***UPDATED***Need some help......... Have an interview tomorrow!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    First off, I am excited to have an interview tomorrow. But on the other hand I am a little nervous!!!

I have to take an aptitude test that has some chemistry in it from what I am told. Needless to say, not my greatest subject.

Who has an idea of what they might ask so I can try and be a little prepared. From my understanding it is for a "Mud Engineer" position.

Last edited:

billy308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    The object is to keep the Demon in the hole . Drilling mud is used as a lubricant while making hole . It also servers as weight material to keep theDemon in the hole . Gas deposits lighten the weight material that is being pumped down hole to hold the Demon back . Very high pressures .II'm better at the math than the cheem But it's not Rocket surgery. When i worked out there i was not a mud logger ,I was a roughneck . You are a smart guy and do welk . Tell them who you are .

billy308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    and appertlly after the proof read ,I suck at typing on a cell phone and spelling !

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    Few rules of thumb for mud engineers:
    Doctors bury their mistakes, mud engineers run water
    White **** thickens and black **** thins
    When in doubt go to the spout
    Oil & water do not mix, unless you are a mud engineer

All kidding aside, there are many aspects to being a mud engineer: Clay Chemistry and math are the foundation for everything they do. Don't be too worried about what you don't know, be positive and let them know your ability to learn. Each mud company will have a mud school that you will attend and do field training with a competent mud engineer. So it is more important to show your willingness to be a team player and that you will represent which ever mud company with pride and professionalism.
    Mud Engineering is not rocket science (sometimes it feels like it), but if you are good at it, it will open many doors to you in the future. There are many mud engineers on Bayou Shooter, I myself being one many years ago and I am sure that most (if not all) will be glad to help in any way we can no matter which company you work at. Because our industry (oil & gas) needs people who are willing to stand & fight when others run away, and realize that jobs have to be earned through hard work.
    John

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I'm sure it's basic chemistry. Might be something concerning the pH scale and where does water fall on it. Possibly name a few key elements by their symbol (Hydrogen = H, Sodium = Na, Chlorine = Cl, etc).

All kidding aside, there are many aspects to being a mud engineer: Clay Chemistry and math are the foundation for everything they do. Don't be too worried about what you don't know, be positive and let them know your ability to learn. Each mud company will have a mud school that you will attend and do field training with a competent mud engineer. So it is more important to show your willingness to be a team player and that you will represent which ever mud company with pride and professionalism.
    Mud Engineering is not rocket science (sometimes it feels like it), but if you are good at it, it will open many doors to you in the future. There are many mud engineers on Bayou Shooter, I myself being one many years ago and I am sure that most (if not all) will be glad to help in any way we can no matter which company you work at. Because our industry (oil & gas) needs people who are willing to stand & fight when others run away, and realize that jobs have to be earned through hard work.
    John

Couldn't have said it better!

Last edited:

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I'm a mud engineer and now help run NOV's drilling fluid laboratory here in Lafayette. If you need some help just let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Awesome, that's what I wanted to be when I was roughnecking, couldn't stop working for school though. If something goes wrong, its your fault :-). Good luck, hope all works out Boose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles

John

I'm sure it's basic chemistry. Might be something concerning the pH scale and where does water fall on it. Possibly name a few key elements by their symbol (Hydrogen = H, Sodium = Na, Chlorine = Cl, etc).

Couldn't have said it better!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Hopefully you can see that I am very interested in this. It is something that I have a genuine interest in. I just want to be as prepared as I possibly can.

One of my greatest strengths that I have is my ability to learn things at an accelerated pace. I just want the opportunity to show that not only can I learn but also be a great asset. Everyone has to start somewhere!!!

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    So, completed the interview and I am back at home now. Apparently I know more chemistry than I thought and less algebra.

I passed the test and did the interview and now I wait. This is the worst part of a job search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom