, and what happens when we deploy units to sustained arctic conditions?

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Prior to our deployment to Iraq we were required to purchase lots of equipment out of our pockets, like saw and m240 "nut sacks" made by the local "tactical taylor" also we had to buy and fill our own first aid kits as we couldn't get anything at all for them, but we were issued like 12 awesome camelbacks apiece.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not saying its bad for troops to buy some of there own personal gear, but realize what is happening here. This is not guys buying better socks or rifle slings, these are rifle mags. My comment was geared towards allowing individuals to buy items that could effect actual combat effectiveness. Have the mags been tested as compatible with the SAW, with other NATO rifles, will they withstand sustained heat, and what happens when we deploy units to sustained arctic conditions?

The PMAG is not STANAG Compliant. Baghdad is the epitome of sustained heat. Im not a PMAG fan but your criticisms don't fit.

22lr

The Lost Hoosier
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Bossier City
    The PMAG is not STANAG Compliant. Baghdad is the epitome of sustained heat. Im not a PMAG fan but your criticisms don't fit.

Not being STANAG compliant was my point there. The current GI mag is, Pmags are not. That was just a few questions that raise significant red flags for me. Now I have a theory that someone within NATO raised the point about compliance and since those kind of agreements are taken seriously (at least by the US high level brass) the memo was issued. I have no clue if thats what happened, but that would connect the logical dots. Also my issue is not with any particular mag, Pmags have shown some kind of sustained heat capability. But they are not the only aftermarket mags out there.

Please note I have no issue with personal kit and gear, that is not my issue nor my point. My problem was with leaving something as vital as rifle magazines up to personal acquisition. I didn't make that clear, but since this was a thread about rifle mags, I thought it was more or less implied. Although on that note I think that raises the point that we need to revamp our acquisition strategy to find gear that works, having guys just buy there own personal gear is not a good long term solution.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's going to be a bit of a backlash when the M27's start hitting more and more units. As far as Magpul is concerned, only their emags work in them, the pmags won't fly. The machine gunner will be issued a whopping 22 mags, but if the other guys aren't carrying the right stuff, there will be issues.

I'm using magpul as the example since I figure that's what most here are going to be familiar with.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The M27 is only being fielded by the USMC. The ban being discussed is an Army ban. The EMag is better than the PMAG for a few reasons. The M27 feeds GI Mags fine as well.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Amazingly it's one of the few times we get new equipment, but if it catches on then other branches may add it to their armories as well. I'd just hate to be the guy running the M27 and someone tosses me a tapco mag

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom